U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2019, 09:10 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,434,497 times

Advertisements

Not development related, but has anyone noticed that when at Greenville BLVD and Evans St, the lights change super quick? Every single time I make a left on Greenville BLVD towards near Trade-It, no one makes it through without it turning red so I, and others, end up running it every single time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 03:39 PM

21 posts, read 24,848 times
Looks like they are building a new sit down inside cookout across from Pitt between the dairy queen and Zaxbys.

Old 05-16-2019, 09:11 AM

4,631 posts, read 3,038,523 times
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...struction.aspx

Quote:
GREENVILLE – As the N.C. Department of Transportation continues with construction on the Southwest Bypass project​, a Pitt County interchange will close for one month starting next week.

Beginning at 7 a.m. on May 20, both lanes of U.S. 264 West will be closed. Crews will replace the approach slabs for the bridge at the Greenville interchange. The project is expected to take one month.

Drivers heading west on U.S. 264 to Stantonsburg Road will instead be detoured to Exit 73A and head towards Mozingo Road, Exit 71. They will exit at that location, turn left at the end of the ramp, cross over U.S. 264 and turn left onto U.S. 264 East toward Stantonsburg Road.

Drivers should anticipate needing extra time for their commute and approach the work zone with caution.

​For real-time travel information, visit DriveNC.gov or follow NCDOT on social media.​

Old 05-16-2019, 09:59 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times
I really have to wonder where the City is with downtown Hotels. Whether or not its a priority. I have to wonder why its not brought up continuously like other communities that dont have them. Here is an excerpt from the Morganton Main St director...

“A downtown hotel has been top on the recruitment list for years, but now the timing is perfect with support businesses, such as restaurants, ladies clothing stores, a general store, ice cream, breweries and an overall active downtown in place ," Sharon Jablonski, Main Street director, said. Solidifying the hotel will provide steady longterm growth for these businesses and others.”

https://www.morganton.com/news/groun...df0c42a6e.html

This will open around October.

Greenville has had a number of hotels open...mainly in the Hospital area. Would be nice to see the City prioritize this downtown to help all of the businesses that have invested downtown. Greenville is falling way behind on that front, especially for a city its size....despite all of the housing construction.

Old 05-16-2019, 06:36 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I really have to wonder where the City is with downtown Hotels. Whether or not its a priority. I have to wonder why its not brought up continuously like other communities that dont have them. Here is an excerpt from the Morganton Main St director...

“A downtown hotel has been top on the recruitment list for years, but now the timing is perfect with support businesses, such as restaurants, ladies clothing stores, a general store, ice cream, breweries and an overall active downtown in place ," Sharon Jablonski, Main Street director, said. Solidifying the hotel will provide steady longterm growth for these businesses and others.”

Greenville has had a number of hotels open...mainly in the Hospital area. Would be nice to see the City prioritize this downtown to help all of the businesses that have invested downtown. Greenville is falling way behind on that front, especially for a city its size....despite all of the housing construction.
Excellent question. Pretty interesting that a small town like Morganton was able to get a hotel on board. There has certainly been a lack of "big" announcements lately. Dare I say since AT left. Dickinson Ave is starting to be filled in, but a hotel is needed. Hotel would have been a better investment at the corner of Dickinson & Reade than 12 townhomes.

Seems like things are in a holding pattern. I know most of us aren't privy to any behind-the-scenes information. But from the outside looking in, there's little to work with. Hopefully something big will be announced soon.

============

https://www.witn.com/content/news/Co...509876481.html

Quote:
Leaders and executives from across the public and private sectors are putting their minds together to help market a city here in the east.

Leaders from across Greenville and Pitt County are joining forces to work with Richmond, Virginia based consulting firm SIR.

The effort aims to develop unified messaging and communications strategies to help market the Greenville area to businesses as well as young college graduates and trained workers needed to fill today's labor force.

SIR represents businesses and municipalities across the country and Monday sought input directly from community leaders about Greenville's attributes.

Opportunities for the general public to offer input will be available in the coming weeks, and the consultants say that input is critical.

Cliff Fleet, Managing Partner at SIR, says "We're really in a war for talent, and we're in a war for jobs, and we're in a war for economic development. There's certain cities that are winning, and certain ones that are not. And the ones that are winning are really sharp about what they want to be and who they are and how they want to tell that message to the outside world."

The effort is a partnership that involves the city government, the chamber of commerce, ECU, Vidant Health, GUC, the tourism authority and the county development commission.

Old 05-17-2019, 07:52 AM

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...ent-ayden.aspx

Quote:
AYDEN – A section of a Pitt County road will be closed for approximately two weeks while the N.C. Department of Transportation replaces a large pipe under the roadway.

N.C. 102 in Ayden will be closed between N.C. 11 South and Pleasant Plain Road. The closure will begin at 7 a.m. May 20 and last through 5 p.m. June 7. During this time, crews will replace a storm drain cross line in front of Walgreen’s. If the contractor finishes the work early, the road will reopen sooner.

Traffic will be detoured onto Pleasant Plain Road and Old Snow Hill Road.

Drivers should anticipate needing extra time for their commute and use caution when approaching the work zone.

This construction is part of the Southwest Bypass, which will be a four-lane, 12.6-mile freeway going between two miles south of Ayden on N.C. 11, wrapping around the west side of Ayden and Winterville and ending at the U.S. 264 Bypass, west of Greenville. The new highway should open in 2020.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:31 AM

Reduced congestion, expanded greenways among transportation goals - Daily Reflector

Old 05-18-2019, 06:34 AM

293 posts, read 270,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post

I spoke with a long time UpTown business/property owner a couple weeks back who told me they were pursuing a boutique hotel for UpTown. So its at least being talked about. I wonder how much (if any) local politics is playing into it.... I imagine some of the other hotels, especially those around the convention center balk at the idea....

Old 05-18-2019, 08:02 AM

1,070 posts, read 984,299 times
IIRC it was the owner of the convention center hotels that was set to build the one downtown.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:03 AM

208 posts, read 325,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvillejb View Post
Looks like they are building a new sit down inside cookout across from Pitt between the dairy queen and Zaxbys.
When is construction scheduled to begin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina