U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,416 times

Advertisements

went to the new Hu-Hot Mongolian Grill @ lunch today. Food was good & service was good considering it's only day 2 of training. Will definitely go back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 10:43 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,040,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Why would you think the folks in Kinston would come to Greenville when the supposed baseball crazy folks in Greenville wouldn't go to Kinston? The region had a team and wouldn't support it. If you think the owners of teams that are looking for new homes didn't notice the lack of support for the team that was in this area you're mistaken.

Believe it or not, the fact that The Home Depot pulled out of this area put a hurting on Greenville's chances for a whole lot of development. The fact that the Greenville area, with over 100,000 people within 5 miles of the city center, couldn't/wouldn't support 2 home center/lumber yards of The Home Depot scale tells developer a lot about the area. And that new Lowes over on the east side of town, isn't exactly setting any sales records either.

And the "build it and they will come" theory is far from true. The whole of eastern North Carolina is peppered with "Global Transparks" that sit empty.

Even if Greenville were to land a semi pro baseball team, where would the attendees come from? There aren't but so many baseball fans in a town and most of them attend Pirates games now. Does everybody here that would like to see a baseball team, support the Pirates? If a new team comes to town, are you going to support both teams?

Keep dreaming folks.
The Indians were in Kinston and the Transpark is there too. Who wants to go to Kinston just for a game? And the Transpark was established for industry, not the general public. America is turning away from industry and moving into the service industry. The hospital is currently adding a children's unit and a veteran's super clinic in addition to the heart institute, and the medical and dental schools. The hospital is booming with growth as did ECU ten years ago. Those new additions to the hospital bring in more doctors, nurses, et al. While some of those jobs most likely will be filled by transplanted new residents, they will still be here with jobs that pay very well. Combine these folks with others with decently paid folks at DSM, ECU, and a few other places, and you have a whole lot of adults and families with disposable income with not a lot of options to spend it. We're not not talking about a dream. We're talking about ideas, some of which could work with careful planning. Nobody expects there a team here in two or three years, and certainly not a semi-pro team. No one would support that. They would support a stadium with the right things going on around it, giving them good a good entertainment experience in and out of the ballpark.

One of the biggest obstacles I foresee is the mindset of a lot of locals who think we haven't tried anything new and we shouldn't ever. Since you have nixed a ballpark downtown idea to spark a revitalization, do you have any ideas of your own for the west end, or just downtown, or Greenville itself?

Old 04-25-2012, 11:17 AM

872 posts, read 1,717,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Funny you should mention that considering Burroughs Wellcome/DSM's presence in Greenville.
There are pharma facilities in almost every city in Virginia and NC. There are few areas the have medical equipment manufacturing. Having a core competency in that industry would often lead to new business in machining and plastics extrusion. Pharma jobs only support service jobs; they might pay well, but a city develops a solid reputation based on unique industries that the region caters to. High tech manufacturing has a bit more to offer the local economy than just good jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
The Indians were in Kinston and the Transpark is there too. Who wants to go to Kinston just for a game?
Quote:
A stadium in an upstart area of Greenville should pull in people regionally, not just Greenville/Pitt (Eventually the folks in Kinston will get over their demise in baseball and come, too.).

...yet you suggest that folks from the greater region, even Kinston, might think differently if there was a team in Greenville? Is it possible that people aren't too interested in traveling to Greenville to see a game? That is where revitalization could play a role, and would most likely be needed before talk of a huge investment in a stadium. Baby steps...

Old 04-25-2012, 12:12 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,040,411 times
I know plenty of people who are coming to Greenville from the surrounding towns and counties for bars/clubs/restaurants/stores. It's the hub of this area. Kinston is not a place anyone wants to visit for anything.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:16 PM

451 posts, read 1,688,042 times
Phil A. Delphia is right - people from surrounding areas are more likely to head to Greenville than vice-versa due to there being much more dining and entertainment options.

Whenever I went to a Kinston Indians game, I went to the game only. I did not stay for the nightlife afterwards, etc.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:01 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,434,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Football has much deeper roots in Eastern NC, starting at the high school level. Almost everyone who grew up here knows at least one person from their school who played for ECU. Basketball is a close second. Promotion also has a lot to do with it.

State's a larger school in a larger metro area with more alumni living nearby. All their sports programs will have a higher draw.
Very true regarding the football roots in East Carolina.

Regarding the part where you said "State's a larger school in a larger metro area with more alumni living nearby. All their sports programs will have a higher draw." that is also true but you said something that is proving that Gteenville has to diversify its economy: more alumni living nearby. People who attend State actually like the city it's in and it has excellent job opportunities for the programs that are at the school. ECU has pretty much the same programs State has but the city doesn't have many of the job opportunities for those programs which makes the alumni move away and Greenville in reality isn't too attractive to make their alumni stay. (I'm not saying they don't stay bc there is a lot of ECU alumni here).

I don't know how long I've stressed to everyone that Greenville has to diversify in order to progress. Yes; having a school and a college will keep Greenville afloat and almost prosperous because those two will always be needed but like another poster said we need more 1,000 job industries, we need more Banking (Wilson even has a larger banking industry than Greenville does), we need more everything. ECU has a aerospace program or something similar, correct? If so then ECU should begin a partnership with the Global Transpark or whatever it's called in Kinston, that could benefit both cities dramatically.

I mean I don't know about you guys but I'd rather have a announcement of a 1,000 job company coming to the area instead of a Dicks Sporting Goods . 1,000 jobs means more absorption of homes for sale in our area, 1,000 jobs would bring another 500 jobs from suppliers, 1,000 jobs would bring more families here, 1,000 more jobs would help the tax base plenty, and etc.

I say another industrial park should be built by the new part of 264, when the new part of 264 is built and we should attempt to work more closely with surrounding cities. Greenville can't do it on its own no matter how much we want to be a regional hub, we must work with our neighbors.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:18 PM

77 posts, read 130,644 times
Some pix of the newly opened separate pediatric emergency department at Vidant Med Center (from my crummy phone camera):

The individual rooms have mood lighting to try to keep the children calm or something. I didn't count, but looked like there were about 20 rooms all very similar to this.

Some nurses' stations.

One of two adjacent trauma rooms.

A tastefully decorated bathroom. Everything looked so nice and new. If I remember, I'll drive around the front of the building tonite and get the new construction also.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:24 PM

872 posts, read 1,717,261 times
Quote:
I know plenty of people who are coming to Greenville from the surrounding towns and counties for bars/clubs/restaurants/stores. It's the hub of this area. Kinston is not a place anyone wants to visit for anything.
From what I read on here and what I've seen, downtown Greenville is not a place that folks from 30 miles out want to drive to. Make Greenville a place that people actually want to visit, and then dump money into a ballpark. I don't think a minor league ballpark will make people want to come to town. What makes people want to visit Greenville other than ECU and a big hospital? Do people just come from around the area to eat at Ruby's, Applebees, etc., and then catch a movie? There is a lot more to a vibrant city than chain restaurants and a sports team. Not being facetious or critical- just inquisitive.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:36 PM

3,672 posts, read 6,063,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
From what I read on here and what I've seen, downtown Greenville is not a place that folks from 30 miles out want to drive to. Make Greenville a place that people actually want to visit, and then dump money into a ballpark. I don't think a minor league ballpark will make people want to come to town. What makes people want to visit Greenville other than ECU and a big hospital? Do people just come from around the area to eat at Ruby's, Applebees, etc., and then catch a movie? There is a lot more to a vibrant city than chain restaurants and a sports team. Not being facetious or critical- just inquisitive.
a lot of the areas surrounding greenville are very rural, so even though greenville doesn't have much to offer (imo) it makes sense that people would go there. i suspect that might be the source of some of the traffic issues, as well.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:47 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,434,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
a lot of the areas surrounding greenville are very rural, so even though greenville doesn't have much to offer (imo) it makes sense that people would go there. i suspect that might be the source of some of the traffic issues, as well.
Yeah it is the hub of our surrounding rural areas but the city isn't a hub for itself if that makes any sense. Residents go to the true hub, Raleigh, for our leisure. If Raleigh were considered Eastern Carolina then it would def. be our hub instead of Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina