Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 04:01 PM

33 posts, read 69,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
In regards to the traffic circle, it's great that it seems to be working well. I was hesitant about the city moving to roundabouts because I feared the safety of others but if it's working great as you say, then let's keep it and maybe even embrace it in other parts of the city.
In fact, I took my bicycle to work today and it was AWESOME to be able to take that turn and not fear for my life, well at least not while I'm in the roundabout. Cycling ANY where in Pitt County is another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 04:27 AM

2,305 posts, read 6,063,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big77wick View Post
Cycling ANY where in Pitt County is another story.
Cycling is no worse than merely walking. I have to work right at the edge of the road on a regular basis. It amazes and frightens me that drivers won't move over or slow down, even a little bit, for pedestrians at the edge of the road. I always give peds and bikes a very wide berth. I don't care that it's a double yellow line, I'm going over it to give them room. I'd rather get a ticket for failure to keep right of center than run someone over.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:39 PM

33 posts, read 69,032 times
Does anyone know when Dick's is going to be open?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 PM

232 posts, read 471,404 times
does anyone know the status of the new practice arena at ECU? I was wondering if there were any complications. There hasnt been much progress. Still just a mound of dirt

Old 09-10-2012, 09:26 AM

286 posts, read 648,501 times
There is a piece in the Daily Reflector today discussing various construction projects underway in town. The building at Evans and Blvd is apparently going to be a Mattress Firm.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:08 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,218,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big77wick View Post
Does anyone know when Dick's is going to be open?
Isn't it like the last week or so in September? Like I want to say around Sept 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIR8tes12 View Post
does anyone know the status of the new practice arena at ECU? I was wondering if there were any complications. There hasnt been much progress. Still just a mound of dirt
I think it is progressing fine. There is a lot of stuff that has to go into the ground, before any structure is built. But these recent rains couldn't help the progress.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:11 AM

The Public Works Dept wants to test a "traffic calming" strategy from Reade Circle to 5th St. They will add speed cushions, curb separators, traffic signs and pavement markings in the test area. The plan to lessen speed and "corral" pedestrians downtown. They want to install FG300, which is pictured below.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:47 AM

286 posts, read 648,501 times
They really should just leave well enough alone. It's not like we have a problem with people getting mowed down.

The end goal seems to be no cars downtown and for lack of a snazzier term... That's just idiotic. It will remain that only nearby thugs and college kids who live nearby will frequent downtown.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
They really should just leave well enough alone. It's not like we have a problem with people getting mowed down.

The end goal seems to be no cars downtown and for lack of a snazzier term... That's just idiotic. It will remain that only nearby thugs and college kids who live nearby will frequent downtown.
I completely disagree. If the "end goal" would be zero cars uptown, then the Mayor wouldn't have rescinded the order to keep cars out from that area on the weekend nights. They are trying to INCREASE people living/working/etc uptown, so that would go against it too. Plus looking at Fayetteville St in Raleigh, opening that road up did wonders.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 PM

232 posts, read 471,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I completely disagree. If the "end goal" would be zero cars uptown, then the Mayor wouldn't have rescinded the order to keep cars out from that area on the weekend nights. They are trying to INCREASE people living/working/etc uptown, so that would go against it too. Plus looking at Fayetteville St in Raleigh, opening that road up did wonders.
The main reason the barricades were removed was because it encouraged undesirables to come downtown solely for the purpose of finding a spot on the sidewalk to stand and talk, But i see your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina