Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 12:14 PM

286 posts, read 652,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Yeah pretty much the city is trying to rebrand downtown as uptown but it hasn't worked very successfully. I call it uptown from time to time but mostly downtown.
I work "downtown." Everyone in the building says they work "downtown." I've only ever heard "uptown" when referring to the development organization named as such.

Saying "I'm heading uptown to my office" sounds moronic unless you are a broadway performer.

edit: come to think of it broadway doesn't even apply there. I'm not sure what does.
So, conclusion - no one says "uptown." It's not a natural phrase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 12:16 PM

145 posts, read 266,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
There is actually a company housed in that building. However I do wish they'd keep the place up a little better.

U.N.X. INCORPORATED Laundry, Warewashing and Housekeeping Cleaning Chemicals
Well, maybe one day someone will buy the building from them and use it for something else. It's a waste of such a historic building for Greenville.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:34 PM

1,809 posts, read 2,761,461 times
Not sure how much UNX uses the pictured part of that building. I've seen doors open and people around from the corner of Ficklen/9th, down Washington, and around over to 8th, but I've never seen ANY activity or lighting in the taller warehouse part. When the intermodal facility idea first came up, the city stated UNX said they'd be willing to move if the city or a developer ever wanted the property. They would, of course, require a worthwhile payment to do so. I would imagine it would costs well, well in excess of $10MM to pay UNX to move, clean it, and total rehab the entire Ficklen warehouse.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:39 PM

910 posts, read 1,318,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I can agree our sprawl could be far worse, but it's still pretty sprawled here and I believe that the city currently encourages for developers to build sprawling developments as opposed to dense-developments.

Yeah, the past decade and change has brought a lot sprawl developments, but at least it seems like there's a few people pushing for more development downtown. Compare again with Burlington, which actually had about the same population as Greenville 20 years ago, where they've basically given up on their downtown almost entirely and are still pushing sprawl developments to entice workers from Greensboro and RTP.

Quote:
ECU built that? That's a really nice looking building, is love for something less expansive but taller similar to that in Downtown Greenville.
The CSI is a joint project between the UNC system, ECU, and a few other schools, but ECU's name is all over it and they developed the proposal back in 2000 in order to conduct different research than what was being done by UNC-W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
As you cross the Virginia Dare bridge going towards Roanoke, you can see the campus on your right.
Actually it's set back in the marsh, so you can't really see it from the bridge.

Last edited by J. Pederman; 01-14-2013 at 01:51 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 02:42 PM

1,809 posts, read 2,761,461 times
Fun Things to Do in Greenville, North Carolina | USA Today

Greenville write up in USA Today's travel section.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:03 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
There is actually a company housed in that building. However I do wish they'd keep the place up a little better.

U.N.X. INCORPORATED Laundry, Warewashing and Housekeeping Cleaning Chemicals
I wonder how easy it would be to clean up that warehouse for residential use. Laundry companies have some nasty chemicals, but I do not know what that building is actually used for.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 PM

The building permit for the Federal Courthouse was submitted this week. Almost $4.8 million.

Also, what is St. James UMC doing? They are about to have a big build over there. 3.4 mill worth.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:42 PM

More info on the parking deck/office building.
  • 250-space parking deck
  • Office tenants are expected to create demand for as many as 40 parking spaces during daytime hours
  • The plan is for the visitor center to be constructed first, with the hope to start site work for the parking deck, estimated to take three to four months, when the official building “super-structure” is up.
  • The parking deck, to be pre-cast and transported downtown, will take four to six weeks to actually build.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:04 PM

So the proposed roundabout on 5th Street has one hurdle. The car wash is needing to be purchased. The city wants to do a land swap with one it owns at 5th and Sheppard.
_________
I reallly hope the city puts some strings in the land swap, coaxing the car wash to clean up its image. That is a VERY ghetto looking business on a major thoroughfare. It is one thing if it looks like Adam's Car Wash, its another if it looks like what it is now.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:12 PM

A new billboard is going up on Evans, north of Arlington. Sadly, I wish the city would ban them. They are ugly, and unneeded in the city, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina