U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2019, 08:38 PM

1,070 posts, read 983,453 times

Advertisements

Uptown Greenville =/= City of Greenville

Uptown is a separate entity independent of the CoG that promotes growth in the downtown area. I assume like bikepedguy that Uptown is promoting them because they’re a tenant/member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 01:24 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,357,134 times
Uptown Greenville is paid by the downtown businesses to promote uptown. They may get some money from the City, but thats not who pays most of the bills.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:13 PM

153 posts, read 186,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I wouldn't say there hasn't been *any* real progress. No, there haven't been large scale job announcements, but those are hard to come by for most cities Greenville's size.

However, I believe there is value in the progress that has been made by local/ regional businesses. The infill on Dickinson Ave has been good to see, and is light years beyond what most thought it would be back in 2014/2015. I think the continued local/regional development will be key to sustaining and keeping the development momentum going.

I there is value and a validity, if you will, that the state is spending so much time and moneywith improvements to the roads in and around Greenville. When you see the future that Greenville will ultimately be connected to 3 separate interstates (587, 87, 42), that is a positive. The Highway 11 corridor will eventually become interstate quality between all 3 interstates and may even get it's own designation. That's important for the future of Greenville.

As far as I can tell, the headlines may have fluffed this story up. Last fall, ECU did have a 1.4% decrease from the previous year's enrollment. This equates to about 400 less students. There will always be an ebb & flow to this and one "down" year after several years of record growth is nothing to be afraid of. Also count the 3 UNC system schools that now have $500/semester and you probably had more students go to those 3 schools instead of ECU & others.

I'm way behind on the latest updates in this thread but I agree completely. I have not seen a gap in Greenville growth and expansion in the last few years. Certainly nothing attributable to AT or PJ. And agree that, although it may seem a bit boring - the infrastructure development of our major arteries is 2 decades overdue in my opinion. We didn't plan well for traffic in Greenville. Hopefully these items will help us keep up. We went years without resurfacing roads and are paying the price now.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:43 PM

153 posts, read 186,646 times
This should be good news for ECU/Vidant and all parties involved. The relationship between the two is mature and should be retained at all costs IMO. The idea of building another teaching hospital in Greenville - to compete with Vidant is hogwash. That's part of why organizations are merging and consolidating. Would be very disruptive and confusion. I think we need to continue to find ways to work to build a very strong relationship. Now we just have to sort through some of the crap ECU has done to stop the merger of ECUP and VMG. Which apparently ticked off Vidant and they responded by changing the board makeup - and rightfully so.

Now it's time for cooler heads to prevail and make this system the best it can be. For poster (forget his name) "loving seeing this happen", you glee is over likely hundred of lost jobs and disjointed care at best for our patients. Stop the petty politics and get us moving again. For those who have had bad experiences - it's not perfect, but it's also like EVERY other hospital out there. There are always people who have bad experiences everywhere. Does not serve as criteria for the downfall of an organization that didn't suit your needs. So be very careful about what you're "Happy" to see happen, knowing their are lives, jobs and families depending on us being big boys and girls and settle the differences like adults - not like immature adolescents.

https://www.wnct.com/news/local-news...ine/2083555037

Old 06-18-2019, 08:21 PM

1,070 posts, read 983,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
For poster (forget his name) "loving seeing this happen", you glee is over likely hundred of lost jobs and disjointed care at best for our patients. Stop the petty politics and get us moving again. For those who have had bad experiences - it's not perfect, but it's also like EVERY other hospital out there. There are always people who have bad experiences everywhere. Does not serve as criteria for the downfall of an organization that didn't suit your needs. So be very careful about what you're "Happy" to see happen, knowing their are lives, jobs and families depending on us being big boys and girls and settle the differences like adults - not like immature adolescents.
Hello from the poster you can't remember.

I would love to see Vidant taken over by the state and/or a university-run ECU Medical Center open in Greenville. Screw Vidant and their incompetence. It's already disjointed care at best.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:55 PM

4,624 posts, read 3,032,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
Funny how Moore and Bell compliment Kandie for putting needs above politics, but then they proceed to do the exact opposite by holding the funding hostage unless Kandie agrees to help override a near certain veto.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:18 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,165 times
The city is making another public parking lot near Dickinson Ave. on Clark Street:

https://www.facebook.com/CityofGreen...3439682878413/

Old 06-19-2019, 09:47 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,357,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
The city is making another public parking lot near Dickinson Ave. on Clark Street:

https://www.facebook.com/CityofGreen...3439682878413/
While there needs to be more parking in the Dickinson area...no one should celebrate more surface parking lots downtown. The city needs to build decks for its businesses....just like the apartment complexes build decks for their residents. Not sure why Greenville cant figure this out. They are littered and littered with surface lots all over the place rather than build up in certain spots and sell the other land for development opportunities (like the Dickinson Loft project).

Plus it would encourage more walking on the sidewalks.

BTW, when is the Dickinson Ave streetscape project going out for bid now that the 10th St connector is done (it was supposedly waiting on that to be finished)?

Old 06-19-2019, 11:25 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,002,816 times
I'll give them some credit. Parking is needed. But you are right, those surface lots, especially on Dickinson could be sold for development. Sell enough of them and they could afford to build another parking deck in the area.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:44 AM

3,321 posts, read 5,182,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
While there needs to be more parking in the Dickinson area...no one should celebrate more surface parking lots downtown. The city needs to build decks for its businesses....just like the apartment complexes build decks for their residents. Not sure why Greenville cant figure this out. They are littered and littered with surface lots all over the place rather than build up in certain spots and sell the other land for development opportunities (like the Dickinson Loft project).

Plus it would encourage more walking on the sidewalks.

BTW, when is the Dickinson Ave streetscape project going out for bid now that the 10th St connector is done (it was supposedly waiting on that to be finished)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I'll give them some credit. Parking is needed. But you are right, those surface lots, especially on Dickinson could be sold for development. Sell enough of them and they could afford to build another parking deck in the area.
Y'all are thinking too short term. This parcel was previously a wasted overgrowth of trash. The City can spend a little money and clean it up while encouraging people to park there. Then when the demand increases enough, either sell it to a private company for a new building, or build a parking deck. Just like the old parking lot where University Edge is going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina