U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 02:13 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,639,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Real Estate is certainly not cheap in either Chicago or Bethesda. I'm also sure they don't give it away in Huntington Beach either.

And if that was a true consideration, then Greenville would be prime. They are buying property when it's an opportunity in an area that they would like to be in.
I was more referring to that list of towns BMOREBOY posted plus that Reuters article where Costco CEO himself said that was what they were doing. Feel free to disagree with him, and no offense, but I have a hunch he's more up on their real estate purchasing plans than you are. But it's a moot point anyway since it would seem there's no Costco coming to Greenville anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 03:08 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,187,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Most of those cities have a smaller metro than Greenville. There is one segment of the demographic that is higher, much higher, in Greenville than any of the cities on that list. I just checked out the racial makeup of the county that every one of those cities is in and without fail, blacks makeup 16% or less of the population. Bethesda, MD is located in Montgomery County and it had the highest percentage at 15.9%. It likely got a pass because it is the richest county in the nation.

Now I'm not saying that the racial makeup is one of the criteria for store selection but it does seem funny that ALL of those locations have a low black population.

And if it is a consideration then Greenville will not get a Costco until that policy is changed. BTW, it is legal to do this.

Variety Wholesalers, which operates Roses, Maxway, Super 10, Super Dollar and other has a requirement that the demographic within a specific area must contain a high percentage of poor blacks.

•Minimum population of 2,500 within 1 mile of the site.
•Minimum 25% African-American population within 5 miles.
•Median household income of $40,000 or less.

Variety Wholesalers - Real Estate
Another thing Greenville has a disproportional population of is students. What, around 1/4 to 1/5 of the population is students, who are on the low end of the salary scale. But that would support a better mall, which is VERY critical.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:22 PM

451 posts, read 1,688,690 times
Stores also look at traffic counts on nearby roads. Memorial Drive has the most traffic in Greenville if you look at the NCDOT traffic study. That Home Depot building would be a prime spot if you are using traffic as a reference point.

I could see a bulk retailer being interested in that site. However, I think it would be a good place to be subdivided into some smaller stores or even an Ace Hardware.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:49 PM

68 posts, read 101,628 times
SO whats up in Greenville

Old 02-26-2012, 05:21 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,437,139 times
In all honesty I wish Home Depot would just move back in; I don't know what "good" retailer would want the current building although it's on prime property. I don't want to see a Kmart or Big Lots type of retailer there. But I can say that if someone developer decides to open a place for all ages to go inside that building, it would pure genius. Indoor putt-putt, laser tag, etc. They wouldn't have to rent the whole building either, a retailer could take some space.

Btw thank you all for contributing to this thread and making it among the most viewed and posted threads in the North Carolina forum.

So once again thank you.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:58 PM

50 posts, read 59,431 times
when is the quarry supposed to open? im really curious about this and I think it could be addition to downtown greenville if it is indeed and upscale restaurant/bar

Old 02-26-2012, 11:13 PM

105 posts, read 145,658 times
It may be wishful thinking about a Costco coming to Greenville, but I don't think it's impossible that they might consider locating here. Greenville grew 39.8% during the last decade & that's a pretty healthy growth rate. Only Fayetteville, Raleigh 46.3%, Cary 43.1%, & Wilmington 40.4% grew at faster rates. There are about 820,000 people living within 45 miles of Greenville. Wilmington (about 26% larger,106,000) has about 502,000 within 45 miles and they have a Costco. Look at the map & you'll see that Wilmington is surrounded by a large sparsely populated area. Even giving them Jacksonville & most of onslow county which is outside the 45 mile range & they have approx. 630,000 people. This area of NC is more populated than most people realize & people will drive a good distance to get to Costco or Sam's. Also, buying an existing building, probably for a steal & remodeling, they could be in operation very quickly. And they ARE buying up vacated stores for expansion (even mall department stores). Sounds like a deal to me! If not now, maybe in about 10 years.

Last edited by Cityadvocate; 02-26-2012 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 02-27-2012, 12:03 AM

3,286 posts, read 5,437,139 times
Yeah I don't rule it out completely yet either but it's not coming anytime soon. Wilmington got one because of its amenities that bring wealth to the area (a movie industry, beaches, etc) plus the county may be more populated than our entire metropolitan (the county is much more dense than Pitt) so they got one pretty easy.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:39 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,044,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
But that would support a better mall, which is VERY critical.
Greenville won't get a bigger mall anytime soon. With the exception of one mall that's been under construction in NJ for 8 years, there are no malls under contruction anywhere in the United States. The trend in retail construction has favored outdoor malls. The big box retailers prefer to be by themselves with a few non competing small retailers nearby.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:30 AM

5,417 posts, read 5,403,782 times
We travel to Raleigh every 6 wks. to go shopping at BJ's, Whole Foods, Asian Market & then and this is a must go to Brixx for Pizza. The flavor of their Pizza is great. The last time we were ther in January the Manager of the Brixx Pizza told us that they are looking to come to Greenville, but like everything else, it may be just another rumor. Opening a BJ's would really make Sam's take a step up IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina