U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 AM

3,321 posts, read 5,182,656 times

Advertisements

Sounds like we finally have a construction start date for the 10th Street Connector: December 2014. But that depends on how many people go to court for it. Hopefully we can start sooner!

Officials have projected it will be six months before any offers are presented to landowners.
It will take another six months to negotiate buyouts, agree on a settlement and close on an estate.
An estimated $27 million will go toward right-of-way purchases, with another $22 million set aside for construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 09:56 AM

A strategic alliance formed between 10 Pitt County organizations plans to finalize an agreement today to hire a consulting firm to study the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of achieving sustained economic growth in Greenville. It will identify the city’s infrastructure gaps and measure its readiness and ability to attract jobs.

The list includes East Carolina University, Greenville Utilities Commission, Greenville-Pitt Chamber of Commerce, Pitt Community College, Pitt County Development Commission, Suddenlink, Uptown Greenville and Vidant Health Systems.

This sounds like a good step to make sure we ALL are walking in the same direction, together.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:47 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,039,592 times
Just came from GTAC open house. The three site options presented are: A) The current police parking lot, with police parking moving over to the corner of Pitt and Bonner (with the possibility of converting it to a deck in the future); B) Pitt and Bonner; C) The entire block across from the fire department (Pugh's). Each plan had two options, with variations on parking, etc. They were listed as 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, and 7b. We know of the original two sites for proposal, so I suppose they had considered and rejected two others. I hope the city puts these plans on their website soon for more careful viewing.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Just came from GTAC open house. The three site options presented are: A) The current police parking lot, with police parking moving over to the corner of Pitt and Bonner (with the possibility of converting it to a deck in the future); B) Pitt and Bonner; C) The entire block across from the fire department (Pugh's). Each plan had two options, with variations on parking, etc. They were listed as 5a, 5b, 6a, 6b, 7a, and 7b. We know of the original two sites for proposal, so I suppose they had considered and rejected two others. I hope the city puts these plans on their website soon for more careful viewing.
I was wanting to go. Glad someone already posted about it. I don't see any of the plans on the Greenville website yet.

Using Phil's post as a guide, here is a rough area of the three locations.

Only B lot gives a good OPTION of future rail travel. But B lot looks like it is in BFE, right now. If we are building something this decent/niceish looking, Lot B seems to be hiding it in the closet.

A lot would be beside the new Bankruptcy Court, and help fill in the Reade Circle Corridor.

Something big definitely needs to go into lot C, but I think that is too far away from the 10th Street Connector.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:58 PM

The Teen Center on East 14th Street could be demolished if a tenant isn't found. It isn't being used by the City for a cost-saving measure.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I was wanting to go. Glad someone already posted about it. I don't see any of the plans on the Greenville website yet.

Using Phil's post as a guide, here is a rough area of the three locations.

Only B lot gives a good OPTION of future rail travel. But B lot looks like it is in BFE, right now. If we are building something this decent/niceish looking, Lot B seems to be hiding it in the closet.

A lot would be beside the new Bankruptcy Court, and help fill in the Reade Circle Corridor.

Something big definitely needs to go into lot C, but I think that is too far away from the 10th Street Connector.
With the exception of details, your map looks about like the map they had up tonight. I'm partial to lot A for the GTAC because it too can be hooked up to rail. The Pugh's location is the most spacious and more central, but future possible train connection would be very difficult.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
With the exception of details, your map looks about like the map they had up tonight. I'm partial to lot A for the GTAC because it too can be hooked up to rail. The Pugh's location is the most spacious and more central, but future possible train connection would be very difficult.
I am with you on Lot A. AS LONG as they plan/buy up the land from Pitt St and Bonner Lane, to the railroad. For the anticipation/hopeful connection of a railroad. I rather plan for it, and build around it, than not plan (which the city has a habit of), and then the need arising. But not being able to do it.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I am with you on Lot A. AS LONG as they plan/buy up the land from Pitt St and Bonner Lane, to the railroad. For the anticipation/hopeful connection of a railroad. I rather plan for it, and build around it, than not plan (which the city has a habit of), and then the need arising. But not being able to do it.
Theoretically, Bonner (or is it Bonners?) Lane itself can be converted to a rail track (with Bonner being re-created feet away to maintain the grid), if they leave enough buffer zone from GTAC down to the current tracks; but I hope they'll plan better than that. I know there are apartments right next to Bonner, but train service could be a generation away; by then those public housing apartments will be thirty years old. One can imagine the condition they'll be in by then, probably worth demolishing. If that cute little church stays maintained, it could be moved to a new location if necessary.

I think maybe the Pugh's location (5th St. half anyway) could be a good location for a municipal employee lot/deck due to the proximity to city hall, the police and fire. The police could park on the 5th St. side or the bottom level (depending on lot or deck) and enter/exit on 5th and Pitt sides, while all others use Greene and an alley way on the other side; reason being to keep regular parking traffic separate from emergency traffic. While I'm not a fan of parking lots and decks on the main streets, it's difficult to attract business development across the street from a fire department. No decent hotel would ever locate there. If no train service would ever be possible I'd vote on GTAC being across from the FD because the occasional sirens wouldn't be a problem for a bus station. (For the record, the renderings on this lot had the buses on the 4th St. side for this possible GTAC location, so not to interfere with the FD.)

Old 10-04-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Theoretically, Bonner (or is it Bonners?) Lane itself can be converted to a rail track (with Bonner being re-created feet away to maintain the grid), if they leave enough buffer zone from GTAC down to the current tracks; but I hope they'll plan better than that. I know there are apartments right next to Bonner, but train service could be a generation away; by then those public housing apartments will be thirty years old. One can imagine the condition they'll be in by then, probably worth demolishing. If that cute little church stays maintained, it could be moved to a new location if necessary.

I think maybe the Pugh's location (5th St. half anyway) could be a good location for a municipal employee lot/deck due to the proximity to city hall, the police and fire. The police could park on the 5th St. side or the bottom level (depending on lot or deck) and enter/exit on 5th and Pitt sides, while all others use Greene and an alley way on the other side; reason being to keep regular parking traffic separate from emergency traffic. While I'm not a fan of parking lots and decks on the main streets, it's difficult to attract business development across the street from a fire department. No decent hotel would ever locate there. If no train service would ever be possible I'd vote on GTAC being across from the FD because the occasional sirens wouldn't be a problem for a bus station. (For the record, the renderings on this lot had the buses on the 4th St. side for this possible GTAC location, so not to interfere with the FD.)
I agree with 5th St location, IF there was ZERO chance of ever getting a train. But I honestly think there is a small chance. Not anytime soon, but it definitely should be planned for. At worst, the right-of-way for the tracks could be built upon if the chance goes to zero. It is a heck of a lot harder to clear land for a track, instead (and that wouldn't be possible on 5th St.).

Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 PM

21 posts, read 27,400 times
Anything new??? This page has been slowly dying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina