U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:31 AM

148 posts, read 556,350 times

Advertisements

I Know Hampstead has been mentioned, and everytiime I drive thru it I like the looks of it. When I see the schools there, I could see my kids goin there....I like it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 05:21 PM

291 posts, read 768,352 times
Default Hampstead info

Hi - Glad you made it down to this area and glad you liked it. Also glad you came up to give Hampstead a look-see! The schools in Hampstead are on the mainland and very centrally located. South Topsail elementary is down on the south end (to try to make it easy - maybe it is five minutes from the Food Lion at Hwy 17 and 210) North Topsail elementary is up on Sloop Point Loop Rd. - not too far down the road from the Kiwanis Park. The Middle School(right on Hwy 17 just north of the library) is being converted to a new elementary school (which it was originally and then when they built the two new elementaries, they changed it to a middle school)...now the old high school will be remodeled into the middle school - and we have a gorgeous brand new high school.

I think the sign you might be referring to references "Topsail Beach". There are three towns on Topsail ISLAND and TB is the southernmost town. It gets a little confusing since our schools are called Topsail schools, but they don't really have anything to do with the island...they are all on the mainland and I guess they are called Topsail schools since Hampstead is an unincorporated area and we are really "Topsail Township" which I think(?) I may have mentioned in an earlier post. For folks who live on the mainland, the schools are no more than 5-10 minutes away.

I know the school boundaries have changed recently, so you will want to be sure you get within the boundaries you would like for you little one. If you have any questions about specific neighborhoods, don't hesitate to send me a direct message...

Good luck with your move!

Old 03-30-2009, 06:20 AM

9 posts, read 31,321 times
Hi! We moved to Wilmington from PA last summer and spent months looking for a house before deciding to have one built in Hampstead. We also have school-age children (1st-grader) and I was very impressed with the Topsail school system (from what I hear, one of the top systems in the state). I don't think it's been posted before, but check out the website 'greatschools.net' which rates public schools. It's a great reference. My daughter is now attending Ogden Elementary, but I am very excited for her to start at South Topsail Elementary next fall. I agree that Hampstead is more 'country', but it has the essentials, and to tell you the truth after being here for 9 months, I don't see it taking any more time to get to Wilmington shopping from where we'll be in Hampstead than from where we are (Ogden area) now. We are off of Market Street now and with the traffic and lights it can take me 20 minutes to get to Target or College Rd. (where shopping is) right now. From Hampstead, I can jump on Rt. 40 and probably be there in the same amount of time, if not quicker, without the headache! The beaches are nice, and you'll need them because it definitely gets HOT in the summer! The Topsail beach area (Surf City, Topsail Beach, etc.) is nice and not as crowded as Wrightsville during busy tourist season.
Best of luck with your move - I know it's a hard decision - I struggled too! I hope you and your family find everything that you're looking for! - Laura

Old 04-16-2009, 06:36 AM

10 posts, read 25,028 times
ONE MORE QUESTION:

When does school start in Wilmington? We start here the first week in September, but I know it's sooner down there. This will help determine our move date.

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:30 PM

5 posts, read 8,948 times
We moved from the nawth also, and were warmly welcomed, and no one mentioned anything to any of my kids about the way they talk. The school systems and teachers are not the reason the test scores seem low, in my experience. The teachers are great, but some of the locals just are not interested in learning, which pulls down the scores for the entire school. Just be sure your school has tracking for above- average or gifted students. My son is headed to Chapel Hill this fall, and has done well in these school with some fiercly dedicated teachers. (Our schools were Forest Hills Elem, Williston Middle School , New Hanover High School.)

Old 05-07-2009, 09:35 PM

State law directs that schools cannot start before August 25th, and this year that is the start date. Google New Hanover County Schools for the calendar and other information.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:48 PM

FSW is a good school, but the social life was awful for our child. It is a small community with a small number of students, so you need to be sure your child has at least one person there who can be a friend.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:09 PM

332 posts, read 1,315,427 times
Something to keep in mind about choosing a home in New Hanover county based on school district... they can be rezoned. So, please, consider every option about choosing to purchase a home in a certain area. I can't tell you how many irate parents I met (and many rightly so) because they purchased for a particular school and ended up zoned into another.

Those boundaries are not permanent and will continue to evolve as needs evolve.

Lots to add about crime/traffic/neighborhoods but please private message if you are interested. I don't want to make too much public just for my own privacy's sake.

Good luck with the move

Old 06-29-2009, 10:33 PM

1 posts, read 948 times
Question relocating

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonmom View Post
We moved to Wilmington 3 years ago, not knowing anything about it. I can honestly say it is one of the nicest and most beautiful places we have ever lived. You can certainly find a lovely home in that price range. Are you looking for private or public schools? The crime stats. are only in certain areas. Down town, late at night things. I doubt with two kids you'll be partying it up down there. Wilmington has a lot of new, young families here. We love it here! Good Luck!
Hi,
I need help ASAP. We currently live in NJ. We went to visit NC and put an offer on a house in Wilmington. We, also, do not know much about the area. We have 3 children, 20, 13 and 12 years old. Is Wilmington a good place???? How are the school systems??? I hear Ashley and Hoggard are decent but still not as good as were we live. My husband wants to look further south, Seaport, etc. I heard it is mostly retires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina