U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2019, 12:13 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,357,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
There are several elements to ECU's enrollment decline in addition to what encecu stated about the economy. One is the NC promise scholarship at ECSU and Pembroke. Both schools draw from an area served by ECU so where they have gained enrollment ECU has surely lost. ECU also relies on its athletics (as we've discussed) as a draw and those have withered. Another is that younger generations tend to favor more urban areas and while Greenville is growing it does not have as much to offer in that regard.

If ECU leaders will stop dragging their school through the mud in the headlines I believe we'll see an uptick over the next several years as new initiatives take hold.
ECU gets a ton of students from Mecklenburg county ever year...many of those kids may be heading to Western Carolina with the Promise Plan. The numbers look like this...WCU per semester fee's are $2,110, ECU's are $3,594. For one year that is a savings of roughly $3K...$12K for 4 years.

If I told a high school kid I could shave 12k off his school loan if he went to WCU over ECU...many would take that option.

I think the answer for ECU is to not worry about "growing" the school but instead to maintain its numbers (and raise the profile of its incoming enrollee) as NC's population continues to grow. Its programs are solid, the City is becoming a much better college town and its athletics participate in a major conference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 03:08 PM

1,070 posts, read 983,453 times
With what I said about ECU, WCU is worse. There are nicer community college campuses. Good music program though.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:59 AM

3,321 posts, read 5,182,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
With what I said about ECU, WCU is worse. There are nicer community college campuses. Good music program though.
Plus it's in Cullowhee.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:17 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,433,142 times
I’ve been thinking a lot as of lately about the Tar River and ideas that could make it more of a crown jewel for Greenville. Outside of the gradual update of Town Common and potentially a pedestrian bridge connecting to River Park North, frankly I’m not creative enough to think of what else is needed. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 01-26-2019, 06:09 PM

163 posts, read 114,388 times
If only there were a document that could cement the Tar River's legacy in the public...

Development in the floodplain is very difficult and that makes established activities adjacent to the river hard to develop. The Tar is also still defined as a navigable water of the United States at law and thus development out over the River is limited as the Army Corps will only permit wharf-out rights a short distance. I'd love to see some unpaved trails along the Tar (with appropriate trailheads and signage) to help foster more outdoor activity. We may not have the hills and terrain of parts west of here, but gravel cycling is absolutely blowing up in the bike world and people travel to ride gravel. Visit Greenville is trying to grow Greenville as an active destination, so there could be some synergy there.

And the glorious, unabashed hipster in me would love to see something weird like this pop up on the Tar sometime. Maybe not a water vacuum (although holy cow could the Tar use it), but a floating source of entertainment (an unmoored tiny concert venue?).

Old 01-27-2019, 04:10 AM

245 posts, read 377,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I’ve been thinking a lot as of lately about the Tar River and ideas that could make it more of a crown jewel for Greenville. Outside of the gradual update of Town Common and potentially a pedestrian bridge connecting to River Park North, frankly I’m not creative enough to think of what else is needed. Anyone have any ideas?
Maybe create some public fishing docks/areas. I used to enjoy going down to the Town Common and catching Shad at the boat ramp in the Spring.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:55 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,040,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Iíve been thinking a lot as of lately about the Tar River and ideas that could make it more of a crown jewel for Greenville. Outside of the gradual update of Town Common and potentially a pedestrian bridge connecting to River Park North, frankly Iím not creative enough to think of what else is needed. Anyone have any ideas?
I've mentioned this several times over the life of this thread. The Tar River is the most underutilized asset that Greenville has. Most people only think of it as a nasty muddy river that overflows it's banks and is generally a pain to have. There are ZERO commercial properties like restaurants located on it's banks. It's calm waters are perfect for canoeing and kayaking. It's fresh water and can be swam in yet there are no longer any riverside beaches. Water skiing and jet skiing can easily be done there too. What is wrong?

Old 01-27-2019, 07:37 AM

4,624 posts, read 3,032,686 times
Parks and recreation: City may fund debt to get projects rolling - Daily Reflector

Old 01-27-2019, 02:33 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,746,889 times
The problem with student loans is the “like” word. To many snowflakes pursue what they like rather than what will pay the bills. If the two coincide, great. Otherwise, welcome to Adult 101.

Best advice I’ve seen. When it comes time to pick a major, look at what problems need solving in the next 20 years. Major in that.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:58 AM

3,285 posts, read 5,433,142 times
Staton sees partnership opportunities with city - Daily Reflector

Great thinking City of Greenville and ECU. Again, as I’ve been a proponent of lately, create an entity/commission that allows regular, official dialogue between ECU and the City of Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina