U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 01:11 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,641,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Right, while we still have a mile-ish break from development, the state needs to buy that and wait. There is no reason for a beltline to include Ayden and Simpson. They will flourish just as much on the other side of this fantasy beltway. Cary and Garner are doing great, even though they are not in the beltline. Ya gotta think, if you live on Contry Home Road near Worthington Road, you won't drive south or east to pick up the beltline. You're gonna drive through Winterville.

Having it cut off those two towns will promote growth on both sides.
Garner was a no-name town out in the sticks until people started getting priced out of North Raleigh in the mid-90s. Also both them and Cary, along with most of Apex are going to be circumscribed by 540 in its final form, a plan which incidentally was first proposed 20 years ago when nobody in their right mind would've considered Garner or Apex part of the larger Raleigh conurbation.

In fact Apex had about the same population in 1990 as Ayden does today. Which isn't to imply that Ayden will grow at the same rate, but that it's not entirely foolish to place a loop road to the south of there, especially 20-30 years from now, which would likely be when it'd be fully completed assuming it actually happens.

Another point to consider regarding the southern end of the proposed Greenville beltline is it's right by the Pespi bottling plant and Weyerhaeuser, plus DuPont and GTP being a few minutes down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 04:12 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,190,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Garner was a no-name town out in the sticks until people started getting priced out of North Raleigh in the mid-90s. Also both them and Cary, along with most of Apex are going to be circumscribed by 540 in its final form, a plan which incidentally was first proposed 20 years ago when nobody in their right mind would've considered Garner or Apex part of the larger Raleigh conurbation.

In fact Apex had about the same population in 1990 as Ayden does today. Which isn't to imply that Ayden will grow at the same rate, but that it's not entirely foolish to place a loop road to the south of there, especially 20-30 years from now, which would likely be when it'd be fully completed assuming it actually happens.

Another point to consider regarding the southern end of the proposed Greenville beltline is it's right by the Pespi bottling plant and Weyerhaeuser, plus DuPont and GTP being a few minutes down the road.
But Garner still flourished, even though being on the other side of the beltline. I am all for the Southwest Bypass on its current path. But the loop doesn't need to continue on the south side or Ayden. Ayden and Simpson will flourish no matter on what side of the road its on. The smaller loop would just make the transit quicker and cheaper.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:09 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,641,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
But Garner still flourished, even though being on the other side of the beltline. I am all for the Southwest Bypass on its current path. But the loop doesn't need to continue on the south side or Ayden. Ayden and Simpson will flourish no matter on what side of the road its on. The smaller loop would just make the transit quicker and cheaper.
Actually according to the census Garner's population grew by the same amount between 1980-2000 as it did from 2000-2010. I-440 was completed in 1984, yet somehow in the first two decades afterward the town experienced little growth compared to the past decade when cheap land and rising prices elsewhere pushed new growth south of Raleigh. In fact, Garner added as many people in the 80s as they did in the 70s, and growth actually stalled in the 90s.

You're making the mistake of thinking about your current transportation needs with regard to a project which won't exist for another couple decades. By the time it's done Ayden will likely have spread south of the proposed road.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:19 PM

50 posts, read 59,502 times
check out this thread from the ECU rivals board.

"Several buildings on the north side of downtown 5th St. will eventually be leveled to make room for a new apartment/condo complex that will also have restaurants in that area. The area outlined includes from the old Elbo Room through Hair by Ricky all the way back to the SupDogs Restaurant if they can buy up the Stop Shop building property. Doing this is the first step in creating more of a skyline in the area and providing a modern look for the Uptown/Five Points area."

PirateIllustrated.com - Message Boards

Old 07-20-2012, 08:50 PM

3,287 posts, read 5,439,753 times
Sounds pretty promising and bad ass, hopefully it works out that way. I'd love for Greenville to have a skyline and a vibrant uptown area.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:23 PM

232 posts, read 398,647 times
Doesnt sound realistic to me

Old 07-20-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
Doesnt sound realistic to me

sounds like a long shot but you never know what kind of funding could come from a private developer. I ask anyone, why not here? Ive seen major overhauls in cities around NC and I think greenville deserves it and could thrive with it just as good as any.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:48 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,043,456 times
I'd like to know the source of this info.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:09 PM

232 posts, read 398,647 times
so they would level the newly remodeled quarry? what happens when one of the 10 businesses involved says no I dont want to sell my building to a developer?

Old 07-20-2012, 10:09 PM

OTM on pirateillustrated.com is the editor of the board over there and is pretty well connected to ECU and greenville. He often speaks a little crazy but in the end wants what is best for ECU and Greenville. This could be a bad rumor, but it would not be started by him IMO and seems to be in the know on certain issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina