U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 01:54 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,040,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by problem. Earlier you posted your disapproval of police blocking off parts of downtown late at night for kids at the bars as an impediment to other business that could be taking place. But what other businesses exactly do you have in mind that would be open downtown late at night?
Well, lets see. Ask the families of Landon Blackley and Andrew Kirby if there is a problem with late night in downtown Greenville.

Perhaps there shouldn't be anything open late at night. When you have problems as big as Greenville's are, you need to take big steps to fix them.

Those two murders convinced a whole lot of people that they shouldn't go downtown at all, regardless of time of day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 02:52 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,637,594 times
That has nothing to do with my question, but okay.

I'm not defending the bars downtown but there aren't any solutions which are either practical or don't create other problems. The crime issue has more to do with persistent poverty, which isn't unique to Greenville.

ETA: I know two people I went to high school with who are serving sentences for murder and attempted murder in bar fights on the Outer Banks. Nobody's clamoring to have all those bars shut down. And those crimes are actually directly related to the existence of bars.

Last edited by box_of_zip_disks; 04-26-2012 at 03:06 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 06:12 PM

228 posts, read 521,297 times
The difference between Franklin Street and 5th Street in Greenville is Greenville has West Greenville and Franklin Street has...Cary... the criminal element that comes out of West Greenville is the hugest detractor to Greenville making significant progress. If the people in power REALLY want to take Greenville to the next level...then, they need to eradicate the criminal element from West Greenville and significantly upgrade the infrastructure, sidewalks, businesses, services, etc. for the good people of West Greenville who are struggling in this economy.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 PM

3,321 posts, read 5,182,656 times
Oh Jesus, can we get a mod or someone to carve out the last couple of pages and put it in another thread? This has gone way off topic.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:58 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,039,592 times
A Greenville city councilman brought up researching the possibility of bringing minor league baseball to town. It was rightfully posted in this thread, and, subsequently, ideas about that possibility are being discussed here. I don't see how this discussion should be removed and separated when a good portion of this thread is mainly rumors and the ensuing discussion thereof.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
The difference between Franklin Street and 5th Street in Greenville is Greenville has West Greenville and Franklin Street has...Cary...
You might want to look at a map, hoss. Cary's nowhere near Chapel Hill. Now, if you're referring to Carrboro, up until very recently it was just as run-down as Greenville. But the overflow of money from Carolina has changed that a bit. Same thing in Raleigh with Hillsborough St., which was really crappy in parts past Dan Allen.

Quote:
If the people in power REALLY want to take Greenville to the next level...then, they need to eradicate the criminal element from West Greenville and significantly upgrade the infrastructure, sidewalks, businesses, services, etc. for the good people of West Greenville who are struggling in this economy.
Like jpirate mentioned with the planned railyard move and the overpass to connect 10th st and Farmville Blvd; that's sort of what's happening. But those things don't happen overnight and they take money, of which there's a limited amount. It would seem given the past several years Greenville is still more interested in outward expansion, but they are doing something about downtown.

There's only so much that can be done at a municipal level to entice business to a certain section of town- mainly tax incentives. But if the market isn't there, nobody will come. But the market you're thinking of, which is really just clones of you, isn't there. It's further out, hence where most of the development the past decade has been.

Last edited by box_of_zip_disks; 04-27-2012 at 04:38 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Downtown Greenvlle will always be the spot where nightclubs, bars, and etc are that's why the West End should be revitalized for residents. If I weren't a student you would never catch me downtown but that's just me. In about 20-30 years maybe downtown will actually be a nice area, everything we all envision isn't going to happen as fast as we would like it to but I can see that progress is being made. Over the next 10 years I would like to see a hotel built, a master plan for the West End at the very least, a renovation of Town Commons, more companies locating downtown, and about 100 condo's built.
Greenville's a long way away from any gentrification phase. The expansion phase has to be exhausted first. Plus with the continuing trend of depopulation in the surrounding rural areas there's likely going to be an increasing labor surplus for the foreseeable future which won't help the areas of persistent poverty.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:13 AM

45 posts, read 62,553 times
So for the past few nights things have been pop'n over at Mellow Mushroom. TV screens going, people inside, people outside but when I called they said they didn't open until Monday. Anybody know what's up?

Old 04-27-2012, 09:59 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,039,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herringj06 View Post
So for the past few nights things have been pop'n over at Mellow Mushroom. TV screens going, people inside, people outside but when I called they said they didn't open until Monday. Anybody know what's up?
Training and practice.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 AM

45 posts, read 62,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Training and practice.
Nah, its more than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina