U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 AM

910 posts, read 1,171,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I know Vancouver, CN is a international city but we could learn from their model when it comes to development, discourage developers from building low-rise apartment complexes around the city but instead attempt to have them begin building in downtown and surrounding areas with mid-rise buildings. I don't know about student housing when it comes to what I propose, but regular developments would be forced to build up in the downtown area. Also this would prevent the massive sprawl that Greenville is having.

Greenville's actually nowhere near the worst when it comes to sprawl. Compare it to Burlington which is physically as large as Greenville but with half the population. The challenge is there's few external pressures to contain sprawl like restrictive annexing laws or lack of open space so it's good to see them trying to redirect development back toward downtown. Definitely agree that more mid-rise housing and apartments for students like the one on 1st St. would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 09:54 AM

145 posts, read 222,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Exactly my thoughts, I've felt a hell of a lot more optimistic about Greenville's future under this new mayor. I'm not sure if its him or not but he's def. getting the credit from me. If we can't lure a HQ, we could at least build a center where startup companies can locate and possibly grow into companies.

Greenville is a city of health and education, so we could try to brand ourselves that way to attract large pharmaceutical companies or even have a few companies grow up from here. We (meaning city council) don't need to wrap our heads around retail developments, they'll come as more people come so firstly attract the large well paying jobs, then retailers will come that are far better than the ones we currently have. When it comes to downtown, I'd like the public-private approach when it comes to development meaning a developer will collaborate with the city on improving the area rather its by building garages, hotels, or even parks. It's far more effective rather than waiting on developers to come.

One thing for sure, it would be nice if ECU (or I guess the UNC school system) were to build a school similar to the NC School of Sciences and Mathematics but instead have it in a Health school type of way. I'd love for it to be in the West End once the area begins seriously revitalizing. I know Vancouver, CN is a international city but we could learn from their model when it comes to development, discourage developers from building low-rise apartment complexes around the city but instead attempt to have them begin building in downtown and surrounding areas with mid-rise buildings. I don't know about student housing when it comes to what I propose, but regular developments would be forced to build up in the downtown area. Also this would prevent the massive sprawl that Greenville is having.
Yeah, I defiantly think its a big plus to have ECU and Vidant Health in Greenville because that is what will bring good jobs. If only ECU would build some kind of science college and maybe even a technology college of some sort. Look at how many companies are in Research Triangle Park in Raleigh, technology jobs are going to be in high demand in a couple of years and even right now so that would be a great way to get new companies here. I think Greenville is sort of running out of space to expand so now they are forced to have to start redeveloping areas of the city that are really run down. I am sort of confused though as to why downtown is now called "uptown". It doesn't really make much sense to me. I guess it's supposed to get people thinking that lots of change is happening there now.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:09 AM

910 posts, read 1,171,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
Yeah, I defiantly think its a big plus to have ECU and Vidant Health in Greenville because that is what will bring good jobs. If only ECU would build some kind of science college and maybe even a technology college of some sort.
They created an engineering department a few years back and there's the West Research campus on the old VOA site, granted that's halfway out to Farmville. There's also the Coastal Studies Institute in Manteo they finished building not too long ago. For years they were in the old social services building in downtown Manteo, but the new building is amazing. There's definitely a push at the school to get more into STEM fields.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:24 AM

Anyone know of any warehouses actually in the tobacco warehouse district? I can't seem to find any that aren't either demolished or been painted over or something. I actually found one on street view behind the building someone posted that is across from the library.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:36 AM

1,678 posts, read 2,054,993 times
Quote:
Anyone know of any warehouses actually in the tobacco warehouse district? I can't seem to find any that aren't either demolished or been painted over or something. I actually found one on street view behind the building someone posted that is across from the library.
On Ficklen between Dickinson and 9th:

ECU owns the warehouses on 10th across from the WilcoHess, and there are other warehouses just beyond downtown to its west, but I'm not sure how many of those were actually used for tobacco.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 PM

3,324 posts, read 5,212,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
They created an engineering department a few years back and there's the West Research campus on the old VOA site, granted that's halfway out to Farmville. There's also the Coastal Studies Institute in Manteo they finished building not too long ago. For years they were in the old social services building in downtown Manteo, but the new building is amazing. There's definitely a push at the school to get more into STEM fields.

As you cross the Virginia Dare bridge going towards Roanoke, you can see the campus on your right.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:07 PM

3,294 posts, read 5,464,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
Greenville's actually nowhere near the worst when it comes to sprawl. Compare it to Burlington which is physically as large as Greenville but with half the population. The challenge is there's few external pressures to contain sprawl like restrictive annexing laws or lack of open space so it's good to see them trying to redirect development back toward downtown. Definitely agree that more mid-rise housing and apartments for students like the one on 1st St. would help.
I can agree our sprawl could be far worse, but it's still pretty sprawled here and I believe that the city currently encourages for developers to build sprawling developments as opposed to dense-developments. The next thing I'd love for the city after downtown revitalization was in full effect, is trying to attract some sort of entertainment options rather its a better fun park type of development, a small zoo, or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post

As you cross the Virginia Dare bridge going towards Roanoke, you can see the campus on your right.
ECU built that? That's a really nice looking building, is love for something less expansive but taller similar to that in Downtown Greenville.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
On Ficklen between Dickinson and 9th:

ECU owns the warehouses on 10th across from the WilcoHess, and there are other warehouses just beyond downtown to its west, but I'm not sure how many of those were actually used for tobacco.
Wow! I didn't even know one that big was still left in Greenville! That would be great for apartments/loft housing. I was wondering why that area was going to be called the "tobacco warehouse district" when I thought most of them are gone.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:10 PM

286 posts, read 554,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
On Ficklen between Dickinson and 9th
There is actually a company housed in that building. However I do wish they'd keep the place up a little better.

U.N.X. INCORPORATED Laundry, Warewashing and Housekeeping Cleaning Chemicals

Old 01-14-2013, 12:11 PM

3,294 posts, read 5,464,987 times
Quote:
Yeah, I defiantly think its a big plus to have ECU and Vidant Health in Greenville because that is what will bring good jobs. If only ECU would build some kind of science college and maybe even a technology college of some sort. Look at how many companies are in Research Triangle Park in Raleigh, technology jobs are going to be in high demand in a couple of years and even right now so that would be a great way to get new companies here. I think Greenville is sort of running out of space to expand so now they are forced to have to start redeveloping areas of the city that are really run down. I am sort of confused though as to why downtown is now called "uptown". It doesn't really make much sense to me. I guess it's supposed to get people thinking that lots of change is happening there now.
Yeah pretty much the city is trying to rebrand downtown as uptown but it hasn't worked very successfully. I call it uptown from time to time but mostly downtown.

Quote:
Wow! I didn't even know one that big was still left in Greenville! That would be great for apartments/loft housing. I was wondering why that area was going to be called the "tobacco warehouse district" when I thought most of them are gone.
Yeah I've always wanted that building developed into lofts although I'm not sure how it looks in the interior. The West End is the only district with a warehouse or two and both seem severely underutilized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina