U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 11:04 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,362,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
You see, Greenville isn't a "destination" like RDU but I do believe people would come from surrounding towns and cities like Tarboro, Kinston(maybe) Snow Hill, including all of Pitt County if Greenville had a bigger airport. Right now most people have to drive at least 2 hours to RDU but if PGV could support bigger aircraft then people would fly out of here instead. It does offer more convenience and also it offers a smaller less busy airport then RDU. It would be a major selling point for new companies in the industrial district if they had a airport that they could fly their cargo out of instead of driving it to GTP or all the way to RDU. Right now people don't fly out of PGV because its just an extra cost when they could drive but if PGV could accommodate bigger planes then you could skip RDU or Charlotte completely which would save time and money. I believe the current airport would work but it may be cheaper to find a new place to relocate to further outside of town instead of buying up all the houses and moving the water treatment plant. I don't think right now Greenville needs a new airport but I can definitely see the demand for one in maybe 10 or 15 years. I doesn't make sense to have a new terminal without hardly any airlines and since PGV can't support bigger planes that is the reason they aren't attracting more business or new airlines. Also something to think on is that right now because of air traffic Greenville can't build but so high except for a few exceptions near the hospital and so if the plan is to build higher downtown and surrounding areas something will have to change to allow for this because bigger planes coming in over city near tall buildings won't go very well.

I was wondering if anyone knows how big could the planes flying in be after the runway expansion?
PGV needs to re-brand itself....like Eastern Carolina Regional Jetport....something like that. It needs to invest in getting bigger and better. If that means buying up a neighborhood, so be it....happens all the time around airports.

But I think there is a market to be served by PGV, it can be the Eastern Raleigh area airport...if it can get low fares and is easy in and easy out, it can bring folks from Kinston, Tarboro, Washington, etc...as well as even Wilson or Rocky Mount...but it needs to clean up the Memorial Drive area and northern Greenville area for it to succeed. This is really an industrial area anyway and the City should be moving to make it more high tech industrial. It does have some floodplain issues though as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 11:16 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,188,387 times

Sup Dogs is getting a larger deck, with an outdoor bar

Old 02-07-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
PGV needs to re-brand itself....like Eastern Carolina Regional Jetport....something like that. It needs to invest in getting bigger and better. If that means buying up a neighborhood, so be it....happens all the time around airports.

But I think there is a market to be served by PGV, it can be the Eastern Raleigh area airport...if it can get low fares and is easy in and easy out, it can bring folks from Kinston, Tarboro, Washington, etc...as well as even Wilson or Rocky Mount...but it needs to clean up the Memorial Drive area and northern Greenville area for it to succeed. This is really an industrial area anyway and the City should be moving to make it more high tech industrial. It does have some floodplain issues though as well.
I've been a fan of rebranding. Making it the region's airport, like Coastal Carolina RA. But I would be against Eastern Carolina. I would love to see East Carolina Regional Airport. But I don't know if that is too close to ECU, and if they would have a problem with it.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
A little bit more than that.

See Kinston was a viable community that is gradually losing its manufacturing. The GTP was all about putting "something" in ENC to help. Kinston had the most viable airport for the project, because (ironically) it was not intended to be a passenger airport...its out in the middle of nowhere. The idea was to have an airport that could have a HUGE runway and accommodate THE LARGEST airplanes in the world. Kinston actually made the most sense (over New Bern, Greenville, etc...) because it had land. Problem is it didn't have roads or (I dont think) rail. So its been deemed a failure. The idea itself may have been a failure but the lack of roads made it a failure.

When a business looks to relocate they have boxes communities have to check to make the relo viable.

1) Access to Rail
2) Interstate Access
3) Quality workforce (or community college to train)
4) Quality of Life

The GTP could arguably fail in all 4 of those categories....what it did have was this huge runway.

IMO, it can work if the roads are built (and Interstate designated and Greenville (even Farmville) is utilized as a quality of life area. The City of Kinston has a long way to go with cleaning itself up and the politics do not help its cause.
GTP JUST received rail access in the past 2-3 months. They've needed a rail spur since before GTP was built.

Luckily that spur will eventually connect to the CSX line in Elmer (north of Kinston). That will give Greenville another rail route to the Port of Morehead.

I would love to see CSX extend their track north of Parmele, to Kelford. That would give us a fairly direct rail line to Norfolk and their port.

You can never have too many direct routes to ports.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:25 AM

3,287 posts, read 5,437,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Of course Greenville isn't a destination city. It will never be that. But, it should be the airport for Eastern/Northeastern NC. A few other destinations would make all the difference in the world. Add a combination of Atlanta, Washington DC, NYC, and a Florida airport (Orlando, Tampa, Miami).

That would dramatically increase our airline opportunities, while adding very desirable east coast destination cities.

PGV can't compete with western US direct flights, with RDU. But it should compete with these top east coast cities. A 10min drive will beat a 90min drive every day. But its currently a push, or even a nod to RDU, when you factor in all cost.
ECU needs to release information pertaining to where the predominant amount of their students are coming from and we can work from there. If most of their students are coming from a city such as DC then add a direct route to one of our three airports. I think airlines would make us a stop rather than having a bunch of direct routes to those larger cities though i.g. a flight from NYC could make a stop at PGV then continue onto Atlanta. Of course I'm no expert on aviation or the airline industry, I'm just writing based on spectulation and current demand.

And of course making PGV not necessarily compete with RDU but more of a option to RDU could help the city and surrounding counties. Southwest would never enter our market, so lets cross that off. What's another affordable airline?

Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,004,818 times
Zoe's Kitchen has opened in Greenville. I know it's another restaurant...but I'm sure it will employ 20-25 (ore more)people that might not have had jobs previously. Every little bit will help this city grow.

Quote:
ZoŽs Kitchen, a fast-casual Mediterranean-inspired restaurant, has opened in Lynncroft shopping center at 3120 Evans St., Suites 101-103, beside Ulta Beauty. Itís the chainís 76th location in 12 states and the 10th in North Carolina.

ďThere has been tremendous growth in North Carolina and weíre excited that ZoŽs is a part of it,Ē Adam Hamilton, regional operator of the Greenville location, said in an emailed press release. Signature dishes include chicken kabobs ($8.99), chicken roll-ups ($7.59), hummus plates ($6.99), soups, salads and sandwiches.

Side dishes include no-mayo slaw and potato salads and braised white beans with fresh rosemary. The food is prepared daily from fresh ingredients. There are vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free options.

Dinners for four also are offered, along with an extensive catering menu including boxed lunches and party trays.

The dining room features citrus-colored walls and chairs, large plate-glass windows, a ceiling with exposed ductwork and pendant lighting.

Patrons order at the counter and food is delivered to the table. There is seating for 74 people in the dining room and 32 on the adjacent outdoor patio.

Hours are 11 a.m.-9 p.m. daily. Call 353-0485.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
ECU needs to release information pertaining to where the predominant amount of their students are coming from and we can work from there. If most of their students are coming from a city such as DC then add a direct route to one of our three airports. I think airlines would make us a stop rather than having a bunch of direct routes to those larger cities though i.g. a flight from NYC could make a stop at PGV then continue onto Atlanta. Of course I'm no expert on aviation or the airline industry, I'm just writing based on spectulation and current demand.

And of course making PGV not necessarily compete with RDU but more of a option to RDU could help the city and surrounding counties. Southwest would never enter our market, so lets cross that off. What's another affordable airline?
That's what I was referring to when I said the airline industry has to decide Greenville is viable. In its whole history, its only ever been a leg from Charlotte really...

Think of where airlines are and where they are going...when Southwest comes in, it creates competition, competition that's hard to compete with. They are in Raleigh, so that's the elephant in the room.

Spirit is investing in Mytle Beach as one of its hubs, along with Ft Lauderdale and Dallas....you could maybe get a flight on Spirit to Myrtle (3 1/2 to 4 hour drive) that is viable and then them link you to those two destinations.

Delta is not low cost but can get you to Atlanta...that's basically USAir 2.0

Allegiant left Kinston for Wilmington and now recently left Wilmington...they provided low cost to Orlando/Sanford airport...flew on it a couple of times, it was fine. Doubt they would come to Greenville if they didn't feel Wilmington was viable. Again, what is the cost to get from Raleigh to Orlando? Not much. Since Allegiant considered Kinston, it must have been looking at the market. Maybe they'll come back some time and look at Greenville again.

AirTran and JetBlue both fly into Raleigh and Charlotte...not good for Greenville. If either pulls out of Raleigh, maybe Greenville is an option.

So there are not really any options outside of maybe getting Spirit to offer a Myrtle beach flight once they expand.

As much as we complain about Greenville, the reality is that smaller airports are dying out...even Wilmington and Asheville (more destination types) struggle. But as those bigger airports get unwielding, smaller options prevail...its happened in Miami, Orlando, Houston, Chicago, New York and others...it may happen at RDU at some point.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 PM

910 posts, read 1,167,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
ECU needs to release information pertaining to where the predominant amount of their students are coming from and we can work from there.
About 85% of their students come from in state, most of them from Eastern NC. The UNC system has an 18% cap on out of state students.

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/ipar/cust...tBook11-12.pdf

Old 02-07-2013, 12:16 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,004,818 times
If the plans for a downtown baseball stadium don't work out. Do you think there would be any interest in putting a baseball stadium on 264 East? East of the North Campus crossing ( Bradford Creek) area? Maybe a joint partnership between Greenville & Washington to bring a team to that area. It would make things easier to get people in and out. Seems like a lot of land out there that could be used for this purpose. I know it was flooded back in 99, but I don't think it should deter development from that area. If it's put in that area, it could be close to the proposed Eastern Loop around greenville and would allow easier access to people north, south, and east of greenville.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
If the plans for a downtown baseball stadium don't work out. Do you think there would be any interest in putting a baseball stadium on 264 East? East of the North Campus crossing ( Bradford Creek) area? Maybe a joint partnership between Greenville & Washington to bring a team to that area. It would make things easier to get people in and out. Seems like a lot of land out there that could be used for this purpose. I know it was flooded back in 99, but I don't think it should deter development from that area. If it's put in that area, it could be close to the proposed Eastern Loop around greenville and would allow easier access to people north, south, and east of greenville.
Honestly, MB...I don't think development in that area helps Greenville. North of the river is best situated for high speed roads, the airport, industrial development and rural buffers.

Now there is a golf course (community didnt work very well), a soccerplex, an intramural complex and a huge apartment complex. Now that that stuff is there, it should probably just be kept as a nice residential type area....problem is that nothing was planned really, its just there. I'm not a big fan of what has happened there unless ECU is going to fully invest in the area. It's destined for another strip corridor that looks like Greenville Blvd. I think its ridiculous and the intramural, golf course and soccerplex are all underutilized, mainly because of their location away from the population.

Something has to go downtown...anything. With the 10th St connector, it will be easy in that direction, and Evans, and Charles and 10St...that's all directions. I think a ballpark would be downtown of nothing...we need to stop building way out and everyone driving to it, there is re-development to do in our interior core.

Oh and btw, Washington could locate a ballpark on the riverfront, they would never go in with Greenville for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina