U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,165 times

Advertisements

heard that ever since Kohls was being built. It was supposed to be back behind Kohls...but has never materialized. If it does, that new sports place by Harris Teeter on Charles will be out of business fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 01:35 PM

99 posts, read 235,925 times
Anyone know anything about the Peppermints yogurt on 10th street? I haven't seen it opened in a long time and it looks like there are signs posted in the windows.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:39 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,105,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattawest View Post
Anyone know anything about the Peppermints yogurt on 10th street? I haven't seen it opened in a long time and it looks like there are signs posted in the windows.
I guess it's starting already (the closing of the overbuilt yogurt shops).

Old 02-01-2012, 06:06 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,433,764 times
I know they had good yogurt every time I went, but unfortunately I dont live on that side of town so I haven't seen it in a while. And I agree with emelvee, the yogurt businesses in Greenville saw a money making opportunity and jumped on it with little though, now the market is saturated with them. I thought two or three locations would be good, not 10.

Speaking of The Galleria (where Kohls is); are there any plans to fill the space on the sides of the Fresh Market? They have never been filled, I know the rent/lease is expensive but if the developer uses its brain then maybe they'll lower the rent/lease for a specified amount of time to lure in retailers.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:04 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,041,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
IMO, Anderson is trying to leave on a high note and make it look as if he's done anything useful to combat this. He hasn't. He won't let the officers clamp down on the undesirable element of downtown.
In today's Reflector it is reported that Anderson wanted to clamp down and was told by the "powers that be" that he couldn't do that. There was a whole list of recommendations made up on how to deal with the problems but they were scuttled because it was akin to "bar busting" and people of influence wouldn't have that.

If Greenville ever wants to have a first class downtown that visitors and locals alike can enjoy and shop in, Greenville must get rid of this problem first. If the bars must go then so be it.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:34 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,433,764 times
I don't think Greenville wants to solve the problem to be honest with you. Long as the bars are being attended by ECU students, Greenville could give a "true" damn about crime. Of course they have to make it seem like they do though. Greenville and the state of NC are satisfied with keeping Uptown the way it is. I wish ECU wasn't so close to uptown, as a student its great, but as a city resident its a horrible location. ECU campus is very suburban in a sense, its not really built into the downtown fabric/grid yet it plays a huge a influence on uptown.

I would say close down the bars in a way that keeps all the good bars/clubs in but throw the bad ones out. Uptown has too much potential to be wasted on these bars/clubs, they can easily be filled with much better retail. One other thing is I hate how on 10th street, the starbucks is a stand-alone like its in the suburbs or something. I really would have loved it much better on Evans or something. I mean there's a lot I can complain about in Uptown, but I really don't want the potential wasted.

I say get the bars/clubs out that pose a threat to developers wanting to build in uptown, build a hotel (was originally planned), open a few solid restaurants that can attract residents city wide instead of just ECU students, continue opening housing units, attract more jobs (retail and corporate), and build a few parking decks.

In other news, Vidant bond rating has been degraded. http://www.reflector.com/news/vidant...ngraded-897185

Old 02-02-2012, 02:25 PM

839 posts, read 1,039,165 times
yeah - they closed the peppermints on 10th street. i work at ECU & passed it daily. I thought it would be a hit with the students, but it was dead all the time...never say anyone in there. They should just stick with the one on Firetower & let a few of the other ones close down.

I predict the one by Pets Mart will close eventually..they are never busy...the one by Pitt Community...close eventually...never been there but I'll be surprised if they make it. I would have said Loretta's would be closed too but they are by the theatre so it has a shot, depending on how much that rent is costing them.

I agree with the post above about the Fresh Market area...lower the damn rent & get someone in there...got to be better than it just sitting there vacant. Doesn't seem like rocket science to me. If they could get it filled & filled for awhile..then raise the rent a little & if someone moves out, others would be interested in putting their place out there since it was a spot full of businesses & shoppers.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:06 PM

3,321 posts, read 5,182,656 times

The Elm Street baseball park and Drew Steele Center is progressing nicely.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:45 PM

3,321 posts, read 5,182,656 times
Brook Valley CC and Greenville CC are merging. Not sure how much merging will occur, or if it's just the sharing of one management team.

Two Greenville Country Clubs To Merge

Old 02-06-2012, 04:35 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,105,692 times
I'm pretty sure all the clubs have been struggling for a while, I just hope they can continue operating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina