U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 04:11 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,362,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
...or just having more shoppers in the region. Home Depot doesn't seem to struggle in other areas where they are close to Lowes, and in some cases they seem to outperform Lowes- After all, they are a heck of a lot bigger than Lowes. Actually, I'm kind of surprised that the Home Depot where I live hasn't closed; it is going toe to toe with 2 Lowes, and a third only 20 minutes away.
The problem HD had in Greenville is that Greenville is usually the "regional" hub for shopping...but there is Lowe's in Washington, another in east Greenville, and in Kinston, New Bern, etc...Home Depot should have done some more homework on the market and not just built right next door. The K-mart location would be a great place for Home Depot and you have to wonder how long K-Mart is going to be in business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 06:24 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,042,448 times
Kmart claims their Greenville location is one of their more successful stores, but they rarely abandon old locations. If Target ever moves to a new location to open a SuperTarget, then perhaps Kmart can move into University Commons to replace the old Target. That whole current Kmart shopping center, along with some of its outlying buildings on Arlington could certainly use a wrecking ball and a do-over.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:32 PM

872 posts, read 1,718,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The problem HD had in Greenville is that Greenville is usually the "regional" hub for shopping...but there is Lowe's in Washington, another in east Greenville, and in Kinston, New Bern, etc...Home Depot should have done some more homework on the market and not just built right next door. The K-mart location would be a great place for Home Depot and you have to wonder how long K-Mart is going to be in business.
Sounds like a similar coverage to what we have- seems as thought there are Lowe's everywhere. HD is not as strong in VA, similar to NC, but one thing we haven't seen in our region is the next door neighbor path that HD seemed to take in Greenville. In our situation HD and Lowes fought over a site and the HD developer won in zoning (single store site versus shopping center). Zoning officials here seem to try the strong arm approach to managing how retail expands and as of late, have tried to balance retail in several areas in an effort to avoid empty big box storefronts.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:52 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,031 times
Quote:
That whole current Kmart shopping center, along with some of its outlying buildings on Arlington could certainly use a wrecking ball and a do-over.
yes - what he said

Old 02-26-2013, 10:57 AM

29 posts, read 30,443 times
Probably the 2 largest contributing factors to Home Depot's lack of success in the Greenville market was that the Greenville store was not a full-line store but was a prototype store and that the location made in simple to choose between Lowe's or the less merchandised Home Depot.

Jacksonville has 2 Lowe's and a Home Depot I believe as well and they seem to support it fine when there are multiple location of Lowe's in other smaller towns within close proximity to Jacksonville.

I find it interesting that Kohl's also chose to build a prototype sized store in Greenville. I don't believe it can be expanded to a full sized store now that Dick's has been built so close. Not sure though.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:33 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,044,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by encecu View Post
I find it interesting that Kohl's also chose to build a prototype sized store in Greenville. I don't believe it can be expanded to a full sized store now that Dick's has been built so close. Not sure though.
Kohl's built a smaller store because that is the current trend. The days of the super sized store aren't over but they're building a whole lot less of them now and opting instead for a smaller footprint.

Even the new Walmart in Greenville isn't a super sized store. It's small compared to other recent Walmart Super Store builds.

It's just like giant indoor malls. Those are done for now and aside from one in New Jersey that's taking forever to finish, there are none being built or proposed anywhere in the US, to my knowledge. Commercial real estate went through the exact same sub prime problems that residential housing did.

There is no explanation for why The Home Depot built such a small store. That wasn't the trend back when it was built right before I moved here.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 PM

286 posts, read 553,038 times
I didn't know the Kohl's was smaller than average. What do their stores look like normally?

Old 02-26-2013, 03:24 PM

3,287 posts, read 5,437,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
I didn't know the Kohl's was smaller than average. What do their stores look like normally?
Samething I thought, Greenville's Kohls looks just like the rest I've seen in size.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:25 PM

29 posts, read 30,443 times
The normal Kohl's store has 2 front entrances.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:33 PM

45 posts, read 62,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Samething I thought, Greenville's Kohls looks just like the rest I've seen in size.
The Greenville store is smaller by about 25%. The average size of a Kohls is 86,500 sqft while the Greenville store only has 68,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina