U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2019, 07:57 AM

4,627 posts, read 3,035,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The state has let a paving project for US 264. It should start sometime soon. It's not an upgrade project although they may do some of the upgrade work at the same time.
According to NCDOT’s press release, the project includes shoulder widening, which would bring US-264 up to interstate standards in Pitt and Greene counties.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...-counties.aspx

That would leave the stretch between Sims and Zebulon that will still need shoulder widening, as well as increasing overhead bridge clearances. I’d say that I-587 will be complete long before I-87...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 12:27 PM

3,321 posts, read 5,183,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Vidant leaders urge community to support hospital's funding
Am I missing something? I am the first to call out the NCGA over all the dumb stuff they do. But from what I have seen, Vidant is in the wrong. If ECU/UNC do not have a say in the management direction, then they are a "regular" hospital.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:59 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,433,764 times
BREAKING NEWS: The General Assembly may propose an entirely new teaching hospital in Greenville. Up to $500 million may be spent on the facility.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/po...230990573.html

Excerpts from the article above:

“General Assembly leadership is actively crunching the numbers” about how to build a new teaching hospital for ECU’s Brody School of Medicine, Ryan said in an email. “Thirty-five million dollars per year could finance a considerable construction project.”

”Ryan said that any new teaching school would likely remain in Greenville.”

“This is all preliminary due diligence, but nobody has contemplated any other location,” Ryan said. “The purpose is to serve Brody.”

“In UNC’s legal complaint against Vidant, it said the state has pumped $60 million to $65 million a year over the past five years into the Brody School of Medicine, directly benefiting the hospital.”

“But if the university system loses its ability to appoint members to the Board of Trustees, UNC’s complaint says, the only remedy is for the system to build a separate teaching hospital for the medical school. The cost would be more than $500 million, according to the complaint.”

Uh, is it crazy that I may like this idea better than putting $35 million into Vidant annually?

Old 05-30-2019, 04:31 PM

1,070 posts, read 983,869 times
As someone who despises Vidant because of poor experiences there, Im loving this.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:59 PM

Update: An amendment to remove a portion of the Senate budget that cuts Medicaid funding to Vidant Medical Center failed.

Update: Senate defeats effort to restore Vidant funding in its budget - Daily Reflector

Old 05-30-2019, 06:11 PM

163 posts, read 114,831 times
Having an ECU-specific teaching hospital would be fantastic. It draws more medical professionals to the area, raising median income and improving the quality of health care in the area.

In Gainesville, FL, UF Shands Hospital is world-renowned, but North Florida RMC and Alachua General Hospital are (were) also top-notch facilities. We can sustain multiple hospitals. We should have multiple hospitals.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:54 AM

Senate leaders weigh building new hospital for Brody

Senate leaders weigh building new hospital for Brody - Daily Reflector

Old 05-31-2019, 06:23 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,041,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
According to NCDOTs press release, the project includes shoulder widening, which would bring US-264 up to interstate standards in Pitt and Greene counties.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...-counties.aspx

That would leave the stretch between Sims and Zebulon that will still need shoulder widening, as well as increasing overhead bridge clearances. Id say that I-587 will be complete long before I-87...
Trying to find details on this project is difficult at best. I spent over an hour trying to find out exactly what the repaving job includes to no avail. Maintenance work is harder to find details on than capital expenditures work is.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:11 PM

223 posts, read 204,078 times
So if they the idea is having a school-based hospital (I guess like Wake Baptist for example) where in God's name would they put one at? Maybe Fire Tower?

Old 05-31-2019, 01:23 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
So if they the idea is having a school-based hospital (I guess like Wake Baptist for example) where in God's name would they put one at? Maybe Fire Tower?
Nah...between the old Brody building and adjacent surface parking lots as well as the surface parking lots on ECU's health science campus...you could find the space. Just need to build a parking deck along with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina