U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,042,551 times

Advertisements

I just checked out Kinston's stats here at CityData and Kinston is a dead destination. It's population has fallen 8.6% over the last 11 years. They're down to 21,642 residents. Or roughly twice the size of Winterville (9,302). There is no way in the world that Kinston will ever convince the state that a Interstate highway can be justified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 AM

910 posts, read 1,167,066 times
They could always get Cherry Point to push for it.

70 really needs to be limited access from Kinston past Goldsboro. It's surprising a road with two military bases on it isn't already.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:46 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,573 times
To hell with Kinston.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM

2,402 posts, read 3,359,858 times
Part of the problem with the Interstate designation is that the State of NC it appears hasnt planned for it.

They build an Interstate type road to Williamston, but dont try and get the designation.

They build an Interstate type road to Greenville but dont try to get the designation.

They are starting to build an interstate type road to replace/upgrade the 70 corridor but dont try to get the designation.

But when they build 795 to Goldsboro, they designate it an Interstate? Weren't those other roads essentially new roads as well.

In reality the DOT needs to be driving this bus...all of these corridors (and 64 can be extended via 17 through E-city to Tidewater) need to be on the books for interstate designation because that designation can bring jobs to those areas. As well I-140 in Wilmington should be connected to the Carolina Byway in North Myrtle and extend North to Jacksonville and eventually encompass the entire 17 corridor.

But where is the plan? Why is it so hard to get anyone to look at a map and see the vast different regions that these roads serve.

The 264 to Interstate status should have happened the day the Wilson bypass was finished.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 AM

910 posts, read 1,167,066 times
64 really had nothing to do with getting an interstate designation. That was Marc Basnight's pet project.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:39 PM

145 posts, read 221,910 times
This makes no sense. Kinston thinks they need to get in the middle of this and they are trying to say that it's not "fair" for Greenville to get 264 made a interstate but they are what, a fourth the size of Greenville? Which makes more sense, the little "city" getting their hywy made a interstate (which will cost the state a LOT more money) because of their global transpark project that isnt working or pretty much the biggest city in ENC that has the best hospital in ENC, a university and is still growing despite all the economy problems? I dont think Kinston will be able to prove they need it more. Kinston is just a dying city. They have a lot of work to do before they will need this. Besides, a lot of people go to Raleigh from Greenville and the surrounding counties and 264 is sort of in the middle of ENC.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:51 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,185,093 times
Kinston is on life support, and they are grasping at straws to become relevant again. We have Greenville, plus the little sisters. The little sisters are trying to pull down big sister. The only thing Kinston has going for it is the same thing Dover has going for it: US 70, New Bern, Cherry Point, and Morehead City.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:27 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,185,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Part of the problem with the Interstate designation is that the State of NC it appears hasnt planned for it.

They build an Interstate type road to Williamston, but dont try and get the designation.

They build an Interstate type road to Greenville but dont try to get the designation.

They are starting to build an interstate type road to replace/upgrade the 70 corridor but dont try to get the designation.

But when they build 795 to Goldsboro, they designate it an Interstate? Weren't those other roads essentially new roads as well.

In reality the DOT needs to be driving this bus...all of these corridors (and 64 can be extended via 17 through E-city to Tidewater) need to be on the books for interstate designation because that designation can bring jobs to those areas.
I've mentioned here before, there is a federal corridor/request, wanting to connect Raleigh to Norfolk. Some groups want to use US64, but US264 would benefit more. The largest city on the limited-access US64, Rocky Mount, already has interstate access. Greenville, which is larger (and growing) doesn't.

Quote:
As well I-140 in Wilmington should be connected to the Carolina Byway in North Myrtle and extend North to Jacksonville and eventually encompass the entire 17 corridor.
The Hampstead Bypass is currently in development. It will start on I-140, near where Crooked Pine Road would hypothetically cross over. It would end near Leeward Lane & Sloop Point Loop Road. That is right where Holly Shelter Game Lands come right up to US17. So people would have 8 miles on the "old" US17 to Holly Ridge, or 30 miles to the Jacksonville Loop.

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/US17Ha...native_Map.pdf

But here is a problem, I am not sure how they will handle. A direct line from I-40 in between Rose Hill and Kenansville to the Jacksonville Bypass is 30 miles. So do you spend money making a new 30 mile spur to I-40? Upgrade/build 30 miles on US17, going through Holly Shelter Game Land and Camp Lejeune? Or 30ish miles completing a loop (or almost. Northern Jacksonville looks more rural is the only reason I say this), and navigating around Hofmann Forest and Croatan National Forest, to match up to US17 Bypass, south of New Bern.

There is a feasibility study about Carolina Bays Parkway. South Carolina would extend the parkway five miles north to the state border. This study only goes to Longwood Road, which is at the intersection with US17 at Ocean Ridge Plantation/Golf Course. That would leave a 34 mile straight shot to US76/74 at Leland.
http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/CBP/do...nativesMap.pdf

There is also a US17 Study Report you can look over as well. http://ncdot.gov/projects/us17corrid...udy_Report.pdf
Quote:
But where is the plan? Why is it so hard to get anyone to look at a map and see the vast different regions that these roads serve.

The 264 to Interstate status should have happened the day the Wilson bypass was finished.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:08 PM

2,402 posts, read 3,359,858 times
I know about the projects, thank you for listing them...what I am saying is that building the road is not enough.

Is the Hampstead bypass an extension of I-140 or is it 17 bypass. There is a huge difference in that designation.

I have no idea why the Carolina Byways project isnt further up on the board, it won't be that much money and will be shared with SC...it seems the issue is that the I-74 designation has been decided exactly on the route.

I think 64 AND 264 and eventually 70 should all be interstates. Is the State of NC pushing for that? And if not, why not? The Kinston thing IMO is a non starter, they are just using anything they can to try and get their bypass built, but they are separate issues.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 PM

145 posts, read 221,910 times
Does anyone know when the Greenville Southwest Bypass is going to be started? I remember the head of the ncdot was in Greenville a while back and was wondering if maybe that was one of the things he was here for. I thought last I heard it was going to be started in something like 2020 which it seems like Greenville will really be jammed with traffic by then. I think we already have some pretty bad issues with traffic right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina