Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 08:55 AM

45 posts, read 75,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
I was told by relatives older than me that years ago first years living on campus were not allowed to have cars. ECU didn't have the parking to support it. Then they fenced in that gravel lot out by the Salvation Army and started allowing it.
Freshman parking has since moved to Curry Court (intersection of Greenville & Charles) near the soccer fields.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 09:21 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big77wick View Post
What in the world are you talking about? I didn't think there was a health foods store over there. The only thing even close that I'm aware of is the Asain Market place that sells Asian groceries and a lot of that is NOT health food. The only health food stores I've seen in Greenville is Oakmont Health Food Store on Charles. I actually don't know how he stays in business. He's a nice guy but his selection is minmal at best and his prices our ridiculous. And I mean absolutely, completely, insanely over priced.

The best option for a health food store needs to be a co-op. Greenville is hugely lacking in affordable, healthy options. Especially since the farmers market is pretty weak too. And if anyone suggests that Fresh Market is a health food store, you should be slapped! I'm not even going to go off on that rabbit trail. Anyways, Co-op, plain and simple would be awesome! It's the only way to get reasonable, local and health specialty items at affordable prices unless Whole Foods comes into town. But let's be honest, there is no way that's going to happen in an area that is competeing for the fast-food, obesity and diabetes capital of the country. Plus this area could use a community centered grocer that could help bring the few health conscience people in the area together while helping to educate those that are interested.

Lol your right, it is a Asian Market but it is pretty busy. And exactly we lack affordable health stores in our community, so one day I hope to open one in uptown. We are a long way away from getting a Whole Foods so that's not a option, and like you said the Fresh Market isnt a health foods store, its just a upscale grocery store. I believe that it would be able to flourish uptown if done right though, I would target ECU students.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:05 PM

33 posts, read 69,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Lol your right, it is a Asian Market but it is pretty busy. And exactly we lack affordable health stores in our community, so one day I hope to open one in uptown. We are a long way away from getting a Whole Foods so that's not a option, and like you said the Fresh Market isnt a health foods store, its just a upscale grocery store. I believe that it would be able to flourish uptown if done right though, I would target ECU students.

I think you'd have a tough go of it trying to market a health food store to the students at ECU. Granted, there are a lot of students, I think that the percentage that actually understand or care about healthy food enough to make a health food store profitable is lacking. Plus, then you arae looking at a hugely seasonal income, which isn't always bad but could make it more challenging.

Where exactly are talking about when you say uptown. Because if you're targeting students then I think you're going to run into problems with a less accessible location that would do better in a more high traffic area.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:01 PM

I'm not sure where it would be in uptown, any suggestions? It will be five years minimum before I open it unless I run into some serious money. I honestly think the store will prosper if it's a mixture of health foods and a cafe/small restaurant, it could be similr to a whole foods on a smaller scale. I'm not sure if you read when we all were talking about what should be done to the West End, but if the store does prove successful and the West End does get on track I would open there.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:07 PM

286 posts, read 653,135 times
Greenville is not like Chapel Hill or Boone. Those kind of stores could work around SOME colleges... just not this one.

But I wish you best of luck :-)

Old 05-23-2012, 03:28 PM

54 posts, read 75,577 times
I disagree I believe one of these stores would work great in greenville. We just need to get more people uptown and have it feel less threatening, but I feel like slowly we are getting there. BMOREBOY if you had the money I would defintely try and either really renovate a building inside or out or either just bulldoze and build a new one completely. There are a few spots that are eye sores to me in pretty high traffic areas. You have the community arts building or whatever thats right across from the BB&T that could be a good spot. Right across you have the Thai restaurant that I am sure will be closing any day now. You also have the place Jerrichos which used to be a hookah bar/restaurant that has plenty of room and wouldnt take much to renovate. Im not sure what the future of this building is however if ECU ends up expanding like it says it will. There are defintely spots you can find and you could also apply for a grant to help get it started. I fully support you in this.

Old 05-23-2012, 04:08 PM

33 posts, read 69,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvllepirate View Post
I disagree I believe one of these stores would work great in greenville. We just need to get more people uptown and have it feel less threatening, but I feel like slowly we are getting there. BMOREBOY if you had the money I would defintely try and either really renovate a building inside or out or either just bulldoze and build a new one completely. There are a few spots that are eye sores to me in pretty high traffic areas. You have the community arts building or whatever thats right across from the BB&T that could be a good spot. Right across you have the Thai restaurant that I am sure will be closing any day now. You also have the place Jerrichos which used to be a hookah bar/restaurant that has plenty of room and wouldnt take much to renovate. Im not sure what the future of this building is however if ECU ends up expanding like it says it will. There are defintely spots you can find and you could also apply for a grant to help get it started. I fully support you in this.

I could concur with most of this statement. However, I'm far more skeptical that uptown is making any significant strides in being "less threatening". Slow, in my pessimistic opinion, is being optimistic. That being said I am still hopeful and would totally support a venture of this nature, assuming it is done well, which is what seems to be a big stumbling block for small business in this area. Tipsy Teapot is a great example of this. "Healthy" food store which is over priced, good food but not at all profitable. I talked to her and she said she had to work another job doing sign language classes and interpretation, I believe, to actually have money to live on. She said that the business itself was able to basically break even at best.

This is a big problem in this area I think. Most small business owners I've met in this area are either too concerned about profit and have crap customer service, have no concept of a budget and fold, or are just plain complacent and don't care about making any improvements and or progression in their business. Any successfull business owner knows that you can't do well typically being stagnant and lazy. This is just my experience and observation. Of course this isn't always the case but for some reason I see a LOT of businesses go under on a regular basis around here.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:08 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,200 times
Quote:
I'm not sure where it would be in uptown, any suggestions? It will be five years minimum before I open it unless I run into some serious money. I honestly think the store will prosper if it's a mixture of health foods and a cafe/small restaurant, it could be similr to a whole foods on a smaller scale. I'm not sure if you read when we all were talking about what should be done to the West End, but if the store does prove successful and the West End does get on track I would open there.
Take over the City Market and gut it!

Seriously, that's one possibility. The former Jerrichos on Cotanche. There are empty store fronts on Evans. In five years a lot can change, so maybe the 4th St. Tavern could be available. I'm not sure how big of space you'll need, but I'm sure you'll want some parking spots adjacent to your entrance. I personally like this building on Dickinson between Reade and Pitt:

In the rear you could build a parking lot (Even though a sitting deck would be perfect here if it were a restaurant!)

No matter where I think you'd have to do mad advertising, hand out flyers on campus, have info stands at ball games and fests, hold events, etc.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:21 PM

Thanks for all four of these recent posts, I'm trying to stay optimistic in uptown and I'm a visionary & a perfectionist so it wouldn't be slack at all. Unfortunately I don't have the capital at the moment but if everything plays out over these next few years with my grand fathers estate I will, and I'm planning to begin investing soon so that's why I'm giving everything a five year timeline at the least.

I dont want a new building but I don't want a crappy building either but something that I can fix up so it'll have that urban/modernist feel that I crave. When I visited CA last year I was fascinated in how there health food stores were and I want to copy their model in some ways. The prices weren't outrageous,, it had a great selection, the staff was great, the building wasn't great though. But if my store comes out similar to how that store was I would imagine it could be profitable here, we're not the healthiest city on the world but we do have people who are health conscious. Of course I'm entering into a niche market but that's where the cafe part comes into place, if the food and staff is good enough I'm sure I'll be able to attract a serious amount of customers from ECU.

And that's crazy, because the building in your first picture was the building I would move into once the West End gets on track. And like you said in five years a lot will may change so by then I'm sure uptown will be able to support my health foods store.

Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,764,200 times
Quote:
And that's crazy, because the building in your first picture was the building I would move into once the West End gets on track. And like you said in five years a lot will may change so by then I'm sure uptown will be able to support my health foods store.
The second pic is the back of the first. Great building and not too far away from current business activity. I wish you success no matter where you apply your entrepreneurial ambitions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina