U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 04:04 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,046,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
hearing rumors of a Costco going where Home Depot use to be...anyone have any info on this? This is the first I've hear of it, but it would be great if true. Another option besides Sam's.
That rumor has been going around for a long time. Unfortunately, it's just a rumor. Here's the latest openings:

Costco Locations | Addicted To Costco!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 06:49 AM

209 posts, read 325,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Greenville is starting to get the the point that this bigger market businesses are starting to look at us. Hopefully the ball will start to roll with other good places

Also, it looks like the second Wal-Mart on 10th Street is a go.

Awesome. I am looking forward to watch the development of this project.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:54 PM

3,288 posts, read 5,439,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
That rumor has been going around for a long time. Unfortunately, it's just a rumor. Here's the latest openings:

Costco Locations | Addicted To Costco!
Hmm. I was surprised at a few markets their opening in:

Ukiah, CA
Coralville, IA
West Fargo, ND (its part of the Fargo metro, which is the main city of North Dakota so I can understand that)

They are all smaller metros than Greenville; so I'm guessing Greenville may be able to support one but it's just unlikely in my eyes.

Old 02-25-2012, 10:13 PM

68 posts, read 101,664 times
Default New

when are we getting the bonefish grill mc and shmucks and dicks sporting goods and where will they be located

Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
They are all smaller metros than Greenville; so I'm guessing Greenville may be able to support one but it's just unlikely in my eyes.
Most of those cities have a smaller metro than Greenville. There is one segment of the demographic that is higher, much higher, in Greenville than any of the cities on that list. I just checked out the racial makeup of the county that every one of those cities is in and without fail, blacks makeup 16% or less of the population. Bethesda, MD is located in Montgomery County and it had the highest percentage at 15.9%. It likely got a pass because it is the richest county in the nation.

Now I'm not saying that the racial makeup is one of the criteria for store selection but it does seem funny that ALL of those locations have a low black population.

And if it is a consideration then Greenville will not get a Costco until that policy is changed. BTW, it is legal to do this.

Variety Wholesalers, which operates Roses, Maxway, Super 10, Super Dollar and other has a requirement that the demographic within a specific area must contain a high percentage of poor blacks.

•Minimum population of 2,500 within 1 mile of the site.
•Minimum 25% African-American population within 5 miles.
•Median household income of $40,000 or less.

Variety Wholesalers - Real Estate

Old 02-26-2012, 06:19 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,641,309 times
You're forgetting the one big commonality all those places have- low commercial real estate prices. Buying up locations in distressed areas is part of their expansion plan. Same with Aldi.

Costco to snap up property while prices are low: CEO | Reuters
Regional Mall Owners Experiment With Supermarkets

Old 02-26-2012, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
You're forgetting the one big commonality all those places have- low commercial real estate prices. Buying up locations in distressed areas is part of their expansion plan. Same with Aldi.
Real Estate is certainly not cheap in either Chicago or Bethesda. I'm also sure they don't give it away in Huntington Beach either.

And if that was a true consideration, then Greenville would be prime. They are buying property when it's an opportunity in an area that they would like to be in.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:04 AM

Although it is difficult to find out what the site criteria for Costco is (company secret) you can get a view of what they're looking for. I found a slide presentation of the Costco company. Included in the slides is the synopsis of what Costco looks for in a average customer:

1: Costco targets independent small business owners who typically have $100,000 or more in personal income
2: The typical Costco customer is a female with a large householders (sic) with income of $50,000 or more
3: Costco is popular with Hispanic and Asian ethnic groups (my quicky check of the new store openings support this, in every case these groups easily outnumber the black group)

Presentation Costco

These are things that Greenville does not have in abundance.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 AM

68 posts, read 101,664 times
I Heard we are getting a Carabba's, Bonefish, McCormicks and adicks sporting goods when are they coming

Old 02-26-2012, 12:38 PM

99 posts, read 236,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Hmm. I was surprised at a few markets their opening in:

Ukiah, CA
Coralville, IA
West Fargo, ND (its part of the Fargo metro, which is the main city of North Dakota so I can understand that)

I've been to Coralville, IA before. It's a small town directly beside Iowa City. I guess the population is about 100,000 between the two towns.

The area is mostly middle-class younger families or college students and has very few people in the lower class. In fact, that county is one of the more wealthy counties in Iowa. Also, there is no Sam's Club or BJ's in that area, so that might have influenced their decision.

I bet Costco has a certain formula for choosing new locations. I'd bet that Greenville is just a little bit too small of a city and that there are too many people in the lower class to meet their formula. However, now that Raleigh is getting to full, people are starting to move east. I'd say within 5 years, Greenville might meet the Costco formula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina