U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 04:28 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,190,506 times

Advertisements

The perfect place for a new mall is.............

The northeast side of US 264 and Stantonsburg.

Think about it.
  • Super easy access. You can jump on 264 and be there in no time, as opposed to stop and go on Greenville or Memorial.
  • People outside of the city can get there
  • Once the Southwest bypass is built, people from the south can get there easy
  • It is close to the largest employer
  • It is currently mostly agriculture fields and only a few houses. So it would be easy to develop.
  • It is the FIRST thing people will see when entering Greenville

Think like a Cary Crossroads, or anything like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
^ true, I'd rather the money be spent on programs to help those areas instead of a park wher murders, drug connects, and etc will occur. I'm really surprised no-one locally will donate the $250k or at least donate something towards it. I think Greenville is trying to take on too many areas at one to rehabilitate, first we should start downtown, and gradually fix those other areas as funding increases.
I agree. I understand about wanting to be "fair", since some council women think only on a black and white issue.

But this isn't going to be utilized well. It is one thing if it was 25k. That is a serious chunk of change.

Plus if we get uptown where it should be, it will increase the tax base even more, which will help out everyone.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:24 PM

5,417 posts, read 5,405,739 times
While going to Cheddar's yesterday, my husband & I noticed little red flags in the ground in the parking lot in front of Sears where Bonefish Grill is sup. to go in. My husband who had been in the Drilling business before we moved here said that his was indicative of them testing Soil Borings and Gas & Electric lines. So I guess we can say that this will be the beginning of a new restaurant breaking ground on June 21st? I hope so.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 PM

I think I wrote about this before, but the NCDOT had a meeting to discuss extending Firetower to the Southwest Bypass. There are five possible routes the DOT are currently considering. Three of the alternatives connect to the bypass on Forlines Road, and two run on Davenport Farm Road.

The rights-of-way work will cost the state an estimated $6.4 million, which has been funded. The construction, still unfunded, is estimated at $14.1 million.

Now my question. Vernon White Road and Mill Street kind of converge and intersect at Memorial with Davenport Farm Road. My question is how congested are those roads, compared to Firetower? I would assume Firetower is much more congested.

I would cleanup that Mill Road/Vernon White Road mess. Then extend Firetower eastward to take over Dr. Fulford Road and continue until it picks up Davenport Farm Road. But I would redesign it, making Firetower traffic be the main drag, which would rename the rest of Davenport Farm Road to Firetower. The section of Davenport Farm Road from Memorial to the new road could either intersect with a stoplight. Or completely take our that section of the equation.

We really need a smarter road grid section. Too many roads are thrown together and give us the crap we have today.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:28 AM

33 posts, read 57,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Now my question. Vernon White Road and Mill Street kind of converge and intersect at Memorial with Davenport Farm Road. My question is how congested are those roads, compared to Firetower? I would assume Firetower is much more congested.

I would cleanup that Mill Road/Vernon White Road mess. Then extend Firetower eastward to take over Dr. Fulford Road and continue until it picks up Davenport Farm Road. But I would redesign it, making Firetower traffic be the main drag, which would rename the rest of Davenport Farm Road to Firetower. The section of Davenport Farm Road from Memorial to the new road could either intersect with a stoplight. Or completely take our that section of the equation.

We really need a smarter road grid section. Too many roads are thrown together and give us the crap we have today.
I'm not sure how congested the Vernon White and Mill street shenanigans is but Firetower can be fairly packed. Although I'm sure cleaning up that mess of an intersection might help.

I agree also, that taking Firetower on and meeting up with and taking over Davenport makes the most sense. Davenport is pretty busy and it would allow traffic from Pitt to disperse more easily and evenly.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:59 AM

How about some proposed facilities from the Rec and Parks Department?
  • West Greenville outdoor basketball complex - 5 courts; I believe somewhere on Albemarle Ave.
  • Greenway on Green St. bridge to River Park North. To connect the South Tar River Greenway to River Park North. It would use the right-of-way currently used by the power lines.
  • Natatorium - partnership between the City, Pitt County schools, and possible private donors. The Aquatic Center pool is undersized. Will construct a modern indoor pool facility with an olympic sized pool to facilitate swim meets, swimming classes, water aerobics, etc., a smaller "warm pool" for seniors, combined with an outdoor zero depth pool/sprayground for recreational swimming. No location determined yet.
  • Phil Carroll Nature Preserve - passive park that will serve the western region of Greenville. Need site development and road access.
  • River Park North - develop the western 125acres
  • 3rd St. School - Turn the property in the back of the building into a park.
  • Lake Ellsworth - A potential donation of land to create a park here. Lake Ellsworth is near Ellsworth Drive, which is near the west quadrant of Arlington and Dickinson.
  • "Mumford Road park" - The former FEMA trailer park on Mumford, near Pactolus Highway. Around 50 acres. [My thought. There is one parcel of land separating this future park from River Park North. It would be great if it was bought as well. The power line easement already runs through this other parcel, so maybe it will happen.
  • Westpointe park - maybe a future 3ish acre park near Westpointe Drive.
  • Allen Ridge park- basically the same thing as Westpointe
  • Brook Hollow/Cobblestone park - basically the same thing as Westpointe
  • River Park South - The open land west of the Off Leash Dog Park.
  • Beech Street Pond for fishing
  • The old landfill (north of the Greenwood Cemetery) - Could be a Mountain Bike trail, due to the hills.

These are official "wants and needs" by the department. They vary in the scale. Some, like Westpointe and Allen Ridge are wanted sooner before land price/availability goes away.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big77wick View Post
I'm not sure how congested the Vernon White and Mill street shenanigans is but Firetower can be fairly packed. Although I'm sure cleaning up that mess of an intersection might help.

I agree also, that taking Firetower on and meeting up with and taking over Davenport makes the most sense. Davenport is pretty busy and it would allow traffic from Pitt to disperse more easily and evenly.
Yup, we need more TRUE cross city thoroughfares.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:37 PM

Phil Carroll Nature Preserve will start with Phase 1 during fiscal year 13-14. Including completion of entrance road and construction of basic amenities. The next year one additional shelter, trail interpretive signage, additional trails, park amenities will be built.

Eastside Park will start with their phase 1 during fiscal year 13-14. Including developing the cemetery
entrance as a temporary park entrance. Develops very basic amenities; dog park, picnic shelter, water to site.

Town Common - Phase 1 starts in 13-14. Phase 2 construction. Development of Phase 3 &
Phase 4 will occur in 2014-15. Phase 3 construction in 2015-16 and phase 4 in 2016-17.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 AM

286 posts, read 553,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Also noticed a excavator at the gas station on the corner of Greenville Blvd. / Evans Street..the one that has been closed for awhile now. Wondering if they are going to tear it down or dig up the fuel tanks? Hoping they are tearing it down & building something else..or just expanding that bolden auto place since they seem to use that lot anyways.
The pumps and tanks have now been removed

Old 05-17-2012, 09:49 AM

228 posts, read 521,796 times
So glad to see so many other types of development are taking place in Greenville...other than new restaurants...this area needs more restaurants about as much as a teenager needs more pimples...

Love all the park and rec updates - this is the kind of growth this area needs...will attract more young upwardly mobile folks to the area and will hopefully help reduce the growth of waistlines in the area...clearly a need...

Agree with the notion that downtown should be revitalized first...sorry, but until the crime problem is addressed, putting money into West Greenville is about as effective as putting money into a boat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina