U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:23 PM

412 posts, read 1,109,487 times

Advertisements

Actually I just peeked at the Hamsptead schools....it looks like you might be able to find some good schools there - in particular the Topsail schools. Hampstead is in Pender County by the way (if you want to use my NC Report Cards link).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 05:39 PM

291 posts, read 766,916 times
Hampstead is a nice area for both families and retirees. We seem to have a good mix here of both. This is an unincorporated town as I mentioned on another post, so to find the stats on city-data, you have to look at "Topsail Township". I think we have roughly 13,800 people in 157 square miles which include part of Topsail Island (look down below the cities list on the larger cities in NC for the "Township list") Most of the lots here are at the least 1/2 acre. I hear good things about the schools, but I can't really speak to this since we moved here after our kids were grown and gone. We did tour the beautiful new Topsail High School and it was really lovely and made us proud! We have a great little library and plans are in the works for a new one. We have a park that is nice for the little ones - you can see it if you google Kiwanis Park Hampstead. You can go to www.carolinacoastonline and then click on Topsail Voice for the local newspaper. It only comes out once a week, and you can't get the whole thing online, but might be of interest. You can explore Welcome to Pender County, NC for a look at the whole county including Hampstead. Also look at Home Page for information of Poplar Grove Plantation which has a wonderful farmers' market during spring and summer every Weds. and a great Halloween festival for kids of all ages - the Herb Fair is coming up the end of the month! The plantation is just minutes south of Hampstead in Scotts Hill,which is another really nice area. I know there are websites that give info to compare all NC schools, but I don't know the web addresses, hope someone else will help you out with that. I have moved a lot in my life and know it is hard to leave somewhere you love. That being said, I have always found good people and good opportunities everywhere I have been! Best wishes to you as you make this decision! Will you get a chance to come down here and explore before making up your mind?

Old 03-16-2009, 07:09 AM

10 posts, read 25,002 times
Thank you again for the replies. I looked at real estate in Hampstead and it seems like a nice quiet wooded area (with good schools). I'm imagining myself with a palm tree in the front yard and I can't picture it! lol The "regular" trees in Hampstead were a refreshing sight! lol Someone mentioned that it might be a little bit too "country" outside of the Wilmington city limits, but I'm a little worried that Wilmington might be too much city. I don't mind a 10-15 min drive to the grocery store or Target. I would rather drive a few mins than hear traffic or trains from my living room. I guess the key will be finding a place that has a nice balance of not too much seclusion, but not too much noise either.

MTNesters, we will have the chance to come down once before we make our decision, thankfully. But it will be a quick trip. I'd like to have places in mind to check out before we get down there.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:31 PM

291 posts, read 766,916 times
I'm always glad to get back to my peaceful spot in Hampstead after a shopping expedition to Wilmington. It is a bit more than 15 minutes to Target though! - more like 30 or so. Only about 25 minutes to Mayfaire shopping center which is my favorite. For retail, Hampstead has: Food Lion, Lowe's Home Improvement store (Surf City), getting a Harris Teeter there also(NICE grocery store), CVS Pharmacy, 3 different dollar stores, several little restaurants, only Hardee's for fast food at this point, Domino's Pizza, Ace Hardware, some little gift stores that are nice, Port City Java. These are just a few - there is a lot more in Surf City and over on the beach.....plenty for daily needs with a weekly shopping expedition to Wilmington, you will be set.... I had no idea we were so "country"! i'm not sure Wilmington Angel has been up this way lately! Or has been off of Hwy 17 as he/she drives through here....there is a lot more that people don't see just driving through!
From what you have said, I think you might like Hampstead, or else the "southern part" of Wilmington down along S. College Road - lots of nice subdivisions there.....
Hope you can come here in the spring and see how pretty it all is in bloom!And hope you will find the perfect place for your family!

Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 PM

49 posts, read 136,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonangel View Post
FYI Any areas outside of Wilmington are going to be very "country" and might be a huge culture shock to you. Hampstead is a small town and you might prefer to be closer to the shopping, activities, etc. that Wilmington offers.

I totally agree!! Hampstead and Burgaw are nice but it's the country
It's quiet but some what far away from shopping and "town". There are some very good public schools: Ogden and Eaton Elementary Schools are two that we are zoned for. My son goes to Friends School of Wilmington a wonderful private montessori school. I highly recommend it! Also Wilmington Christian and St. Marks are suppose to be very good.

I wouldn't worry about anyone's accent-Wilmington really is becoming a melting pot of Brooklyn, Boston, Long Is, and Southern accents. I think it would be strange if you didn't have an accent! Soon you'll be saying ya'll, drinking sweet tea and eating grits! Don't worry!

Old 03-17-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonmom View Post
I totally agree!! Hampstead and Burgaw are nice but it's the country
It's quiet but some what far away from shopping and "town". There are some very good public schools: Ogden and Eaton Elementary Schools are two that we are zoned for. My son goes to Friends School of Wilmington a wonderful private montessori school. I highly recommend it! Also Wilmington Christian and St. Marks are suppose to be very good.

I wouldn't worry about anyone's accent-Wilmington really is becoming a melting pot of Brooklyn, Boston, Long Is, and Southern accents. I think it would be strange if you didn't have an accent! Soon you'll be saying ya'll, drinking sweet tea and eating grits! Don't worry!
"Ya'll". That makes me smile!

30 minutes to Target? Maybe I should look closer to town. I'll have to check out both areas when we're down there next week. Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond ~ I appreciate it.

wilmingtonmom, tell me more about Friends School of Wilmington. I checked out the website and I'm intrigued. Is it pricey?

This might be asking a lot, but can anyone recommend names of subdivisions or neighborhoods we can drive through while we're there checking things out? It's one thing to see these developments on a website, but they could be completely different in person...

THANK YOU!!

Old 03-20-2009, 06:51 PM

49 posts, read 136,948 times
Friends school is a quaker montessori private school. Small classes with wonderful teachers. The school is on pine grove ave. If you are at all interested, call them and ask about touring the campus. How old are your kids? Are you familar with Montessori? I can't say enough nice things about the school. Tuition depends on your children's ages and "grade level" . They do have fin. aid available. Just heard about a new scholarship program that is open for new students and pays full tuition.

We live in Marsh Oaks which is in north New hanover county. Very nice neighborhood with tons of kids and animals. Again we are in the ogden, eaton school dist. Very good public schools. (eaton is year round and you get in through a lottery system)

North chase may be another area to check out.

I don't know that much about the neighborhoods down towards Carolina Beach but I'm sure someone on here does.

fyi- You will pass Marsh Oaks on the way to Hampstead.

Last edited by wilmingtonmom; 03-20-2009 at 07:00 PM..

Old 03-21-2009, 03:12 PM

4 posts, read 9,450 times
Default Michigan vs Wilmington, NC

With your small children, I would consider the Leland area or the Oak Island/Southport area. Leland would put you about 15/20 minutes from Wilmington, depending on what part of Wilmington. But shopping is tough...not many places to shop, but it saves $$ too...Oak Island has a beach, so it depends how often you like to hit the coast..Oak Island is about 45 minutes from Wilmington...not a big night life, but a safer community... (8,000 people max)

Quote:
Originally Posted by so much to think about View Post
Hello,

I live in a small southeast Michigan suburb (15K people). My husband received a job offer in Wilmington. We are MI born and raised, and are sad to consider leaving our town, but with MI's economy the way it is we are heavily considering this job offer. We have 2 children. Our oldest will be starting Kindergarten this fall. For anyone that has relocated their family, I don't need to tell you the roller coaster of emotions we are struggling with right now.

I would like information on Wilmington and the surrounding areas. Safe family neighborhoods, good schools, fun things to do. Ideally, we would like to find a home in the $200K-$240K range that isn't identical to the house next door and has a bigger than postage stamp size yard. We don't want to end up in the middle of nowhere either. Looking on-line I'm seeing a lot of neighborhoods with beautiful websites, but what is it like in real life? I'm also finding disheartening information about the crime levels in Wilmington. I know absolutely nothing about the area so I am trying to find as much information as I can. My husband would be willing to commute up to 45 mins to work if there are better options outside of the area.

Anything you can add would be so appreciated!

Thank you!

Old 03-21-2009, 04:22 PM

92 posts, read 202,242 times
You might try neighborhoods near Monkey Junction - Woods Edge, Beacon Woods, Greenbriar. They are convenient to everything (about 20 mins-1/2 hr. to downtown) and have homes in your price range. They are in good school districts, also.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:30 AM

Default UPDATE (a small one)

I just wanted to say thank you for your posts. My family and I drove down earlier this week to check out the area. I wish we could have been there when the trees/flowers were in bloom!

wilmingtonmom, we drove through Marsh Oaks and walked through the model that was open. BEAUTIFUL!!! Unfortunately for us, the $500K price tag is a bit steep. I keep seeing that orangeish colored house for sale online and it was funny to drive right by it! lol

We also went up to Hampstead and drove through a couple neighborhoods up there. Question for you: the signs said Topsail was still approx 20 miles away, but aren't the Topsail schools where Hampstead is zoned for? Are the schools really 20 miles away?

We were really pressed for time, so we didn't get to see as much as we wanted to, but we hope we got a good idea of the area. Seems clean & safe. There was more traffic than what we're used to, but there's nothing we can do about that so hopefully eventually we would adjust. Overall, it seems like a nice area.

Thanks again for all the input. If there is anything else you can think of please shout it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina