Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 02:21 PM

232 posts, read 474,842 times

Advertisements

I literally had it long enough to download an app and then it switched back to 3g. I've had it in raleigh and charlotte though and its unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 11:33 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Why can't they start to plan to make 10th Street near the new Wal-Mart seven lanes (its five lanes now) from Greenville Blvd to its lane reduction near Simpson? Also plan for a bump up of Portertown Road from its terminus to Firetower Road.

Plan now while we have the land. Or is this a crazy idea?

Old 12-18-2011, 11:56 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
The Raleigh Passenger Rail Task Force completed the Proposed Raleigh Station and Track Configurations – DRAFT Feasibility Study on October 17, 2011.

One of the things the Study mentioned were five possible commuter corridors. The corridors include Goldsboro/Selma/Clayton, Hillsborough/Durham/Cary, Sanford/Apex/Cary, Henderson/Wake Forest and Greenville/Wilson/Zebulon.

Would people use the train? Assuming it took no more than 90minutes, Wi-Fi and reasonable cost? What would reasonable cost be? Saying 85 road miles at $3.50/gallon of gas and avg car at 25mpg would put that cost at right around $12.

To give an example, going from Raleigh to Greensboro is approximately the same distance. It cost $12-15 and takes 90mins. That is with stops in Cary, Durham and Burlington. This proposed spur wouldn't have nearly the amount of traffic on it, so it would be more. But even $20 would be worth it. Then have the ability to get to RDU or the Southeast High Speed Rail to Charlotte or DC. Worth it!

Old 12-18-2011, 02:01 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
One of the things the Study mentioned were five possible commuter corridors. The corridors include Goldsboro/Selma/Clayton, Hillsborough/Durham/Cary, Sanford/Apex/Cary, Henderson/Wake Forest and Greenville/Wilson/Zebulon.
I would think that you would need a lot of traffic along an existing corridor to justify commuter rail. The only 2 paths that don't already have an Interstate close by are Greenville and Sanford. Of those 2 Greenville easily has a much larger population and that's even if you don't include Winterville. I don't know why they don't just rename 264 to an Interstate.

Old 12-18-2011, 03:55 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
I agree the road should be widened, I always wanted DOT to widen Greenville BLVD but it doesn't have any room to be expanded. I'm sure Walmart will attract much more businesses to that side of town, which means more traffic.

But I'm not in favor of Greenville getting a commuter line, it cost too much money for the amount of traffic that it would see. They are just looking to spend money. As Richard stated 264 should be converted into a interstate, it wouldn't cost much, Greenville would be looked at by larger companies, and we would have interstate access all the way to Raleigh. Of course if NCDOT had unlimited funds, then I would love for Greenville to have a line. I would be able to get to Raleigh with ease and living in Greenville and working in Raleigh would be possible.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:16 PM

54 posts, read 75,524 times
City of Greenville, NC

Anyone know if any of these projects have begun or are close to starting?

Evans gateway
Merchants alley project
Uptown theatre
West 5th st street scape part II

Or any other news regarding the development of down town greenville

Old 12-22-2011, 03:33 PM

Has anyone noticed the new directory signs in Greenville? Ive noticed them on Memorial BLVD (i think it was by the hibachi) & I just saw one on Dickinson Avenue. They look a tad bit out of place but im glad we have them.

Btw, how do you guys feel about the McMansions we have in Greenville? l

Old 12-22-2011, 04:13 PM

54 posts, read 75,524 times
Bmoreboy I think around downtown they look great and while they do look a little out of place in other areas of town I think they still look good. Any sign for that matter would look out of place for the most part. Hopefully this is a start of bringing some "class" to the city

Old 12-22-2011, 06:30 PM

Yeah they look pretty good, I haven't been downtown lately so I may take a visit to go see them.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:21 PM

The Daily Reflector (http://www.reflector.com/fact_book - broken link)

I thought this was pretty interesting, it just shows general facts about Pitt County. I don't know Winterville had nearly 10,000 residents now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina