Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,220,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
The fact that you know almost everything submitted to the planning office (before it is truly released to the public) yet pretend not to know even the first names of the staff there speaks volumes. Thou doth protest too much, methinks.

To others - if it seems that I have a vendetta, it's because I personally can't stand the man. All the pet projects he wastes our tax money on and moronic ideas that he purports will "save" downtown are infuriating to anyone who actually pays attention to our city government. The only person worse is Marion Blackburn.
I'll hold back from saying what I really think, because this is a family site. But you need to gtfo. It is sad to become some internet tough guy. What is even sadder is you are completely wrong. And I am NOT going to prove or disprove anything, because I do not give a sh*t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:19 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,220,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Great news, that I didn't expect to happen so quickly:

The Daily Reflector

Greenville connects to Amtrak

"Starting this fall, Amtrak shuttle buses will come to Greenville to connect eastern North Carolina with high-speed passenger rail service nationwide, the federal train operator announced Monday."

For more information on "Thruway Service" here:
Amtrak Thruway Motorcoach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd probably never use this shuttle although I use Amtrak frequently, but nevertheless it's positive news for Greenville and East Carolina as a whole. It seems like a lot more progress is being achieved under the new mayor, I'm not sure if it's just good timing or not but I applaud his efforts.
I assume that the use of this service, vs an actual train will be less. Hopefully they will have some formula that would show how many people would use an actual train service. But I agree, it is a good addition.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:05 PM

286 posts, read 648,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I'll hold back from saying what I really think, because this is a family site. But you need to gtfo. It is sad to become some internet tough guy. What is even sadder is you are completely wrong. And I am NOT going to prove or disprove anything, because I do not give a sh*t.
You must give a little bit of a sh*t since you keep replying...

Old 08-08-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I have a couple of thoughts about this paragraph...

I do agree that there does seem to be a whole lot of parking lots downtown. I was just looking at Google maps and it seems like there's more parking lots than anything elsse downtown.

I don't know if it's a good idea to expand the bus service later into the night as long as these robberies keep happening. I don't have an answer to the robberies problem but they really need to get a handle on it.
The robberies have cut down a bit since Anderson left. I don't think the acting chief is as big on the "hug a thug" mentality that Anderson was.

A parking deck is a great idea but it is going to be a long row to hoe getting people used to the idea of using one. People in Greenville shop at places where you park at the front door and are used to that.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:14 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,405,072 times
^Agreed. People here will not be willing to pay to park at these garages at first either, so I would suggest in filling the existing parking lots over time to make sure people don't have a choice but to park in the garage. I've always wondered if the hospital had its own garage by the emergency department? There's a building that looks like it has a ramp to park on its roof or something but I've never seen anyone drive up it before.

And speaking of Vidant, do you guys believe Winterville will ever get its own small hospital?

SN: Nevermind I looked up Google Streetview and saw vehichles parked on top of the building I was talking about. And I think Google Streetview has been updated.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:29 PM

Are you talking about the building where the EastCare helicopters land? I don't know what the 'last mile' mode of transport is so maybe they drive ambulances up to get the patients into the ER itself.

Google has updated streetview... the roads in Greenville and Winterville are new views and they added roads that were not done last time.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:35 PM

This is the building I was speaking of:

And yeah I noticed it was update when I saw the new Taco Bell by the hospital.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:43 PM

You can actually get right next to it if you drop the street view on Emergency Drive. Looks like some sort of warehouse with parking on top. The 1st floor is enclosed and there are a few bay doors on the side of it.

Old 08-08-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
You can actually get right next to it if you drop the street view on Emergency Drive. Looks like some sort of warehouse with parking on top. The 1st floor is enclosed and there are a few bay doors on the side of it.
I have no clue what that building may be.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:05 AM

286 posts, read 566,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I have no clue what that building may be.
The ramp goes up to physician parking. The building underneath it houses EastCare's offices, housekeeping, the maintenance building, and the backside of the cafeteria.

The landing pad is simply where they store the helicopters. When they are dropping people off (or taking them away), they land on the roof of the emergency department. It was built to hold two helo's at the same time, and can support the weight of Pedro, the Marine helicopter.

Of note, the reason there aren't more parking garages in Greenville is because it is generally cheaper to build sideways than up. Land is cheap, reinforced concrete tall structures for a hurricane/flood zone, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina