U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-21-2012, 09:48 PM

45 posts, read 35,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
I too thought that until I watched it. It's pretty extreme.

Read this week's Pirate Rants - even current students are embarrassed.
I agree that it doesn't shine the brightest light on ECU but then again neither do the pirate rants themselves. I felt the same way when the East Carolinian posted those nude photos of the streaker, I just couldn't figure out the outrage over nudity in a college paper. Nudity/sex are part of the college culture. Of course there's a time/place but I'd think MTV would be qualified as such a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 07:57 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,981,210 times
Any photo updates on the new Children's Hospital or at least how tall it is now?

Old 04-23-2012, 08:07 AM

77 posts, read 75,606 times
I'll try to get some photos of the children's hospital in the next day or two, unless someone else beats me to it.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:37 AM

225 posts, read 300,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herringj06 View Post
I agree that it doesn't shine the brightest light on ECU but then again neither do the pirate rants themselves. I felt the same way when the East Carolinian posted those nude photos of the streaker, I just couldn't figure out the outrage over nudity in a college paper. Nudity/sex are part of the college culture. Of course there's a time/place but I'd think MTV would be qualified as such a place.
Having worked at the university for the past six years, I can honestly say the "real" typical ECU student is hard working, not promiscuous, regularly involved in community service, active in the campus community, makes healthy lifestyle choices, and wants to move their lives forward. The school has very highly rated courses of study in nursing, construction management, education, geology, business...to name a few. And, I was surprised to see just how many of the students are involved in campus ministries.

So, this show was not even close to being indicative of the true ECU student. It is so very frustrating that these student s degrees are lowered in value by a very small portion of the student body that just happens to make the most noise about their less than wise choices...

Old 04-23-2012, 10:57 AM

45 posts, read 35,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
Having worked at the university for the past six years, I can honestly say the "real" typical ECU student is hard working, not promiscuous, regularly involved in community service, active in the campus community, makes healthy lifestyle choices, and wants to move their lives forward. The school has very highly rated courses of study in nursing, construction management, education, geology, business...to name a few. And, I was surprised to see just how many of the students are involved in campus ministries.

So, this show was not even close to being indicative of the true ECU student. It is so very frustrating that these student s degrees are lowered in value by a very small portion of the student body that just happens to make the most noise about their less than wise choices...
I'm simply saying that I don't understand the outrage over things like this MTV show or the streaker. The subject matter is relevant to college age adults. You're always going to have a few that think putting their sexual practices on display is cool. MTV probably had to search thru many students before they found these 3 and of course editing always plays a role. I don't think people watch the show and then leave with the feeling of "ECU is a bunch of (fill in the blank)." Instead I think they see ECU staying relevant in pop culture and that promotes a healthier image, even if the specifics are less than ideal.

I don't stand in support of this show but at the same time the fact that it aired won't keep me from sending my children to ECU.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:04 PM

378 posts, read 302,093 times
i have to say...the MTV piece was entertaining...with that said...if it was my daughter up there talking about that stuff..I'd be rather upset & embarrassed...but since it's not, I found it entertaining. I don't know that it painted the University in a good light...but the scenes around campus & places they interviewed people did make the University & Greenville look nice.

I'm sure we'll see an increase in Male applications now

Old 04-23-2012, 04:59 PM

1,749 posts, read 2,759,028 times
I posted a link to that MTV video in a place where all of the local TV stations will see it. I can't believe that was done here. ECU fights a bad reputation as a party school to begin with and that video isn't helping anything.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:45 PM

2,437 posts, read 2,453,091 times
It's funny not being on here for a few days, yet seeing my ideas appear . I too saw the Mercer posting and thought the railroad/Dickinson/Pitt/Bonners area would be a great place to put it.

Another area I thought would be good would be: Dickinson/Ficklen/9th/Washington or Evans/10th. Now imagine coming over the railroad bridge and see ECU's Warehouse District on the right, and a Minor League park on the left. How bout that for an entrance.

Plus you can convert the old Ficklen Warehouse to lofts, businesses etc. Try to use the American Tobacco District in Durham as a guide. The park here would connect ECU's properties to the uptown. Then we can clear out the north side of Dickinson for other redevelopment.

Also, ECU is/was planning a hotel along with the Preforming Arts Center, along 1st St. So there is talk of that as well.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:16 PM

2,437 posts, read 2,453,091 times
Heard from a good source that PF Changs is indeed coming to the same area as Bonefish, Dicks etc.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:39 PM

660 posts, read 902,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Heard from a good source that PF Changs is indeed coming to the same area as Bonefish, Dicks etc.
Sounds like the Cheesecake Factory story. While not the same, the chain is not franchised and only has 200 stores. The demographics for one of their stores is shown below:

2011------ 1-Mile 3-Mile 5-Mile

Population: 9,335 50,099 120,511

Income: $79,002 $86,766 $75,553

I'm sure there are some lower and some higher, but it those income numbers take a huge drop if they have to match Greenville's demographics. Density wouldn't be quite the issue.

Last edited by sregorat3; 04-23-2012 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: formatting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina