U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It's looking a little less likely, at this time, that US 264 will become an Interstate any time soon. There are two options. Get Congress to fund it or get the state to commit to a 25 year plan to bring US 264 up to Interstate standards and then choose a number. It was agreed that the state will do the most preliminary work in getting the process started. That is basically measuring the road to see exactly what will have to be done.

The Daily Reflector
I would rather use the money involved with this project to fund other more appropriate projects.

Expanding NC Highway 43 is a perfect example of a project that needs funding.

Rocky Mount, Greenville, and New Bern should all be connected to each other using Highway 43. With at least a 4 lane 55mph highway. This could help people coming from the northern states quicker access to the Crystal Coast. (Coming from 95 connecting to the new 43.)

From south of Kinston to Wallace should connect with a 4 lane road as well. It's currently the quickest route from Greenville to Wilmington. It should take less time to get from Gville to Wilmington than from Raleigh to Wilmington!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 06:24 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,184,042 times
I still think the best way would be to convince whoever to make "Interstate 44" use 264, instead of 64. I-44 would connect Raleigh to Norfolk. That would be HUGE for Greenville to be a major stop on an interstate, as opposed to the destination.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:37 PM

Here are a few more points from that article:
  • At $2 million per mile, the cost to bring the federal highway up to Interstate standards could easily exceed $76 million
  • The four mayors ordered engineers to measure U.S. 264 for a fitting. Measurements are expected to take four to six weeks.
  • According to a federal study, Greenville is one of a handful of cities across the country that are in a metropolitan area of more than 100,000 residents that is not serviced by an Interstate.
Could someone help me with this sentence:
Quote:
If U.S. 264 cannot be tweaked, leaders discussed connecting Greenville to the proposed I-74 corridor or U.S. 17, as it is now through the use of N.C. 11
According to this, I-74 enters NC near Mount Airy. The plan is for it to go around Winston-Salem, High Point, Rockingham, Lumberton, Whiteville, and Shalotte, until it connects up to the Carolina Bays Parkway in SC. That is nowhere near us.

They also mention:
Quote:
There is Interstate 74, which would run from Durham to Michigan
What is up with that?

Old 07-25-2012, 10:04 PM

232 posts, read 398,320 times
anybody been past the walmart development recently?

Old 07-26-2012, 03:47 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,041,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Expanding NC Highway 43 is a perfect example of a project that needs funding.

Rocky Mount, Greenville, and New Bern should all be connected to each other using Highway 43. With at least a 4 lane 55mph highway. This could help people coming from the northern states quicker access to the Crystal Coast. (Coming from 95 connecting to the new 43.)
I go to Maryland at least twice a year and 43 is my preferred route to get to 95. Except for the occasional putt-putt driving at 40 MPH, it's an easy drive at pretty much whatever speed you feel like going. A lot of it is through nothing but corn fields so it's a safe drive. Please remember to slow down through towns and near developments.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:43 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,638,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I still think the best way would be to convince whoever to make "Interstate 44" use 264, instead of 64. I-44 would connect Raleigh to Norfolk. That would be HUGE for Greenville to be a major stop on an interstate, as opposed to the destination.
Why would anyone building a direct interstate route from Raleigh to Norfolk divert it all the way out to Greenville?

Old 07-26-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Why would anyone building a direct interstate route from Raleigh to Norfolk divert it all the way out to Greenville?
The current "proposed" route is to use US64 until Williamston. So the only difference, would be a new road to connect Greenville to Williamston.

Yes it is more expensive, but it would be an advantage to have Greenville on the interstate. The communities in NE NC having a direct route to our Hospital is reason enough.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:15 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,638,458 times
Quote:
The current "proposed" route is to use US64 until Williamston. So the only difference, would be a new road to connect Greenville to Williamston.

Yes it is more expensive, but it would be an advantage to have Greenville on the interstate.
I know that, which is why it makes no sense. The whole point of that RTA pipe dream is to use existing roads. Building out a new path to bypass 64 just to route traffic to Greenville is something a parody of a terrible urban planner would come up with.

Upgrading the 12 mile length of 11 from Greenville to 64 to interstate standards would do more with or without any theoretical I-44. It really sucks having to go from 80 to 65 for that last stretch. Actually using that route up 13 to Hampton Roads for a future interstate instead of around Williamston up through Elizabeth City would be quicker, plus an actual straight shot to Greenville.

Quote:
The communities in NE NC having a direct route to our Hospital is reason enough.
For serious emergencies everywhere east of the Chowan river goes up to Norfolk if Albemarle or Chowan can't take them. It's a longer drive to Pitt until you get to about Ahoskie or Columbia. Even with the theoretical interstate that wouldn't change. On the outer banks the only way you get to go to Pitt is if you have a heart attack on Ocracoke. And even then the Medflight guys will try to avoid it because most of mainland Dare, Tyrrell, Hyde, and Beaufort Counties are massive federal no-fly zones.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:05 PM

286 posts, read 552,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Building out a new path to bypass 64 just to route traffic to Greenville is something a parody of a terrible urban planner would come up with.
lulz

I've long had a theory on who "MrBojangles" actually is and, considering that, the line I just quoted is absolutely hilarious.
The lunacy fits in with almost every other project the man has conceived for COG lately.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:13 PM

232 posts, read 398,320 times
I think we need to work on our own city highways before we worry about the interstates. What good is an interstate if you cant easily get around the city you are driving to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina