Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2019, 09:23 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,596,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
I agree the State Theater looks better but overall, it's a major disappointment to me. They took an old vintage theater and installed bland commercial strip mall window and doors? Couldn't someone have done a better design job to ensure it retained it's vintage look and feel? Opportunity lost. I know it's not all about the looks, but they blew a great opportunity.
I agree but they barely got the thing open. I guess at least it’s not still just a vacant rundown building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 07:08 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I agree but they barely got the thing open. I guess at least it’s not still just a vacant rundown building.
Agreed. Look at the Lincoln theater in Raleigh (owners of the State Theater), definitely doesn't look like some historic building, looks like a run-of-the-mill nightclub with a nice mural on the side.

I never thought the owner's real plans were to make it a true top quality multi-purpose venue. I haven't gotten the impression that this theater would become a small Thalian Hall or even a Turnage theater type of place in addition to the live music (which is fine, IMO). Looking at their site, it's nothing but live music. They did what they could to get this up and running and had to cut corners somewhere to get it open.

Another reason why I believe they could have saved a lot of time & money by demolishing & rebuilding with different materials and a brick facade that would have matched the rest of the area.

But, that's all in the past. The State theater has at least one event booked on pretty much every week through the end of May. I'd say it's a success so far.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:30 AM

455 posts, read 527,605 times
Quote:
I actually think the windows and doors look ok, but the marquee doesn't flow to me. Maybe something more akin to the Turnage theater would fit better...or a marquee that spans the entire building...I'm not sure

Old 03-17-2019, 02:45 PM

The marquee is so cheap looking. The font sucks, the nautical star makes no relative sense that I’m aware of. It looks like they had a friend cut the letters on a vinyl cutter and pasted them up there.

It wouldn’t have to be as pretty as the Turnage but even a sprucing up to look more like the NorVa’s marquee would be nice. It does at least need to span the length of the building

Old 03-17-2019, 09:06 PM

Staton expected to step down - Daily Reflector

Not the first time this has been reported but there seems to be a bit more confidence this time.

Troy Dreyfus serving on the board would be AWESOME. He is one of the few who has stood up for the university no matter what.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:03 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,817,437 times
Quote:
Staton expected to step down - Daily Reflector

Not the first time this has been reported but there seems to be a bit more confidence this time.
Staton made it official.

https://www.carolinajournal.com/news...s-involvement/

Old 03-18-2019, 05:01 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,817,437 times
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...ick-drive.aspx

Quote:
AYDEN - A section of Pitt County road will be closed for one week while crews with the N.C. Department of Transportation construct a roundabout.

Fredrick Drive in Ayden will be closed between 7 a.m. Tuesday and 5 p.m. on March 26. The area crews will close is at the intersection of N.C. 102. The intersection itself will remain open, but may have daily lane closures to allow crews to safely construct the roundabout.

This project is part of the Southwest Bypass.

During the road closure, traffic will be detoured onto Gumberry Road, Woodview Drive and N.C. 102, or Gumberry Road, Holly Street, Pinewood Drive and Old Snowhill Road.

Drivers should anticipate needing extra time for their commute and need to slow down when approaching the work zone.

For real-time travel information, visit DriveNC.gov​ or follow NCDOT on social media.​

Old 03-18-2019, 06:43 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Why are they putting a roundabout there? No one even uses Fredrick Drive.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:09 PM

217 posts, read 235,958 times
It's going to get busier with the SW Bypass on/off-ramp emptying directly into Fredrick Drive. Planning ahead for growth.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:25 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
It's going to get busier with the SW Bypass on/off-ramp emptying directly into Fredrick Drive. Planning ahead for growth.
I don't mean to be argumentative but, it ain't gonna happen. The ramps for the SW Bypass are 1/4 mile away from Fredrick. Fredrick leads from NC 102 to a mostly built out and sleepy little subdivision. All I can figure is that since the state doesn't do speed bumps, then the roundabout is actually one very expensive speed bump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina