Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 03:39 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,218,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandapaigec View Post
What apartment complex is being placed beside Treybrooke Apartments down by Brody School of Medicine?
Arlington something. It is mentioned here a few pages back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 03:08 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,402,656 times
The Daily Reflector
I knew Greenville was a special place when it came to terrible drivers; plenty of other Carolina cities have terrible drives but Greenville is just ridiculous.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:57 AM

2,305 posts, read 6,063,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
The Daily Reflector
I knew Greenville was a special place when it came to terrible drivers; plenty of other Carolina cities have terrible drives but Greenville is just ridiculous.
If you look over to the left of the article there is a side bar that lists the infractions that they found. I don't know how long they were out there but that is a lot of infractions. It only confirms my suspicions that most drivers here aren't concerned with even the most basic traffic laws. I wrote a letter to the Daily Reflector about the use of the center turn lane to merge into traffic and the online responses weren't very supportive of my view.

There is a lawlessness that occupies Greenville. Most of the time it's more like an 1860 western town with no sheriff. It shows in the number of robberies and the number of vehicle accidents. Both of those areas of crime are out of control and it doesn't seem like anyone is concerned with stopping it.

They can blame the accidents on the new students all they want but why don't the other college towns have this problem?

Old 08-19-2012, 11:24 AM

1,807 posts, read 2,733,618 times
Quote:
The Daily Reflector
This is what happens when the police don't do regular patrols across the entire town, along with an increase in crime. Greenville's roads are a clusterf*** of people driving scared, aggressive, confused or indifferent. There's not one bit of unity. It's not just the students, but it's also the phone talkers, texters, migrant workers driving like do back home, and people coming into the city from the surrounding ruralness and maintaining their country driving style. Speeding doesn't seem to be the issue, but traffic flow does. There's no order. Personally, I'm fed up with people pulling out in front of me while I'm doing 50, as if I won't be on top of them by the time their vehicle completes their turn.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:34 PM

2,305 posts, read 6,063,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Speeding doesn't seem to be the issue, but traffic flow does.
Most people here think speeding is an issue for a reason. They'll block roads up driving 5, 10 and 15 MPH under the limit. Then when the cars behind them get a chance to go, they often go briskly. There were 2 cars traveling west on Firetower this morning. From Arlington Blvd to almost all the way to Greenville Blvd they moseyed along, side by side, 30, 35 and 40. They had 2 dozen cars held up behind them. People were jockeying back and forth, switching lanes, hoping they could get by them. That's what causes accidents. That's what cause traffic flow problems. And another thing, when the light turns green GO damnit. Don't sit there thinking about going. Don't continue to talk on the phone. Stop putting your makeup on. Pay attention to the traffic light and not the conversation you're having.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:41 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,174,350 times
I dunno, looking at the AAA stats, it's all fender-benders. Pitt's fatality ranking is down in the middle. Most of the high-fatality counties are rural ones like Hyde and Clay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post

They can blame the accidents on the new students all they want but why don't the other college towns have this problem?
Watauga County's in the top five for both total and non-fatal crashes. Pitt's got the advantage on non-fatal injurious crashes, but that can be a function of more rural crashes, which tend to be at higher speed, or people not wearing seatbelts. Or the fact that unlike Boone, it's physically possible to drive over 10mph in Greenville.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:42 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,402,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
This is what happens when the police don't do regular patrols across the entire town, along with an increase in crime. Greenville's roads are a clusterf*** of people driving scared, aggressive, confused or indifferent. There's not one bit of unity. It's not just the students, but it's also the phone talkers, texters, migrant workers driving like do back home, and people coming into the city from the surrounding ruralness and maintaining their country driving style. Speeding doesn't seem to be the issue, but traffic flow does. There's no order. Personally, I'm fed up with people pulling out in front of me while I'm doing 50, as if I won't be on top of them by the time their vehicle completes their turn.
I cannot tell you how many times that happens to me in one day in Greenville. Everytime it happens I think "they cannot be this stupid to pull out in front of me" so I continue going whatever the speed limit is and at the last minute they pull out in front of me.

Old 08-19-2012, 05:31 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,733,618 times
Quote:
I cannot tell you how many times that happens to me in one day in Greenville. Everytime it happens I think "they cannot be this stupid to pull out in front of me" so I continue going whatever the speed limit is and at the last minute they pull out in front of me.
Yup! The old I'll wait 'til they get real close before I pull on out in front of them trick! At one point, I wondered if my charcoal grey car is hard to see or gauge its velocity, but no, drivers in Greenville just suck!

Old 08-19-2012, 10:42 PM

There aren't good corridors in the city. Along with the unsynced traffic lights. Plus, especially this time of the year, the influx of students at East Carolina and PCC. Also people from out of the city/county using services here (hospital or ECU). And the land use pattern is still crap. With the its cheaper to build out, than up.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 PM

The old Stratford Arms looks great. ECU was able to demolish the apartment complex, while keeping the trees intact. It looks marvelous. There will be some good tailgating there this fall.

Campus Towers is constructing something on Cotanche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina