U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 04:27 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,044,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
A little nugget about the Southwest bypass, it is expected to be built to interstate standards.
I thought it was going to be more like the eastern side of the Greenville 264 bypass, with intersections and traffic lights? It will cross over 13 surface streets and has an interchange with 11 of them. That's an awful lot of ramps and bridge overpasses to get it to Interstate standards. Interstates are also supposed to be limited access and they're showing 11 interchanges in 4 miles. That's not limited access.

Now I have read where there is a desire to make the new road limited access but I can't see it given the number of interchanges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 05:08 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,362,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I thought it was going to be more like the eastern side of the Greenville 264 bypass, with intersections and traffic lights? It will cross over 13 surface streets and has an interchange with 11 of them. That's an awful lot of ramps and bridge overpasses to get it to Interstate standards. Interstates are also supposed to be limited access and they're showing 11 interchanges in 4 miles. That's not limited access.

Now I have read where there is a desire to make the new road limited access but I can't see it given the number of interchanges.
It needs to be limited access and less interchanges. ENC should not be held to a lower standard by the DOT, which has happened continually as they widen Highway 17. The public hearing maps show two interchanges and the Firetower Rd extension as being one of them, which is supposed to happen at the same time as this project. The DOT website has now correctly changed the schedule of the project to start at 264 and move toward Ayden, rather than the way around as it was listed previously.

http://www.ncdot.gov/projects/Greenville/

I have real doubts that that quad would ever happen...and there is no reason that 264 from Greenville to Raleigh can't be an interstate considering it connects to I-95 and I-795. IMO, they need to drop the quad crap and just focus on the designating the road as an Interstate...then the bypass sections from Ayden to north of Greenville can be an interstate spur. Greenville is the 10th largest city in the state and moving up the list every 10 years, the fact that it isn't listed as having Interstate designation looks to be that someone is not doing their job correctly.

Last edited by HP91; 03-05-2013 at 05:20 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 06:41 AM

24 posts, read 31,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
My husband spoke to the Manager of Bonfish Grill last night & he said a Mattress Factory going in there. He said that the are planning on putting Carabba's near the Mall but not sure where.
Are you serious? Another mattress store to show off to my out of town guests?

I'm like a kid.....Where and when is Carrabba's coming???!!!

Old 03-05-2013, 08:41 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,188,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
The 785 part is a typo, right? I like the route, it ties all our cities together a bit better.
It is. Someone was too quick on the draw.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxidriverx View Post
Are you serious? Another mattress store to show off to my out of town guests?

I'm like a kid.....Where and when is Carrabba's coming???!!!
Mattress Firm and Sleepy's and a few others seem to be the hot franchise's right now....it was yogurt stores a few years ago.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:44 AM

228 posts, read 521,673 times
A friend shared the following with me today, "There is a huge student housing (private) complex about to go up across the street from ECU. It’s directly across from the CRW and Campus Towers – the old Georgetown apts. I don’t know the company’s name, but it shouldn’t be difficult to find out; I’ll ask around."

Does anyone have any information on who is building this, the company name, etc.? Thanks!!!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:57 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,188,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post

Yes, it is planned to be a controlled-access highway, 70mph. Otherwise, what is the point of having a parallel road with stoplights?

Here is a rundown of the road starting on the Ayden side going towards Greenville.
  1. The first southern intersection NOT in the corridor is Jacksontown Road.
  2. Old NC 11 will be reconfigured to intersect at a right angle. A new service road will be built on the western side of the intersection to reach the businesses who used to use Eliot Dixon Drive (that intersection will be removed)
  3. Going northward, NC 11 will split either for the business or bypass route.
  4. Going southward on Business NC 11, there will be an "off-ramp" that starts at Old Snow Hill Road. It will overpass Bypass NC 11 and end up back on NC 11.
  5. Bypass 11 will overpass Old Snow Hill Road.
  6. NC 102 will overpass Bypass 11 west of Gumberry Road. There will be an interchange here.
  7. Bypass 11 will overpass Abbott Farm Road, right beside the western intersection of Abbott Farm and Cheek Farm Road. Cheek Farm Road will now dead end on either side of the Bypass.
  8. Bypass will overpass NC 903.
  9. Pocosin Road will overpass the Bypass, in between Tallwood Court and Davenport Place.
  10. There will be an intersection with Forlines Road. Forlines will overpass. It will occur near the intersection of National Ave and Pennant Drive (which starts at US264A/US13).
  11. Now this next one is a complex intersection, so I will further break down the moving parts.
    A) The current Davenport Farm Road will dead-end.
    B) A rerouted Davenport Farm Road will be constructed further south and intersect with Bell Author Road. This road will overpass the Bypass.
    C) The Bypass will overpass US264A/US13 right at the current intersection of Davenport Road.
  12. Frog Level Road will be rebuilt straighter and overpass the bypass. This will occur due east of Turnage Road.
  13. The Bypass will overpass the railroad
  14. Stantonsburg Road will be straightened and overpass the Bypass. This will occur in the curve where the Stantonsburg Road Recycling center is currently.
  15. The final intersection will occur at US264, to form a four-leaf clover intersection.

There will be interchanges at:
  • Bypass over US264
  • Bypass over US264A/US13
  • Forlines over Bypass
  • NC102 over Bypass

and overpasses at:
  • Stantonsburg over Bypass
  • Bypass over railroad
  • Frog Level over Bypass
  • Davenport Farm over Bypass
  • Pocosin over Bypass
  • Bypass over NC903
  • Bypass over Abbott Farm
  • Bypass over Old Snow Hill
  • Reconfigured NC11 South over Bypass

It is four interchanges over 11 miles. You reversed your numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
It needs to be limited access and less interchanges. ENC should not be held to a lower standard by the DOT, which has happened continually as they widen Highway 17. The public hearing maps show two interchanges and the Firetower Rd extension as being one of them, which is supposed to happen at the same time as this project. The DOT website has now correctly changed the schedule of the project to start at 264 and move toward Ayden, rather than the way around as it was listed previously.
The Firetower Road extension will connect to Forlines Road, and use that interchange.

Last edited by MrBojangles; 03-05-2013 at 10:14 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningNorm View Post
A friend shared the following with me today, "There is a huge student housing (private) complex about to go up across the street from ECU. Itís directly across from the CRW and Campus Towers Ė the old Georgetown apts. I donít know the companyís name, but it shouldnít be difficult to find out; Iíll ask around."

Does anyone have any information on who is building this, the company name, etc.? Thanks!!!
If so...that would be a major downtown project....that is sorely needed for that area. Seems the "college housing" community is figuring out that redevelopment of close by housing is where the market is now, rather than these bus and ride communities that became all too prevalent during the last decade.

Note that ECU has planned a College of Business Building on the block between Cotanche and Evans fronting 10th Street and the City will be streetscaping Evans very soon between 10th and Reade....would be a perfect time to redevelop the block between Cotanche and Evans fronting Reade Circle....maybe some mixed use?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:06 AM

The Firetower Road extension will connect to Forlines Road, and use that interchange.[/quote]

Yeah and I should correct that the Firetower Rd extension is planned to connect after the bypass is built but at least is on the drawing board. Would be nice if they could expedite it to connect prior to the entire bypass being built which could provide a smaller bypass if you will to Winterville in advance of the road being done to Ayden.

That probably makes too much sense for the DOT though.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:07 AM

228 posts, read 521,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
If so...that would be a major downtown project....that is sorely needed for that area. Seems the "college housing" community is figuring out that redevelopment of close by housing is where the market is now, rather than these bus and ride communities that became all too prevalent during the last decade.

Note that ECU has planned a College of Business Building on the block between Cotanche and Evans fronting 10th Street and the City will be streetscaping Evans very soon between 10th and Reade....would be a perfect time to redevelop the block between Cotanche and Evans fronting Reade Circle....maybe some mixed use?
Absolutely. Good developments for downtown! Anyone have any info on this project?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina