U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 08:44 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,645,312 times

Advertisements

If Burlington can support a Brixx (mediocre imho) surely Greenville can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 09:40 AM

840 posts, read 1,042,020 times
what's the different in Whole Foods & the Fresh Market we have here?

Also - I've eaten @ Brixx as well. Thought they were very good & would like to have one here as well. They'd do well getting that old Fudrucker's place on Firetower that is now a buffet...that buffet is not going to last, already has new owners & I've heard nothing good about it, even the name is stupid.

Also - this was previously posted, but here is the layout for the new Wal-Mart, unless something has changed since it was originally posted...

Old 02-27-2012, 10:32 AM

3,289 posts, read 5,447,490 times
I like Wholes Food much better, Wholes Food isn't filled with people who "think" they are all better than others while when I shop at the Fresh Market is seems that way. Wholes Food has a friendlier staff and a bigger selection of food compared to the Fresh Market. The Fresh Market seems to serve more speciality foods, while Whole Food has a better organic section to me. I'm basing this off the Whole Foods market in Silver Spring, MD, & the Fresh Market in Greenville.

I haven't even ate at that buffet (Tastyville, is the name right?), it just doesn't seem appealing to me (that whole part of Firetower isn't really appealing to me though, although I love the homes nearby). I would love for TGI to open there, I'm sure we can support one. Also Carmike or whatever it's called would be genius to renovate that old theatre. Its in a much wealthier side of the city than the Greenville Grande. Last time I went to the old theatre it smelled like cheese and excuse my langue but it smelled like s*** as well.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:39 AM

286 posts, read 553,717 times
I wish Fudd's had never closed. I eat at the one in Greensboro from time to time and it's just so good.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:00 PM

77 posts, read 130,853 times
Yeah, but that Fuddrucker's was never busy, ever. Even on Fri-Sun. We'd go there on a Tuesday night and literally be the ONLY people there. We still lament the loss. OTOH, TGI Fridays can stay away; they haven't put out a good product the last several times I've been there (most recently in 2009 in Waterbury, CT).

Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 AM

840 posts, read 1,042,020 times
anyone know what ever happened with the Greenville Intermodal Transportation Center? It seemed to come to a screeching halt when they started to consider different locations.

I didn't see an issue with the original spot..just build the darn thing.

side note - it's kind of sad to look back at the beginning of this thread & see so much that was planned & then you look at today & how much of it actually made it thanks to the economic downtown. Durrgh.

Last edited by jpirate; 02-28-2012 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: l

Old 02-28-2012, 01:36 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,197,748 times
Last I heard, a piece of land opened up at Dickinson and Reade, I believe. Plus I think ECU and a few other stakeholders objected to the original placement. I am not sure if ECU wants to buy that land or what.

But, I think it is a mistake to move. Its original location would be on a high traffic area, that needs revitalizing, Cotanche & Evans. Plus ECU is building the Education & Business building on the land right south of there, with a parking deck.

There is no way you can use the new location (assuming it is true) for ECU buses. No student is going to walk that far to get on a bus.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:07 PM

286 posts, read 553,717 times
Good. The students don't want the bus systems merged anyway.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:49 AM

But it would be good to have that right beside campus. It also would act as an area for all of the taxi's and what not to congregate. This would be good for the people leaving downtown.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:50 AM

Verizon turned on its 4G service overnight.

And here is another post about it here.

Quote:
Ok, update. Heard a few things for us Greenville folks... here's what I learned!

First, the "go ahead" will be given by the end of February for 4G to be flipped on in Greenville. There are towers by ECU campus and the hospital all ready to go, and they are all set to flip the switch - antennas are installed and have been tested. The guys are getting 43 mbps download speeds right on ECU campus, but they realize the speeds will decrease as more people jump onto the network. That's good news, though! Also, they seem to be testing the towers early in the morning, between 2 and 6 am.

Potentially bad news is that there have been some issue with the towers by Pitt County Memorial Hospital (PCMH) with the fiber optics lines going to the towers. They suspect maybe some water leaked into the lines or something like that, but they're not sure and need to look into it. It's giving them some 3G/4G issues in that area.

Further, the 4G coverage in Greenville will be pretty wide-reaching, actually. It'll blanket basically the entire town, and down past Winterville all the way to the edges of Ayden (that's pretty nice). Washington, NC will also have 4G around the same time, it'll be included in what they call the "expansion" part of the network. Winterville will also be part of the "expansion." The expansion just means "extended coverage areas" which will get 4G but the signal will be weaker. Right now, they're saying 10-15 mbps in these expansion zones, and 20-40 in the main zones (Greenville). The one bad thing to note about Winterville is that it'll be almost right in the middle of a few towers' 4G signals, so some people will get poor building penetration the network guys said. However, walking outside you should get really fast speeds again, it's just that indoor coverage may be a bit poor for some people.

Finally, the network team knows about the problems on ECU's campus and in other parts of town where 3G service is poor. This is attributed to too few towers, too little backhaul (fiber optics) running to existing towers, and too many people/devices connecting to the 3G towers. This will be remedied some when 4G is lit up in less than 2 weeks, but the problem will probably still be there by and large. They have already laid the steel for additional towers (yes, we'll be getting additional towers in Greenville!!!) and they'll be built up within the next year, so we'll have better 3G coverage relatively soon. Add in the fact that many people will jump over to the 4G network when it turns on and 3G service should mildly improve soon and majorly improve in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina