Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2012, 07:58 AM

54 posts, read 75,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The first and foremost thing to do is make it safe. Downtown is well known to have problems with murders, muggings and assaults. Particularly once the sun goes down. Get rid of those businesses that attract these elements and the problem goes away.

We've had this discussion before and there are people who question where the bars/clubs are supposed to go. I don't care where they go, they just need to leave downtown. The students at ECU don't have a God given right to have a place to drink and act like fools. Let alone an entire city block full of places to do that.

Like some have proposed before I think we need to make "downtown" big enough where we can cater to the college crowd and the older crowd. The area on dickinson could be a place where you bring in the more desirable businesses while keeping the bar district on 5th street for the college kids. the area on 5th street still needs to be cleaned up and I wouldnt mind if places like the phoenix, rumors, half way house etc. left. Most college towns are able to balance between the college bars and other places that cater to older people and families. No reason we cant do that here. Drunk college kids arent the problem. Its the greenville locals from west greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 09:15 AM

286 posts, read 653,200 times
Drunk college kids are part of the problem. No one wants to be around that.

Greenville SC is rather large to use as a comparison (Greenville/S-burg is the largest metro in SC) but Columbia is a good example of how to split it up. They have the Congaree Vista for professional/older crowd and Five Points for the USC students. Five Points, by the way, is just as crummy as our downtown is now (that's why I say no one wants to be around the drunk college kids).

Old 09-17-2012, 12:38 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,103,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvllepirate View Post
Its the greenville locals from west greenville.
That's why I suggested that gentrification may be the answer there. Gentrification can be encouraged with tax breaks and other municipal offerings. Where will the people that are there now go? Try Kinston.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:02 PM

286 posts, read 653,200 times
More useless spending of tax money is NOT the way to fix this city.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:45 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,160 times
well, Dick's Sporting Goods opens today...how long until one or two of the smaller local sporting stores shuts down? I give it six months maybe. Regardless, I'm glad they are here!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:32 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Maybe north west Greenville needs some good old fashioned gentrification. That area is very close to downtown. I've seen it done before and it can work wonders for downtown areas. Look at Annapolis, MD. You would not have recognized it 30 years ago.
Are you referring to west of Pitt St, south of the Tar River, and points westward? I wouldn't mind seeing downtown try to claim that area, up to the railroad tracks.

But how would one start a gentrification process there?

Old 09-18-2012, 11:35 AM

So the Visitors Bureau will be building a four-story building. There will be an alleyway there to connect Evans to the Parking deck, to be constructed at the Moseley Lot.

Also, do y'all recall Georgetown Apartments getting razed? That whole block (Evans, Reade, Cotanche, 8th, minus the old Ham's) will be torn down for an upperish scale apartment complex, with retail. A great corner to redevelop.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:40 AM

Here is a baseball stadium HYPOTHETICAL.

With the location being the ONLY variable in this hypothetical, where would you want a minor league baseball park to be built?
  • Dickinson/Pitt/Bonners/Railroad track
  • Dickinson/Ficklen/9th/Evans/10th
  • On the eastern or western corner of the Town Commons
  • Somewhere else

Just curious to everyone's opinion. This isn't for the cost or anything like that. Each one has their perks and pitfalls. I personally like the second option best.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:33 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,160 times
Quote:
Also, do y'all recall Georgetown Apartments getting razed? That whole block (Evans, Reade, Cotanche, 8th, minus the old Ham's) will be torn down for an upperish scale apartment complex, with retail. A great corner to redevelop.
Is this a done deal...if so that would be a huge development for downtown to get things started in the right direction...that area needs to be torn down & something new started..prime location for a new apartment complex / businesses.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Is this a done deal...if so that would be a huge development for downtown to get things started in the right direction...that area needs to be torn down & something new started..prime location for a new apartment complex / businesses.
I don't like saying yes until the first bulldozer is there, but basically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina