U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 07:50 AM

844 posts, read 1,045,540 times

Advertisements

story today in the Reflector about the Capital Investment Grants....I personally in favor of this idea & think it might help bring added businesses here. I don't have a login so someone else will have to post the text.

The Daily Reflector
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 02:56 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,055,368 times
Greenville announced the hiring of Hassan Aden as Chief of Police. He seems to have a strength in patrolling strategies. I certainly hope so. I've felt that's been the weakest area of our policing the last several years.

Deputy Chief Hassan Aden Inducted Into Evidence-Based Policing Hall Of Fame AlexandriaNews

Old 11-01-2012, 07:31 PM

3,295 posts, read 5,464,987 times
Didn't we just hire a new Chief of Police a few months ago or is this a different position?

Old 11-01-2012, 08:13 PM

286 posts, read 554,785 times
Chief left, assistant was promoted to acting chief. Assistant retired effective yesterday.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Didn't we just hire a new Chief of Police a few months ago or is this a different position?
Greenville hired a City Manager from Florida a couple months ago.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:04 PM

3,324 posts, read 5,213,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
Chief left, assistant was promoted to acting chief. Assistant retired effective yesterday.
The Interim Chief was never going to stay long-term. But hopefully this guy can get it more in the right direction quick.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:37 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,014,857 times
City Council purchases old Tobacco plant

Article in Today's Reflector:

Quote:
Severely damaged in a catastrophic fire four years ago, the old Imperial Tobacco plant on Atlantic Avenue moved closer Monday night to rising from the ashes as a reinvented campus, possibly a professional baseball stadium, one Greenville city councilman indicated.

Overgrown with weeds, littered with debris and seeping with chemical waste, the $1 million site was bought by the Greenville City Council for $1 Monday in an agreement that will use federal funds leveraged through the Environmental Protection Agency to clean up the property homeless people in recent years have sought for shelter.

Pressed to meet a Nov. 19 deadline for the EPA’s Brownfield grant, the council unanimously voted to move forward with redeveloping the land, despite some resistance from council members Marion Blackburn and Calvin Mercer, who felt the project first should be reviewed by the Greenville Redevelopment Commission before a final decision is made.

“If we don’t do something now, nothing will ever get done,” Greenville Mayor Allen Thomas said, with much of the council sharing similar thoughts. “Three years from now, it will be sitting there — a cesspool contaminated with PCP, arsenic and gasoline.”

While it is unknown for what use the land would be repurposed, the plan is to acquire the deed for the former tobacco site from its owner Earl Wilson, clear the property with the use of EPA funding and market the finished product to a private investor. Mercer offered the idea of a minor league baseball stadium.

Under the terms of the agreement, the city, if it receives grant funding, will clean up the property and either return ownership to Wilson or buy the land based off its appraised value, which in October was assessed at $1 million.

Environmental cleanup is expected to cost approximately $451,605, Greenville Economic Development officer Carl Rees said.

Built in the early 1900s to dry, cut and sell tobacco, the campus nearly burned to the ground in April 2008. Due to severe structural damage, the factory’s largest building, along with a water tower and a smoke stack, were ordered to be demolished.

Since then, various city agencies have attempted to work to with Wilson to correct a long list of code violations, with the chief compliant being onsite petroleum contamination. Wilson has claimed financial hardship as the reason he is unable to bring the land up to standard.

Rees said that since the contamination sits on at least two separate parcels, the city is eligible to apply for two separate cleanup grants of $200,000 each.

With 20 percent of the cost of the grants shared with Wilson, the total grant budget will be $480,000 and will include funding for removal of the large concrete slabs, debris, two large fuel tanks, two above-ground petroleum tanks and contaminated soil at various locations on the property.

Rees said staff intends to work with Wilson to receive the property no later than Nov. 15 and expects to be awarded a three-year grant from the EPA as early as June. Rees anticipated it to take 18 months to complete the project.

Old 11-06-2012, 09:38 AM

3,295 posts, read 5,464,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
City Council purchases old Tobacco plant

Article in Today's Reflector:
Sounds good to me, if all works out well.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:19 AM

I saw this in Mercer's newsletter. I'm all for it, except for the possibility of returning the site to Earl Wilson. The city did him a solid by taking the albatross off his back. That is more than enough for him.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:26 PM

3,324 posts, read 5,213,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
I saw this in Mercer's newsletter. I'm all for it, except for the possibility of returning the site to Earl Wilson. The city did him a solid by taking the albatross off his back. That is more than enough for him.
I agree. I don't know how much he has put into it, or bought it for. But Greenville is actually doing the work (hopefully). No need to pay him 1mil for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina