U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 AM

5,417 posts, read 5,405,023 times

Advertisements

Now that is nice to see! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,189,357 times
What do people think about the ‘three-strike’ housing registry? It brings accountability to it all. The Council will consider a violation-based rental registry for west Greenville and the Tar River-university neighborhood. After two or more housing code violations, properties will be subject to inspection. If a landlords get three strikes, or their property ranks in the top 10 percent of Greenville sites for crime and disorder, they must receive a permit to continue to lease homes, according to early proposals of the plan.
I think it is a good idea. Up in the air if it actually will work. I REALLY like the "...or their property ranks in the top 10 percent of Greenville...." For the most part (by the current conditions), renters in both areas don't care about the surrounding neighborhood. Students will live in the area for only a few years. It would be impossible for the government to decide who should live there, nor should they have that ability. But landlords do have that decision.

I can see a drop in the rental rate, which could lead to selling of the homes. Hopefully that will bring families in to buy the properties and either tear them down, or rehab them.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
The building permit for the Federal Courthouse was submitted this week. Almost $4.8 million.

Also, what is St. James UMC doing? They are about to have a big build over there. 3.4 mill worth.
They have a big construction sign out in front of the Church. It looks like a large fellowship hall/classrooms/meeting rooms type building.

I am not sure where it will be built as of now. St. James owns the block in between the church and 5th Street. It would be nice to see something architecturally appealing on that block. So it makes 5th St look even better.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:30 AM

It isn't a "big" thing, like with some of the stuff here, but it looks like the 4th floor of the ECU ECHI is receiving equipment/material. It is a big deal because the fourth floor is where cardiac/metabolic research will be conducted.

So hopefully new faculty members could be recruited here, and maybe have a worthwhile discovery or two.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:54 PM

910 posts, read 1,167,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I think it is a good idea. Up in the air if it actually will work. I REALLY like the "...or their property ranks in the top 10 percent of Greenville...." For the most part (by the current conditions), renters in both areas don't care about the surrounding neighborhood. Students will live in the area for only a few years. It would be impossible for the government to decide who should live there, nor should they have that ability. But landlords do have that decision.

I can see a drop in the rental rate, which could lead to selling of the homes. Hopefully that will bring families in to buy the properties and either tear them down, or rehab them.
I'm leery of any tool that can be used to arbitrarily reduce the rental stock especially in a primarily service-based city economy such as Greenville's. Getting rid of the worst of the worst slums is fine, for both crime and safety reasons especially student slums, but if they're going to use it to reduce stock or attract absentee landlords and ultimately jack up rental prices, it's a bad idea.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:25 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,042,932 times
http://www.hpo.ncdcr.gov/nr/PT2063.pdf

Rather lengthy PDF file, dated 2006, apparently a registration form to put downtown Greenville's west end on the National Register of Historic Places. Pages 10-21 list most of the numerous businesses that have been down there in more than the last 100 years. If you've got time on your hands, you might find some of this to be of interest in terms of what was and what possibly could be.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
I'm leery of any tool that can be used to arbitrarily reduce the rental stock especially in a primarily service-based city economy such as Greenville's. Getting rid of the worst of the worst slums is fine, for both crime and safety reasons especially student slums, but if they're going to use it to reduce stock or attract absentee landlords and ultimately jack up rental prices, it's a bad idea.
What is the problem in reducing the rental supply? If supply is reduced, then demand (and better quality residents) would come.

I personally think they should clear out the houses near the Tar River. They never completely recovered from Hurricane Floyd. Just look at the FEMA flood plain. Everything north of Avery St and Willow St should become a park.

Light Blue - Tar River
Pink - Floodway
Darker Blue - AE 100-Year Flood Base Flood Elevation (BFE) is determined
Green - X-Shaded is the 500 year flood

That would reduce the demand, which should help increase the value of the other rental houses.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:34 PM

839 posts, read 1,040,195 times
So I just saw that old hotel on memorial near the post office that always had the land that would flood with a lot of rain has been demolished. Good riddence. I didn't know it was still in business, guess it was the 'a few hours' type of business if I had to guess. Anyone know of what might be going there? Bare land is better than that place was.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:18 PM

New pic of uptown

Old 01-18-2013, 03:52 PM

21 posts, read 27,414 times
^^^ hopefully in the future they can turn all them parking lots into parking garages and mix used developments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina