U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 07:06 AM

77 posts, read 130,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
It is reopening as a gay bar on Feb 21 (I think).
Gentrification!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 10:21 AM

145 posts, read 221,857 times
Something interesting that I just found out. In 2007, Greenville was ranked 12th largest in NC and in 2012 it was ranked as 10th largest in NC. It now is larger then Asheville and Jacksonville and the population grew 10,000 in only 5 years. That isn't even counting the growth in the greater metro area of Greenville, Winterville, Ayden, Farmville, etc. either. It is behind High Point in population by 20,000. Just some facts about the Greenville population.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:57 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,041,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
Something interesting that I just found out. In 2007, Greenville was ranked 12th largest in NC and in 2012 it was ranked as 10th largest in NC. It now is larger then Asheville and Jacksonville and the population grew 10,000 in only 5 years. That isn't even counting the growth in the greater metro area of Greenville, Winterville, Ayden, Farmville, etc. either. It is behind High Point in population by 20,000. Just some facts about the Greenville population.
Greenville is definitely taking off population-wise. I've said it before, it is a very exciting time to live in Greenville. Is it perfect? No. But it is getting better by the day. There will be growing pains as Greenville gets larger and larger. Fortunately, the huge bulk of new residents are here to work. As you see it get larger and larger the elements of Greenville that commit the majority of crimes should be more marginalized. If you look at the crime stats year over year you can easily see that the rates are coming down as more and more educated people move here. Combine that with what looks to me to be an all out effort by the various police agencies to crack down in a big way on those elements that do commit the crime and you hould have fairly quick reductions in crime.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,912 times
I think greenville is nearing the 90,000 mark. Also I heard Carabbas was opening this year near Bonefish(since both are owned by the same company)

Old 02-19-2013, 06:55 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,357,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Greenville is definitely taking off population-wise. I've said it before, it is a very exciting time to live in Greenville. Is it perfect? No. But it is getting better by the day. There will be growing pains as Greenville gets larger and larger. Fortunately, the huge bulk of new residents are here to work. As you see it get larger and larger the elements of Greenville that commit the majority of crimes should be more marginalized. If you look at the crime stats year over year you can easily see that the rates are coming down as more and more educated people move here. Combine that with what looks to me to be an all out effort by the various police agencies to crack down in a big way on those elements that do commit the crime and you hould have fairly quick reductions in crime.
What is occurring in Greenville is two fold...first is the creation of high quality university and medical type jobs that serve the entire region...this is bringing more and more out of area and out of state professionals to Greenville. It really is transforming the West side of Memorial Drive from a no man's land to a comprehensive medical district.

The other population change that is occurring is one that is, probably for political reasons, not being appropriately recognized in Raleigh by our state leaders. Greenville is becoming the main regional hub for eastern NC. People continue to move to Greenville from the outlying counties, which should come as no surprise, because much of those counties economy is/was based on agriculture. But with Greenville continuing to grow, more and more jobs are created, which brings in more and more locals to work. These folks like Greenville because it still feels like home, which may be just an hour or so away...places like Ahoskie, Williamston, Washington, Columbia, etc...have seen negative growth or 0 net growth because of folks moving out and most often moving to Greenville. The census numbers show this but the State has not really talked about it. The next census will be a dramatic change from 1990 levels. Hopefully the state will finally acknowledge this and work toward cleaning up what's left over in those other communities as well as providing the necessary infrastructure improvements for the Greenville area. Its as simple as going from a rural economy to a urban economy.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 AM

3,321 posts, read 5,182,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
I bet our official population numbers will always be understated. Think of all the college students who are here and don't fill out the Census papers. There are here 9 months to year long, and get "replaced" once they move away. It wouldn't surprise me if you could add 15k to that number.

But of course assuming gives you nothing. The only thing that matters is the official numbers.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 AM

Check out this quote from the City Manager:

Quote:
The city and (East Carolina University) finally got together and formed a partnership to get new redevelopment, including a performing arts hall, hotel commons and mixed-use housing for ECU's Lifelong Learning Program so that vibrant elders could live in mid-rise apartments and condos downtown along First Street, adjacent to the Town Commons, and along Reade Circle, adjacent to the university.
I am unsure of the date of that meeting, but the mid-rise apartments for the older population is new to me. Maybe try to plug into that "retired, but not done" crowd.

Here is the page for the Lifelong Learning Program: East Carolina University - Lifelong Learning Program

Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 AM

For the second time in two months, the City Council has banned a commercial retailer from downtown and west Greenville, outlawing tobacco shops from the certified redevelopment areas on Thursday, just as it did with Internet cafes in December.

It is the first of their kind among eastern North Carolina's major cities

The 14 current stores will be grandfathered in. But the council allowed for amortization, a way to close nonconforming shops.
_______
Both types of businesses are a magnet for crime. My "laissez faire vs. public health" feelings are conflicted, but I am glad to see them restricted, and hopefully eventually gone.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 PM

910 posts, read 1,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I am unsure of the date of that meeting, but the mid-rise apartments for the older population is new to me. Maybe try to plug into that "retired, but not done" crowd.
Or as the ECU alumni office would put it- easy money.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM

207 posts, read 325,018 times
They're breaking ground in between First Flight Bank and Ruby Tuesday on Memorial Dr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina