U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 11:29 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,186,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyInNC View Post
Ahh just caught up. A few things:

-ECU should be ashamed of themselves for demolishing Stratford Arms apartments for parking purposes. Meanwhile, buses continue to burn expensive diesel fuel to go 2+ miles further down the road to newer apartment complexes that have been built to meet demand for ECU's growing student population. *hint: THIS BEHAVIOR IS A HUGE PART OF WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS TOWN.*
I thought I already addressed this, but I guess not.

ECU had the opportunity to buy Stratford Arms. The apartment complex is adjacent to the Blount Sports field. This was a great buy to get a 12 acre lot.

Stratford Arms was originally built in 1965. That place was OLD. Do you realize how much money it would cost to retrofit everything there to bring it up to standards? It would cost A LOT less to raze it like they did.

Plus, since they didn't prepare to buy this lot, they are TEMPORARY making it into parking. That isn't long term. Just until a plan is created for this land.

So, I don't understand why there is a rant. It makes complete sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 11:55 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,186,224 times
New diagram of the roundabout on Portertown and Firetower Roads. I believe construction should start June 18, 2012 and end August 17, 2012.

Other stuff (some things I've already posted it before).

*Construct on NC43 a right turn lane onto Mills Rd and extend existing left turn lane onto Worthington Rd
*10th St is getting resurface from Evans St to Dickinson Ave. Recall this is "apart" of the 10th St connector. Also, the city is planning on redoing/streetscaping Evans from 10th to Reade Circle. So this is interesting.
*Charles Blvd is getting a raised median from Greenville Blvd to Red Banks Road. So that should continue the raised median from the railroad tracks. Should look nice.
*Evans and Arlington intersection is getting resurfaced. It should start around July 1 and end no later than August 31. The construction cannot occur from 6am to 8pm every day.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:27 PM

33 posts, read 57,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I thought I already addressed this, but I guess not.

ECU had the opportunity to buy Stratford Arms. The apartment complex is adjacent to the Blount Sports field. This was a great buy to get a 12 acre lot.

Stratford Arms was originally built in 1965. That place was OLD. Do you realize how much money it would cost to retrofit everything there to bring it up to standards? It would cost A LOT less to raze it like they did.

Plus, since they didn't prepare to buy this lot, they are TEMPORARY making it into parking. That isn't long term. Just until a plan is created for this land.

So, I don't understand why there is a rant. It makes complete sense to me.
I retract my previous statement. Thank you for reposting that information, that does make sense. I misunderstood.
And thanks for the post on the roundabout. I'm excited to be able to go to work everyday and not have to worry about getting hit at that intersection every time. Any word on whether they will be closing this area during the construction or will they just divert traffic while they work on it?

Old 05-29-2012, 06:22 AM

6 posts, read 7,496 times
Here is a crazy idea......instead of putting a stupid roundabout at that location why not just put up a stoplight......wow, problem solved and they wouldn’t have to waste half of the money they are going to on something that most people don’t even know how to properly use, nor do I think it will really help the traffic situation at that intersection especially with the new Wal-Mart going up.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:46 AM

5,417 posts, read 5,403,151 times
Like Thomas said, put a light in makes much better sense. Most people don't know how to negotiate a 4 way-stop, I can only imagine them navigating a circle.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 AM

286 posts, read 552,891 times
Kinston has a traffic circle now.

Come on people. If the fine residents of the K-Town can navigate one, we can too.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:50 AM

3,286 posts, read 5,436,304 times
I haven't seen the one in Kinston but the one in Tarboro is nice but their residents don't know how to use it. Greenville may have a more educated population than all surrounding areas but this is no Europe, NY,or any other place where roundabouts are necessary, we don't know how to use them. I had to go on YouTube just to learn how to use the one at Best Buy correctly and although I use it correctly doesn't mean others do as well. Now the City TV Network needs to make a video on how to use the roundabouts properly and maybe even the 4-Way Stops because I refuse to enter a Roundabout where no one, knows what there doing.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 AM

45 posts, read 62,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I haven't seen the one in Kinston but the one in Tarboro is nice but their residents don't know how to use it. Greenville may have a more educated population than all surrounding areas but this is no Europe, NY,or any other place where roundabouts are necessary, we don't know how to use them. I had to go on YouTube just to learn how to use the one at Best Buy correctly and although I use it correctly doesn't mean others do as well. Now the City TV Network needs to make a video on how to use the roundabouts properly and maybe even the 4-Way Stops because I refuse to enter a Roundabout where no one, knows what there doing.
***The tone of this reply is humorous and not meant to be read in an angry way***

Come on guys...all this concern over a roundabout? Really?

I've used the one in Kinston and at Best Buy many times and like it much better than waiting for a traffic light. Everyone seems to figure it out just fine. It's a roundabout! Making an instructional video...is that a joke? lol

And please save the dramatics because if you are approaching a roundabout and someone doesn't know how to use it you will not "refuse" anything.

How about lets take the drama down a few clicks, my gosh!

Old 05-29-2012, 10:55 AM

3,286 posts, read 5,436,304 times
lol don't get it confused, I approve of a roundabout but not here. I actually like and know how to use them, but that doesn't many everyone here knows how to use them. In fact I'll make a bet that the majority of people here do not know how to use them.

And I'm very serious about a instructional video, I'm not sure about you but I'd rather people know what the hell there doing in a roundabout rather than driving in it ignorantly, hoping not to get hit.

And your right if I were at the roundabout myself and someone didn't know how to use it there's no turning back but that's NOT what I meant. I'm saying I'm never driving through that roundabout, if people cant handle the simply one at Best Buy, I don't expect them to know how to use this new one on a road. Like I've said in the past people don't know how to use a 4-Way so they won't know how to use a roundabout so a instructional video would be necessary in my opinion.

But have a nice day, that post from earlier wasn't meant to make you angry.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:58 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,749 times
I pitty the fool who can't figure out how to use a round-a-bout.

A stop light at that intersection would have caused more congestion than is already there because we all know Greenville can't get their stop lights in sync with one another (see g-ville blvd).

I also am skeptical on how a health food store would do down or er uptown, but I wish you the best if you are able to pursue this idea. What you should really open is a Dave & Busters type place in the old Circuit City & sell unhealthy food - that would work much better j/k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina