U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2012, 07:16 PM

3,287 posts, read 5,439,753 times

Advertisements

By Taco Bell? If your talking about that, that is CVS but I don't think your talking about that.

And Greenville has to take action to recruit business downtown smh if Greenville hasn't noticed downtown isn't really near any areas of great or at least decent income (that's what most businesses require), yeah there's ECU but these businesses rather move where both people of income and ECU students can go, not just ECU. So Greenville has to build according to its downtown master-plan which are attractions, once that happens people of at least decent income will want to go downtown. Right now I don't anyone who will want to go downtown unless it's for work, there's nothing else of significance to offer for the average resident of Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 08:20 PM

286 posts, read 553,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
MM, like the Ale House would've been GREAT downtown....oh well
No... no it wouldn't. Many like dining and being separate from that crowd.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:07 AM

5,417 posts, read 5,405,739 times
I agree with Frisch's statement about where the Ale House is situated. We go there every week & would not if it was down town. I fully agree that down town should be "cleaned up" & more businesses in operation there, however, just from personal experience my husband and I never go down town. When B. Wings was there we go regularly, until one Sun. evening I went out to our car in the parking lot across the street and a man approached me for my money & jewelry, he got neither & followed me back into B. Wings, where the Panthers just won a game, & was met by my husband & other happy fans.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:58 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,190,506 times
Well the plan is to get more of "you people" downtown on a more regular basis. That is one of the reasons for Freeboot Fridays, and the Umbrella Market. East Carolina is still planning on building a Performing Arts Center downtown and complete the Reade St corridor with university buildings. That will help bring "you people" down. But private development will also be needed. Such as the Ale House.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:00 PM

The guy who owns Peddlin' Pirates and iDrive is planning on moving into the 100 block of East Fifth Street, which is beside Armadillo Grill. I believe this is the former Downtown Athletic Club.

I'm not sure how much space he needs or if they're just dispatching from there. But its good to have new business there.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:19 PM

286 posts, read 553,096 times
Quote:
Well the plan is to get more of "you people" downtown on a more regular basis. That is one of the reasons for Freeboot Fridays, and the Umbrella Market. East Carolina is still planning on building a Performing Arts Center downtown and complete the Reade St corridor with university buildings. That will help bring "you people" down. But private development will also be needed. Such as the Ale House.
The city dumps endless amounts of taxpayer dollars into these little pet projects but nothing ever happens. Luckily private business is smarter than that.

Remember when they bricked up Evans Street? Then came back and tore it down, what, 5 years later?

Now they're doing the same thing again up one block, but calling it "The Evans Street Gateway."

Somehow, in Carl Rees' brain, the objective of getting more people downtown can be accomplished by NARROWING roads and making them less conducive to traffic, then funneling buses down the newly narrow roads. "You People" (us) drive cars downtown. We need decent roads and parking, not a 2 lane traffic jam and an expensive bus station.

</soapbox>

Old 01-23-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I agree with "private development will also be needed", but Greenville isn't too good at attracting development. The little that does happen downtown (uptown) isn't really attracting much city residents, so what can the city do to attract developers and residents? First Greenville has to get out of its ways of letting ECU or the hospital do everything. What I mean by that is ECU/Vidant (the name of the hospital tomorrow) make the community prosper while Greenville will only serve them if it could. Greenville needs to say "hey ECU/Vidant we love you but were going to hop of your nuts for a while (sorry for being so blatant) and actually talk with businesses and developers.".

And do you know when the performing arts center will be constructed?

Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 PM

When the PAC? It is aways down on the funding list. At one time there was talk to get private donations, but waiting for state money will be a long time.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:06 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,195 times
Greenville Mall Update:

1) Carolina Gold Buyers left the location next to chick fil a....they
are now in the old Annabelle's restaurant spot....across from body central
2) radio shack moved into that spot next to Chick Fil A
3) Spencer's gifts will move into radio shacks spot
4) us cellular kiosk people will move into Spencer's gifts spot
5) new york and company taking over the large spot that is next to the
old Annabelle's restaurant spot (where Carolina Gold Buyers is
now)....i think phelps chevy had cars in there during holidays
6) new national chain called "Buckle" moving into part of old New york
and co. spot
7) lots of work going on at Mellow Mushroom......that should be done
late spring

Old 01-25-2012, 05:31 PM

Nice update, thanks. Has anyone been to Mellow Murshroom before?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina