Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 01:33 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,763,824 times

Advertisements

Most of these "new jobs" in restaurants are just replacing the ones lost in places like O'Charley's, Schlotzsky's, etc. Bringing jobs to a town is opening or expanding a factory or an office, setting up headquarters, etc. These jobs bring people to stay in a town, rather than providing funds for college students and people with 2nd jobs. The part-time jobs are helpful and serve a purpose, but they don't make a marked improvement to the health and wealth of a town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 03:56 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Most of these "new jobs" in restaurants are just replacing the ones lost in places like O'Charley's, Schlotzsky's, etc. Bringing jobs to a town is opening or expanding a factory or an office, setting up headquarters, etc. These jobs bring people to stay in a town, rather than providing funds for college students and people with 2nd jobs. The part-time jobs are helpful and serve a purpose, but they don't make a marked improvement to the health and wealth of a town.
I agree. New "good" restaurants or other frill businesses are fun, but they would still come if we got a good high-quality business. Like another DSM or financial services company.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:22 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I agree. New "good" restaurants or other frill businesses are fun, but they would still come if we got a good high-quality business. Like another DSM or financial services company.
You all should know my stance on the city attracting new restaurants rather than companies so there's no need to reiterate it. I have a proposal to attract businesses to downtown, make it a tax-free zone to companies hiring a certain amount of workers. NC is already a pretty attractive place for companies but they mostly go to the big three (Charlotte, Triad, Triangle) so the city needs to present itself as a city with a qualified workforce (which it does), a good quality of life (I much as I hated living there, the city does have a pretty good quality of life), and the most important to companies, low cost of operating. If you throw a tax-break for five-years or so on top of that, Greenville attract companies. Some may say "we need all the revenue we can get, so we can't afford to give companies a tax break" and while that may be true, in the long run the tax-breaks will pay off and in the short run that's more jobs in the city which means more tax-reciptents which means more revenue.

And not to sound like a pessimist, but I want to know before the city spends the money for the "intermodal transit center" or whatever its called, what exactly will be going there that makes it so special? I'm all for spending money if it actually is for the greater good of the city, but this is really just sounding like a bus stop. So is it a bus stop with extra capacity or what? I'd rather the city spend a few hundred thousand on adding bike lanes around uptown (if the roads are capable of handling them) and spend a few million on small business loans, and whatever else is necessary to make uptown better.

But if the city really is feeling as if this intermodal center needs to be built, how about build it in a smart way. The renderings I saw didn't seem like they could be worth $10 million or whatever the place is going to cost. So if we're going to build this, at least build it right. Cancel the parking garage, build a intermodal center that at the bottom houses buses so people can get on there, put some retail options on the side, make another entrance where people can drive into the parking garage that will be three levels high (on top of the bus station) so a total of four levels. I'd draw up the renderings myself if I had my Windows computer near.

Just found a example of how I imagine our intermodal center/parking garage would be, of course not with this price tag nor architecture but the overall idea of mixing the intermodal center and garage together. Plus this will also make more people want to use public transportation since they know they can drop their car off at the garage and take the bus to work.

Intermodal Facility

Last edited by BMORE; 12-22-2012 at 09:47 PM..

Old 12-22-2012, 09:30 PM

286 posts, read 653,075 times
It is a large bus station, not much more. The difference? I assume maybe you can pee while you're waiting for the bus, which you can't do right now at the transfer stop on Cotanche (at least not legally, anyway).

However I'm not sure the ability to legally take a wiz is worth $6 mil.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:39 PM

895 posts, read 2,095,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Check it out, I quoted myself. I should have zoomed the map out a bit in Rolling Meadows instead of just using City-data's strict definition of Rolling Meadows. Rolling Meadows is smack dab in the middle of the Chicago Metro area. But Bentonville is literally an island unto it's self. There is another smaller burg nearby but between the two of them, it doesn't amount to Greenville and Winterville combined. It doesn't even amount to Greenvile by it's self.
If you dig a bit, you find that Bentonville is part of a metro area of close to 450,000. With an interstate and numerous international companies having offices there, Bentonville seems to have a leg up on most cities double and triple its size. Add to that 8% job growth... It sounds pretty dynamic.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
If you dig a bit, you find that Bentonville is part of a metro area of close to 450,000. With an interstate and numerous international companies having offices there, Bentonville seems to have a leg up on most cities double and triple its size. Add to that 8% job growth... It sounds pretty dynamic.
Isn't Bentonville where Walmart is HQ'd? I've visited the area (specifically Rogers) a while back (like 2007/2008) and it was booming there but still not my taste to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
It is a large bus station, not much more. The difference? I assume maybe you can pee while you're waiting for the bus, which you can't do right now at the transfer stop on Cotanche (at least not legally, anyway).

However I'm not sure the ability to legally take a wiz is worth $6 mil.
Ridiculous. I want more if its going to be built. Is the Amtrak bus service going to be there as well?

Old 12-22-2012, 10:49 PM

286 posts, read 653,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Is the Amtrak bus service going to be there as well?
Yes. And Greyhound I assume. But those are still buses... and it doesn't take $6 mil to build a shelter between a couple of them.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
Yes. And Greyhound I assume. But those are still buses... and it doesn't take $6 mil to build a shelter between a couple of them.
Agreed. I remember seeing a rendering of the building a few pages back and it didn't even seem like a new building if I remember correctly.

Just looked back a few pages and the here's the link for the comment that shows the renderings:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/27224483-post2504.html

Personally, I believe if we're going to pay $6 million for a bus station that may be rarely used, I want the site 5 location. Save site 7 for developers in the future.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Agreed. I remember seeing a rendering of the building a few pages back and it didn't even seem like a new building if I remember correctly.

Just looked back a few pages and the here's the link for the comment that shows the renderings:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/27224483-post2504.html

Personally, I believe if we're going to pay $6 million for a bus station that may be rarely used, I want the site 5 location. Save site 7 for developers in the future.
Site 5 was chosen. The City of Greenville is on the hook for only 10% of the cost of the project, so close to $1M. The state will also pay 10%. The rest will federally funded, and Greenville will also receive operational funds when the facility opens.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:17 PM

Greenville Spends $90,000 On Firm To Market City

Greenville hires marketing firm.

Also: Atlantic St. has been blocked off to traffic. Hopefully the Imperial Warehouse cleanup will begin within the next few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina