U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2019, 07:15 AM

3,286 posts, read 5,435,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
Also announcing today: S Greene Street will be undergoing a road diet from at least Dickinson Avenue (could be more, forget) wherein the westernmost north bound lane will be reclaimed as a 7'-0 parking space and 5'-0 bicycle lane (cross-section). City staff recognizes that S Greene is 'overconstructed' in this thoroughfare and is considering further changes in the Uptown area (though they likely can't happen on the same time frame).

The road is entirely city-owned, the road diet only requires thermoplastic paint, so the work should be complete by the end of April.

Finally, the city is exploring the reduction of speed limits on key roads in Uptown/student grid to 25mph, although most already are. Key avenues are:

Reade Circle east of Cotanche to 1st street being reduced to 25mph;
3rd Street from Reade Circle to Meade Street reduced to 25;
1st Street from Pitt St. to Reade Circle reduced to 25.

Further study needed on:

S Pitt Street to 5th Street,
S Greene St to 5th Street, and
Reade Circle 5th Street to Cotanche.
Speed cushions were added to 5th St in front of campus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 07:26 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,359,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Adjacent to the bankruptcy court, I suppose? Corner of Reade and Dickinson, but not Evans...
Must be. Brownstone style would be nice there.Maybe with back entrance access via 8th St.

Also of significant note from the article...

McCarty also announced the company also plans to move its headquarters to a building it is renovating near the intersection of Eighth Street and Dickinson Avenue this fall.

Is this the building on the corner of 8th and Dickinson, which was recently used for the leasing of Dickinson Lofts?

Having Taft relocated downtown from Stantonsburg Rd is very good for downtown...and this corridor...they are doing projects all over the State with headquarters in downtown Greenville.

Also on the Taft Family Ventures website, it lists Moye Medical Building III as on the boards...

https://www.taftfamilyventures.com/on-the-boards

Is this what will go on the corner of Moye and W 5th St across form the Residence Inn? Looks to be a 5 story medical office building.

Old 03-07-2019, 08:01 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,573 times
it will be interesting to see how much these apartments sell for and how long it takes to sell them. It would really be a great location to live if you are a young professional or recently married without kids. You can walk anywhere you want to go uptown. I have to imagine they are going to cost a lot though.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:37 AM

1,069 posts, read 984,724 times
https://www.witn.com/content/news/Fi...506796971.html

Allen Thomas makes it official.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:26 AM

4,632 posts, read 3,041,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I hope the state can find someone competent enough to replace him at GTP.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:43 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,573 times
Does he have to quit his position to run for office or is he still employed while running? Whomever they hire to replace him will not bring to the table what Allen brought.

Here's a rendering of the Apartments on Dickinson...

"Luxury townhome living with priceless Uptown views! Enjoy the vibrancy of an urban lifestyle in one of our 12 exclusive residences. Available for pre-sale beginning in the Spring of 2019. For more information, contact Dustin Mills at Dustin@TaftMillsGroup.com"

I really hope this goes over well so it will encourage other developers to put housing in the Uptown area.

Last edited by jpirate; 03-07-2019 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: e

Old 03-07-2019, 11:19 AM

4,632 posts, read 3,041,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Does he have to quit his position to run for office or is he still employed while running? Whomever they hire to replace him will not bring to the table what Allen brought.
The article mentioned that he was stepping down in a few weeks, so his days at GTP are numbered. As I said before, I think it will be a great thing for ENC if Thomas ends up in Congress, but I also canít help but feel a little disappointed by the announcement because the GTP needs all the help it can get and since Thomas took over, itís starting to show signs of life.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:46 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,435,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post

Here's a rendering of the Apartments on Dickinson...

"Luxury townhome living with priceless Uptown views! Enjoy the vibrancy of an urban lifestyle in one of our 12 exclusive residences. Available for pre-sale beginning in the Spring of 2019. For more information, contact Dustin Mills at Dustin@TaftMillsGroup.com"

I really hope this goes over well so it will encourage other developers to put housing in the Uptown area.
I absolutely love the design and the setup of the place from these preliminary renderings. That said, I feel that corner is too prominent for townhomes. I know the demand may not merit additional market-rate units, but a mixed-use development would be great. Imagine a hotel, creative space and apartments in one building. That corner is the gateway into the Dickinson Corridor/Uptown. I do like how the actual corner of Dickinson and Reade is preserved. Would love to see a pocket park built there.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:22 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I absolutely love the design and the setup of the place from these preliminary renderings. That said, I feel that corner is too prominent for townhomes. I know the demand may not merit additional market-rate units, but a mixed-use development would be great. Imagine a hotel, creative space and apartments in one building. That corner is the gateway into the Dickinson Corridor/Uptown. I do like how the actual corner of Dickinson and Reade is preserved. Would love to see a pocket park built there.
I completely agree. I would have loved to have seen a nice office/retail space there. The townhomes do look lovely, but it looks like it would have been better suited for Dickinson Ave on the other side of the 10th Street bridge where the old used tire shops and some dilapidated houses are.

No way these are selling for less thank 150k. I'd say they'll go for 180-200k each.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:33 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,359,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I think its fine. And its going to happen this way because its what the market will bear. There are three huge complexes within two blocks and the parking on this site is limited. It really will encourage a small city feel too and mesh better with the one or two story corridor of Dickinson Ave.

This could be a model for market housing in downtown Greenville that essentially fills in the vacant spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina