U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 04:16 PM

4,074 posts, read 6,416,683 times

Advertisements

I am considering an Oak Island rental and I did expect to pay more for renter's insurance because of the hurricane issue. I called State Farm Ins and sure enough they will not insure a home on Oak Island but will provide a state run insurance policy. This policy is about four times a normal policy. Is there any alternative other than doing without insurance? Like using another insurance company or going direct to the state? Secondly I was shocked to see the increase in auto insurance. The rate I was given was a high as what I would pay in Philadelphia, PA. Yet in western NC rates are much later. Comments appreciated, thanks.
Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 06:35 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times
When I lived there (been about 10 years) we insured with Farm Bureau. That was about all the insured there, even then. The agent worked out of his home on the island, but I do not remember his name.

lln

Old 03-10-2009, 07:42 PM

196 posts, read 517,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I am considering an Oak Island rental and I did expect to pay more for renter's insurance because of the hurricane issue. I called State Farm Ins and sure enough they will not insure a home on Oak Island but will provide a state run insurance policy. This policy is about four times a normal policy. Is there any alternative other than doing without insurance? Like using another insurance company or going direct to the state? Secondly I was shocked to see the increase in auto insurance. The rate I was given was a high as what I would pay in Philadelphia, PA. Yet in western NC rates are much later. Comments appreciated, thanks.
Don
If you are a homeowner I'd give your present insurer a call. They may provide some form of addendum? extension? off your present policy to cover your temp. rental. Think auto insurance...you rent a car most policies extend whatever coverage you have onto that rental. I suspect with the house rental you will pay something but hopefully not the 4X sticker shock you mentioned. Good Luck.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 PM

4,074 posts, read 6,416,683 times
State Farm is my current insurer and I've been with them for more than thirty years. I was hoping to hear from someone who rents a home on Oak Island and has renter's insurance.

LLN
Thanks for the tip. The closest Farm Bureau agent I found so far is in Southport. I will call him tomorrow. Thanks.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:07 PM

214 posts, read 736,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Don
Renters insurance should easily be obtained, and not expensive at all.
You are only covering the contents of the interior, not the exterior, right?
Don't forget State Farm got slammed after Katrina, I am surprised they are still in business at all. Farm Bureau is a good place to start, plus start surfin the web. Safeco is a good reasonable car insurance company, they too can be found on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina