U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2013, 11:58 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,183,240 times

Advertisements

From todays TDR:

Housing in Town Common vision

Consultant joins development effort
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,433,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
East Carolina is in the process of building again, on the Health Sciences campus: a Women and Children’s Clinic Facility.

It will be approximately $72 million building with 140,000sqft. That would make it larger than the Family Medicine Center (112k sqft), but smaller than Ross Hall (188k sqft).

The reasoning is to consolidate many services into one location. It also will create 900 space parking facility.
Shooting from the hip, using the master plan as a guide, I think the location will be between ECHI and the Family Medicine Center. Assuming the parking facility means parking deck, there is paved parking in the center of all of these buildings.

The Master Plan calls for an "Ambulatory Clinics Building" with 194,000 sqft and 5 stories. So that is similar. The parking deck mentioned in the master plan is a 4-story parking deck, containing 700 spaces. Again a similar statement.

Needless to say, it is a great thing to see good construction here and everywhere
Greenville is starting to love parking garages. But besides that, why is this building so expensive? $72 million is a pretty hefty price tag.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Greenville is starting to love parking garages. But besides that, why is this building so expensive? $72 million is a pretty hefty price tag.
I think parking garages are a sign of a growing city. It says we no longer can build out, and have to build up instead. Faculty, staff, and student parking is already pretty tight over there. Plus add in all of the hospital staff, patients, visitors, etc. There is a need now.

I don't know of any specifics, but medical technology is expensive. A lot of the stuff in the Brody and Pediatric Outpatient clinics are old and need replacing. The project would be financed from indebtedness to be repaid from a combination of ECU Physicians receipts and parking receipts. So this project isn't being paid for by the state at all (directly). It is a Non-Appropriated Capital Improvements Project, just like residence halls.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 PM

Also, be on the lookout for talks about a "Medical Research Park". Unsure of any more details, outside of the city wanting to do it within 3 years.

It will be interesting to see if this comes to fruition.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:53 PM

145 posts, read 221,870 times
Quote:
Also, be on the lookout for talks about a "Medical Research Park". Unsure of any more details, outside of the city wanting to do it within 3 years.

It will be interesting to see if this comes to fruition.
Dang Bojangles! I think you have pretty much covered all of the new future/proposed/in development projects for the next two years! Wow, If Greenville turns out to be anything like all you posted it looks like downtown will be the new place to be! I am starting to see major development downtown! I am just shocked at how much is going on! It finally looks like the city has finally figured out how they want downtown to be and it looks mighty fine. I only wish that we could see more private developments and all those old rundown buildings demolished and new buildings along evans street and that area. Not all of them just the ones that are really ugly and a eyesore. I completely agree that the visitor center should have been on the corner of evans and not hidden from view.

Now, i was thinking. Don't you think that the 10th street connector should have some type of exit ramp sort of thing so that people can go from 10th to Dickinson since those are two main roads? I can't seem to figure out how they are going to be able to get onto Dickinson. I mean I guess they could ride down the streets before u get to the bridge but it seems like they would need to make some improvements to the surrounding roads for that.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 AM

872 posts, read 1,717,013 times
MrBojangles- How many of the proposals are already budgeted government or education projects versus planners envisioning future investment projects with private funds? Obviously, projects like the Dream Park and a Courthouse or government/ public projects, but what about other projects like those depicted along the waterfront. It wasn't long ago that I saw a local government spend around 100,000 to develop a plan where I live for a large shopping area that was in decline. It was a great plane with great mixed use concepts and it would be a substantial boost to the tax base of the area- with the one problem being that almost all the property was privately held, and the owner had different visions (or really, no vision).

Old 01-31-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
MrBojangles- How many of the proposals are already budgeted government or education projects versus planners envisioning future investment projects with private funds? Obviously, projects like the Dream Park and a Courthouse or government/ public projects, but what about other projects like those depicted along the waterfront. It wasn't long ago that I saw a local government spend around 100,000 to develop a plan where I live for a large shopping area that was in decline. It was a great plane with great mixed use concepts and it would be a substantial boost to the tax base of the area- with the one problem being that almost all the property was privately held, and the owner had different visions (or really, no vision).
I am just spitballing here, so take this post FWIW. I believe if the Town Commons receives major redevelopment (i.e. buildings etc), then it will be public-private. The city creates the condition to allow smart private development to occur.

Imperial Tobacco is currently receiving federal Brownfield money. Again, I see the city prepping the land, which would allow good development to occur.

I think Uptown Theater is all private money, as of now.

The potential redevelopment site at Reade/Cotanche/Evans is all private. But the city is streetscaping Evans, right beside that lot.

For a city like Greenville, in my opinion, there is a chicken-and-egg issue when dealing with development cost. Who wants a business/investment where everything looks dilapidated? It has to start somewhere, and it is the city.

Now the key for the local government is trying to multiply their money, by pulling in state, federal or private funds. Which seems like what they are doing. For example, 10th St connector uses local/state/federal money. The CVB building will have public offices on the lower floors, with private development on the upper floors. So instead of a 1 or 2 story building, we'll have a 3 to 4 story building. That's an increase in the tax base, it looks good, and potentially cost less.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 PM

872 posts, read 1,717,013 times
Quote:

For a city like Greenville, in my opinion, there is a chicken-and-egg issue when dealing with development cost. Who wants a business/investment where everything looks dilapidated? It has to start somewhere, and it is the city.
Good point that many can't seem to grasp.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:16 PM

Anyone a fan of an official Neighborhood map?
http://www.greenvillenc.gov/uploaded...cMap%2010).pdf

Plus add in the Historical Districts

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/uploaded...ties%20Map.pdf

Kind of neat to see how borders fit together.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:21 PM

City leaders hope to give Town Common park a makeover | News - WCTI NewsChannel 12
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina