U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-24-2013, 02:47 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,078 posts, read 5,044,801 times
Reputation: 1160

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
New Radar Sensors Help Greenville Traffic Flow Better

Greenville is using a new traffic flow system at a couple of intersections.
Some of the pavement sensors at Arlington and Evans were broken so it made sense to replace that system with the newer style. I suspect the other location was in need of replacement too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-24-2013, 06:12 PM
 
3,323 posts, read 5,188,387 times
Reputation: 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Some of the pavement sensors at Arlington and Evans were broken so it made sense to replace that system with the newer style. I suspect the other location was in need of replacement too.
We REALLLLY need a synchronized traffic lights on Memorial, Greenville Blvd (all the way to 264 bypass), and Stantonsburg, to begin with.

We also need part-time operation on the majority of our lights. There is no need for the traffic light in front of the Mall to be in normal operation at midnight. There are dozens of intersections, that need to go to this part-time operation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 PM
 
286 posts, read 553,038 times
Reputation: 172
http://www.reflector.com/news/parking-loophole-frustrates-residents-1818749

Pure badass. University neighborhood residents are sticking it to the man by parking their Jeeps and trucks on 4 blocks, thus lifting them off the ground and getting around, I assume, the asinine parking regulation that says you can't park in the yard. Love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2013, 08:43 PM
 
3,323 posts, read 5,188,387 times
Reputation: 2359
Look out for Sunday's TDR. There is a write up about the effort to study/bring a Minor League team here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 06:17 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,078 posts, read 5,044,801 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
We REALLLLY need a synchronized traffic lights on Memorial, Greenville Blvd (all the way to 264 bypass), and Stantonsburg, to begin with.

We also need part-time operation on the majority of our lights. There is no need for the traffic light in front of the Mall to be in normal operation at midnight. There are dozens of intersections, that need to go to this part-time operation.
I think even if they were to sync the lights there is a huge problem with that. The problem is that the lights can only be sync'd in one direction. If they are sync'd to favor east bound Arlington traffic then all other directions of traffic would be buggered up. It would also mean that you are guaranteed to go from red light to red light when traveling westbound on Arlington.

It's not that the lights need to be sync'd, it's that they need more lanes on certain roads. Another huge problem is getting drivers to go when the light turns green. It's way too often that drivers just sit there when the light changes. I guess they're of the opinion that as long as they get through the light, then that's all they're worried about. If I'm at the front of the line when the light turns green, I do a quick scan to make sure everybody is stopped/stopping and then I go. Too many people just sit there and wait until every other vehicle has come to a complete stop before they consider going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 PM
 
3,323 posts, read 5,188,387 times
Reputation: 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I think even if they were to sync the lights there is a huge problem with that. The problem is that the lights can only be sync'd in one direction. If they are sync'd to favor east bound Arlington traffic then all other directions of traffic would be buggered up. It would also mean that you are guaranteed to go from red light to red light when traveling westbound on Arlington.

It's not that the lights need to be sync'd, it's that they need more lanes on certain roads. Another huge problem is getting drivers to go when the light turns green. It's way too often that drivers just sit there when the light changes. I guess they're of the opinion that as long as they get through the light, then that's all they're worried about. If I'm at the front of the line when the light turns green, I do a quick scan to make sure everybody is stopped/stopping and then I go. Too many people just sit there and wait until every other vehicle has come to a complete stop before they consider going.
The three major areas of employment are the hospital, ECU main campus, and the industrial areas. If they could sync them going to those areas during the morning, or away in the afternoon.

Plus, it is REAL annoying to hit every light on Greenville Blvd north of NCC, going to 264 bypass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
2,078 posts, read 5,044,801 times
Reputation: 1160
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
The three major areas of employment are the hospital, ECU main campus, and the industrial areas. If they could sync them going to those areas during the morning, or away in the afternoon.

Plus, it is REAL annoying to hit every light on Greenville Blvd north of NCC, going to 264 bypass.
So you're talking about trying to sync a whole lot of roads? Good luck getting people to drive the speed limit at any time of day. What is NCC and where is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 05:54 PM
 
451 posts, read 1,688,870 times
Reputation: 104
To best time traffic signals, a process optimization algorithm can be used to maximize green time along busier routes. However, no solution is going to please everyone, and for certain routes, you can't do too much to help because streets aren't laid out in a perfect grid pattern.

I also agree with Richard Martin, you can't factor in people's driving habits into an optimization process.

I would like to see Evans/Old Tar Road widened where needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 06:01 PM
 
1,674 posts, read 2,042,448 times
Reputation: 1074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithuania View Post
I would like to see Evans/Old Tar Road widened where needed.
That is in the works, from Greenville Blvd. down to Worthington Rd. I don't know the timetable on this project though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 PM
 
11 posts, read 21,552 times
Reputation: 10
The Bankruptcy Court on Reade Circle is under construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top