U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 02:42 PM

10 posts, read 23,316 times

Advertisements

Thnx. Three ?s highway/interstate, better transportation and big business that will put us on the map
Also Sidewalks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 04:23 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,436,304 times
Wilmington is a good example too, because it's way closer to the coast than Greenville is but it still has new high-rises going up! So I believe that soil thing is just an excuse for why Greenville doesn't have any large company's...Washington is even going to get two high-rises lol!

Old 06-02-2009, 05:27 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,043,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrandaquan View Post
Thnx. Three ?s highway/interstate
That's one thing that has always confused me about Greenville. 264 is built to interstate standards and why it's not a interstate baffles me. I know the Federal G-vt. picks up a huge portion of the cost of interstates and it simply may be a case of they don't want to pay for it.

BTW, Greenville is the largest city in NC without a interstate and there are smaller cities with interstates

Old 06-03-2009, 03:52 PM

^^^Wilson has two interstates....lol I believe 264 should become a interstate.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:25 AM

66 posts, read 237,588 times
I agree, I too have often wondered why 264 isn't an interstate, and I think that they should make the HWY.11 part that runs north from Greenville to the US 64 interstate quality. It's a decent road design now, but being interstate quality would be better.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:45 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,043,285 times
I read up on what it takes to make a road an interstate. Basically the only thing holding up 264 is a need to be an interstate. It appears to be built correctly with limited access and it goes between 2 major destinations. The only thing missing is traffic volume. Traffic is still pretty light on the road at all times of the day.

I do think that if NCDOT were to request that 264 be upgraded to interstate status that it would be granted by FHWA.

Getting 11 up to interstate standards would be a pretty big job. Right now it's at US standards. You would have to remove all access to the road from private and commercial driveways. That would require buyouts or access/service roads up both sides of 11. You cannot have traffic light or stop sign controlled intersections. That would require ramps or overpasses at all crossings or intersections. The number of access ramps is also pretty tightly regulated too. Like I said, it would be a big job and expensive.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:36 PM

I-795 wasn't always a interstate from Goldsboro to Wilson, and it has very light traffic in my opinion! I agree that it would be a difficult job turning highway 11 into a interstate. You might as well and do what Boston has done which is the big dig ($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ was the cost), but Greenville is going to have to do something about it's traffic problem soon because as we approach the future it's only going to get worst (traffic wise), and building highway's are going to get higher and higher! If Greenville was to turn highway 11 into a interstate or U.S. standard highway I'm guessing the cost would be over $2 billion!

Old 06-06-2009, 06:47 PM

Spirit AeroSystems - Aerostructures - Kinston, N.C., facility
Go Kinston,still...lol (I have nothing to announce in Pitt County so I'm doing the area, lol)

Old 06-06-2009, 09:27 PM

66 posts, read 237,588 times
They might as well give up on Kinston. That place is hopeless. When the GTP failed, that was the beginning of the end of Kinston. I would be willing to bet my next paychech too that in the next 5 years the Kinston Indians become the Greenville Indians!!

Old 06-06-2009, 10:35 PM

505 posts, read 2,314,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecufootball View Post
They might as well give up on Kinston. That place is hopeless. When the GTP failed, that was the beginning of the end of Kinston. I would be willing to bet my next paychech too that in the next 5 years the Kinston Indians become the Greenville Indians!!
The GTP has not failed! I can't understand why people keep saying that. Spirit Aerosystems is proof of this. Also, it took many years for RTP in Raleigh to take off.

GTP will SAVE Kinston. Mark my words!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina