U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2019, 06:17 AM

4,624 posts, read 3,032,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
This should not be approved, nor annexed. We need density and infill development, not hundreds of single-family homes that are so far from city limits.
Rural residents don't want city encroachment - Daily Reflector
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 07:12 AM

293 posts, read 270,529 times
I think there must be more action on the jobs front and I agree with you on the innovative thinking and sustainability aspects. However economic development is circular. Things like infrastructure, partnerships, and workforce development are part of the circle and perhaps this is where we are in the circle... I do feel like the progress has been muted since Thomas left office, I had higher hopes for the current council.

I also do not approve of the disregard for the city plan. Why even have one if you're going to ignore it?

Lastly, what is the deal with the Pitt County Commissioners this year? So far in 2019 they've killed an economic development merger with Greenville, ignored the importance of good teachers and good schools, and voted to severe ECU/UNC system from the Vidant management board....

Old 05-23-2019, 08:39 AM

1,070 posts, read 983,453 times
Until we get a progressive thinking board & council none of the above will happen. We had one but Allen left and the citizens voted in trumpets.

The Pitt County thing is because of how poor ECU is being run the past few years. I can’t say I blame them, although it is trending back toward being on the right path.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:53 AM

3,285 posts, read 5,433,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
I think there must be more action on the jobs front and I agree with you on the innovative thinking and sustainability aspects. However economic development is circular. Things like infrastructure, partnerships, and workforce development are part of the circle and perhaps this is where we are in the circle... I do feel like the progress has been muted since Thomas left office, I had higher hopes for the current council.

I also do not approve of the disregard for the city plan. Why even have one if you're going to ignore it?

Lastly, what is the deal with the Pitt County Commissioners this year? So far in 2019 they've killed an economic development merger with Greenville, ignored the importance of good teachers and good schools, and voted to severe ECU/UNC system from the Vidant management board....
I didn’t mean for my post to seem anti-infrastructure, as I’m for trillions of dollars worth of infrastructure investment across the country, but rather having interstates nearby won’t be as important with the revolution of the logistics and robotics industries over the next decade. Over the last few decades, Pitt County didn’t have proper leadership to push harder on an interstate and I assume that damaged our chances of landing large manufacturing. Well, large manufacturers aren’t exactly the promise they used to be as they increasingly rely on automation. Therefore, the interstates are rendered less-important with drones, with automated trucking (yes, they’ll still use interstates) and robotics replacing jobs.

Greenville, and really the country, are at critical juncture where we could take part in the future and address it head on. Public-Private synergy is needed here and I don’t mean more of the “good ol’ boys club”, but rather the public asking the private: what can we do to encourage you to increase wages and what can we do to help you grow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Until we get a progressive thinking board & council none of the above will happen. We had one but Allen left and the citizens voted in trumpets.

The Pitt County thing is because of how poor ECU is being run the past few years. I can’t say I blame them, although it is trending back toward being on the right path.
Well, 2019 is here which means elections; hopefully some interesting candidates will come out. I may not be living in Greenville then, but I do intend on keeping an eye on how it goes. One thing is for sure: we cannot afford to stay the course nor can we afford to play catch up any longer. It’s time to be bold.

Excellent, and I’m glad someone made the point to mention the potential of damaging streams.

Last edited by BMORE; 05-23-2019 at 09:06 AM..

Old 05-23-2019, 12:11 PM

207 posts, read 325,064 times
Was informed Sheetz is coming on Stantonsburg Rd by Vidant Medical Center where East Carolina Inn currently is.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:22 PM

All Dressbarn stores just got the ax.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/21/dres...he-stores.html

Old 05-23-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
All Dressbarn stores just got the ax.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/21/dres...he-stores.html
Reaffirmation of the future of brick-and-mortar, next up is Sears. As I mentioned a few post back, Greenville needs to be thinking of the future of its third largest industry — retail. While we cannot stop the impending collapse of many stores, today we must be thinking of what can be done to retrain/retool the approximately 10,000 retail workers we have across Pitt County. Frankly, most retail jobs aren’t that good in the first place as they don’t pay well and don’t provide benefits for their workers, so we must have a countywide assessment of our workforce and their skillset, what industry we will bring in and how quickly we can retrain/retool our workforce for those anticipated industries.

Edit: I feel the need to state that of course 10,000 retail jobs won’t disappear over the decade, but rather they’ll be in a downward trajectory over the next few decades. Also, I am not implying training 10,000 people over the decade, but rather assessing the trends of retail job losses and going from there. We may need to train 700 people, we may need to train 3,000, either way, we have to be proactive.

Last edited by BMORE; 05-23-2019 at 03:57 PM..

Old 05-23-2019, 04:28 PM

1,070 posts, read 983,453 times
^ Pitt Community College is doing an excellent job of this.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
^ Pitt Community College is doing an excellent job of this.
Though it goes without saying that PCC is doing an exceptional job, I would imagine every community college is retooling people. I’m speaking of local government action to identify specific industry and a deliberate process of pushing degrees/certificates towards that industry to draw it in. All we know, as I said many moons ago, is that the City of Greenville wants to draw in artisanal manufacturing such as hammock makers, coffee roasters and breweries. That’s not me saying this, that’s the an economic director and the city saying this.

What we also know is that certain members of the county council blew up the economic development partnership with Greenville, in-part, because they wanted a strategy of how to attract more retail. Absurd. PCC is doing an exceptional job, but local leadership wants to stay in the 20th Century if they could.

Last edited by BMORE; 05-23-2019 at 05:47 PM..

Old 05-24-2019, 07:17 AM

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...ent-ayden.aspx

Quote:
A section of a Pitt County road will be closed for approximately two weeks while the N.C. Department of Transportation replaces a large pipe under the roadway.

N.C. 102 in Ayden will be closed between N.C. 11 South and Pleasant Plain Road. The closure will begin at 7 a.m. June 10 and last through 5 p.m. June 23. During this time, crews will replace a storm drain cross line in front of Walgreen’s. If the contractor finishes the work early, the road will reopen sooner.

Traffic will be detoured onto Pleasant Plain Road and Old Snow Hill Road.

Drivers should anticipate needing extra time for their commute and use caution when approaching the work zone.

This construction is part of the Southwest Bypass, which will be a four-lane, 12.6-mile freeway going between two miles south of Ayden on N.C. 11, wrapping around the west side of Ayden and Winterville and ending at the U.S. 264 Bypass, west of Greenville. The new highway should open in 2020.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina