U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2019, 07:28 AM

36 posts, read 27,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
Look out for a major announcement on market-rate housing in the Uptown District tonight.
Looking forward to this. Wasn't Dickinson Edge/University Lofts supposed to include market rate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 09:09 AM

163 posts, read 114,388 times
It technically does, haha. Still, as a young professional that is well past the college life, I don't want to be in the same building as undergraduates. The notion that Dickinson Lofts would gain traction with YPs/millennials was a stretch to begin with. I don't think the market-rate housing is occupied in there currently, though I could be wrong.

Old 03-06-2019, 10:12 AM

1,070 posts, read 983,453 times
I have a dumb question: if market rate is lower than what students traditionally pay then what keeps students from just filling up the market rate apartments?

Old 03-06-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I have a dumb question: if market rate is lower than what students traditionally pay then what keeps students from just filling up the market rate apartments?
Nothing - in fact landlords can't discriminate in renting to undergraduates or not; if they want to rent the market-rate spaces they can.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:51 PM

839 posts, read 1,039,165 times
Quote:
Look out for a major announcement on market-rate housing in the Uptown District tonight.

Very excited! Look forward to seeing the announcement. I'm guessing this would be in the area of that historic house they are trying to get someone to move. We need more market rate housing going forward.

Old 03-06-2019, 05:38 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,433,142 times
Quote:
Any new information?

Old 03-07-2019, 01:10 AM

1,070 posts, read 983,453 times
Taft Family Ventures' new downtown project will target homebuyers - Daily Reflector

I can’t figure out what lot they are referring to. The only thing bordered by Reade, Evans, and Dickinson is the library.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:58 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,039,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Taft Family Ventures' new downtown project will target homebuyers - Daily Reflector

I canít figure out what lot they are referring to. The only thing bordered by Reade, Evans, and Dickinson is the library.
Adjacent to the bankruptcy court, I suppose? Corner of Reade and Dickinson, but not Evans...

Old 03-07-2019, 02:20 AM

Adjacent to the bankruptcy court. The only other lot fitting the description is the Pitt Library parking lot and we would have heard news of the land sale.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:26 AM

Also announcing today: S Greene Street will be undergoing a road diet from at least Dickinson Avenue (could be more, forget) wherein the westernmost north bound lane will be reclaimed as a 7'-0 parking space and 5'-0 bicycle lane (cross-section). City staff recognizes that S Greene is 'overconstructed' in this thoroughfare and is considering further changes in the Uptown area (though they likely can't happen on the same time frame).

The road is entirely city-owned, the road diet only requires thermoplastic paint, so the work should be complete by the end of April.

Finally, the city is exploring the reduction of speed limits on key roads in Uptown/student grid to 25mph, although most already are. Key avenues are:

Reade Circle east of Cotanche to 1st street being reduced to 25mph;
3rd Street from Reade Circle to Meade Street reduced to 25;
1st Street from Pitt St. to Reade Circle reduced to 25.

Further study needed on:

S Pitt Street to 5th Street,
S Greene St to 5th Street, and
Reade Circle 5th Street to Cotanche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina