U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-24-2019, 02:12 PM
 
3,285 posts, read 5,434,497 times
Reputation: 1064

Advertisements

Judge orders a ten day restraining order on Vidant and their governance changes.

Judges issues TRO in Vidant suit - Daily Reflector
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2019, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
163 posts, read 115,151 times
Reputation: 59
Hopping in late, but the infrastructure/interstate bat signal went up and I can't avoid a transportation/infrastructure-related conversation. Time to nerd out; apologies in advance.

Interstates will continue to play a critical role; with all the innovation we're seeing, goods nonetheless will remain a massive element of our economy and trucks remain a highly efficient means of transporting most goods. With that said, I think we need to reconsider the purposes for which things like interstates are used. It will remain strong as a means of moving goods; that's why Hyster-Yale (in our own back yard) and Tesla are investing millions in autonomous technology research for trucking. Elon got all hyped on an AV truck recently; I'd encourage you to check that video out if you can.

Automobile ownership is already slowing, and as the urbanization of the American society increases and cities move more towards densification and urban renewal, alternative forms of mobility and ownership models will change. You see this already in two primary market signals: (1) the unbelievable rise of micro mobility (and in particular electric scooters), and (2) Ford Motor Company's decision to stop production of its car lines. As we move towards rental/shared economy models, automotive ownership (and thus, the absolute number of cars on the road) will decline. Inter-city and inter-state travel may continue to rely on cars, but rental models make this difficult. Mass transit remains the most efficient transportation model from a revenue/vehicle unit and any regional travel will move increasingly towards this model (it's why Uber still hemorrhages money and it and Lyft are increasingly pushing Uber XL/Lyft Line as revenue streams).

Interstates are tremendously valuable because they have been the primary means for our citizen mobility in our greatest era of growth. Interstates and automobiles are strongly associated with upward mobility and for good reason: they got us this far. But there are so many new means of regional and interstate travel that their direct importance to the citizen will decline in importance. They will remain valuable to commerce, however, and we do ourselves a disservice in failing to recognize that.

That said, until we prioritize anything other than highways construction at the federal and state level, we'll continue to miss the boat on that. #freetheHTF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2019, 11:10 PM
 
3,285 posts, read 5,434,497 times
Reputation: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
Hopping in late, but the infrastructure/interstate bat signal went up and I can't avoid a transportation/infrastructure-related conversation. Time to nerd out; apologies in advance.

Interstates will continue to play a critical role; with all the innovation we're seeing, goods nonetheless will remain a massive element of our economy and trucks remain a highly efficient means of transporting most goods. With that said, I think we need to reconsider the purposes for which things like interstates are used. It will remain strong as a means of moving goods; that's why Hyster-Yale (in our own back yard) and Tesla are investing millions in autonomous technology research for trucking. Elon got all hyped on an AV truck recently; I'd encourage you to check that video out if you can.

Automobile ownership is already slowing, and as the urbanization of the American society increases and cities move more towards densification and urban renewal, alternative forms of mobility and ownership models will change. You see this already in two primary market signals: (1) the unbelievable rise of micro mobility (and in particular electric scooters), and (2) Ford Motor Company's decision to stop production of its car lines. As we move towards rental/shared economy models, automotive ownership (and thus, the absolute number of cars on the road) will decline. Inter-city and inter-state travel may continue to rely on cars, but rental models make this difficult. Mass transit remains the most efficient transportation model from a revenue/vehicle unit and any regional travel will move increasingly towards this model (it's why Uber still hemorrhages money and it and Lyft are increasingly pushing Uber XL/Lyft Line as revenue streams).

Interstates are tremendously valuable because they have been the primary means for our citizen mobility in our greatest era of growth. Interstates and automobiles are strongly associated with upward mobility and for good reason: they got us this far. But there are so many new means of regional and interstate travel that their direct importance to the citizen will decline in importance. They will remain valuable to commerce, however, and we do ourselves a disservice in failing to recognize that.

That said, until we prioritize anything other than highways construction at the federal and state level, we'll continue to miss the boat on that. #freetheHTF
I can agree with most of this, and again, I don’t want to perpetuate such an idea that interstates will be obsolete — they won’t be. For commercial purposes, they’ll continue to be useful up to an extent but with other modes of delivery (eg, drones, placing fulfillment centers closer to dense cities, and inland ports among other future modes), I hold firm in the belief that building such an apparatus of highways near Greenville won’t be as important (or as I stated a few posts back “the saving grace”) as they once were. I mean this specifically from the position of attracting more industry. Certain companies of course will need to be near such infrastructure, but many others won’t and therefore, from the commerce standpoint, I don’t understand what such a massive expansion near Greenville is designed to do (especially if billions of dollars will be spent to do it, and we only attract a few companies, primarily staffed with machines).

On the other hand, it’s absolutely true that micro-mobility, expanded mass-transit and declining automobile usage will downgrade the importance of interstates in our everyday lives. When I say, as I said a few post back, that Greenville is wanting to prepare itself for the 20th Century as opposed to the 21st, I absolutely mean that. Greenville didn’t have any interstates for the longest, now we’re being graced with 587, having the SW bypass (though not an interstate) open relatively soon, potentially having 11 upgraded to interstate standards and a few other projects nearby. That’s great for the past, but we should’ve been taking advantage of our existing infrastructure for the future. Such highway expansions will only encourage sprawl, which you and I both know is something we (as a country) don’t need more of.

In an era where people want and need to live in a dense environment, we could’ve reimagined long ago how to get people around the city as we didn’t have any interstates. We could’ve said “let’s make an effort to truly make GREAT, great” and found creative ways to pump more money into it, how to incentivize people to utilize it and discourage driving in general. Instead we all applaud interstate expansion, which won’t attract more industry in this era (especially with incoherent local government) and will only help us get to our vacation spots faster all while the city continues its plague of traffic issues that everyone seems to enjoy complaining about. That’s 20th Century thinking and I hope everyone could agree with that.

Last edited by BMORE; 05-24-2019 at 11:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2019, 07:53 AM
 
3,285 posts, read 5,434,497 times
Reputation: 1064
Pirates hosting regional, await seeding

Pirates hosting regional, await seeding - Daily Reflector
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2019, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
163 posts, read 115,151 times
Reputation: 59
Gotcha is the new exclusive micro mobility provider for ECU. Unknown announcement date, but ECU has signed the agreement and it remains in the hands of Gotcha.

Gotcha has a much longer-term, slower-growth, multimodal business model than Lime. They revamped their model from their first pitch to ECU. I'm excited to see what that means for campus and Greenville. I expect they will be a much better community partner than was Lime (which I would not have said two years ago).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
839 posts, read 1,039,416 times
Reputation: 176
Unveiled Couture - Bridal Boutique



https://www.unveiledcouture.com/


I had no idea this existed..how long has this been around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 12:32 PM
 
3,285 posts, read 5,434,497 times
Reputation: 1064
Senate budget proposes change to Vidant reimbursements

Senate budget proposes change to Vidant reimbursements - Daily Reflector

The proposed Senate budget introduced on Tuesday would cut Vidant Medical Center’s Medicaid reimbursement by an estimated $35 million, according to hospital officials.

Great job Pitt County Commissioners; you’ve done it again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 02:46 PM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,078 posts, read 5,041,808 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
now we’re being graced with 587,
Greenville hasn't been graced with anything yet. I-587 does not yet exist and may never come to fruition. The only thing that has happened so far is the Interstate Naming Committee has said that if and when US 264 is upgraded, the state may have it's designation changed to an Interstate. They have 30 years to do the upgrade at which time the state would have to start the process all over again. US 64 will be an Interstate before US 264 is and that hasn't happened yet with no word on when it will happen.

The state has let a paving project for US 264. It should start sometime soon. It's not an upgrade project although they may do some of the upgrade work at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 05:27 PM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
163 posts, read 115,151 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Unveiled Couture - Bridal Boutique



https://www.unveiledcouture.com/


I had no idea this existed..how long has this been around?
For a while. Ashley Nicole Russell is the owner...she also is the founding attorney for her self-styled family law firm. So you can married through here...and divorced later down the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2019, 05:18 AM
 
Location: Danville, VA
4,631 posts, read 3,038,523 times
Reputation: 2918
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Senate budget proposes change to Vidant reimbursements

Senate budget proposes change to Vidant reimbursements - Daily Reflector

The proposed Senate budget introduced on Tuesday would cut Vidant Medical Center’s Medicaid reimbursement by an estimated $35 million, according to hospital officials.

Great job Pitt County Commissioners; you’ve done it again!
https://www.wral.com/senate-budget-w...ight/18418046/

Vidant leaders urge community to support hospital's funding - Daily Reflector
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top