Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 AM

892 posts, read 1,341,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I saw they had demolished the old AAA car lot on Greenville Blvd. and had already staked out new bld. corners...anyone know what is being built?
i wish they could demolish more of the buildings on Greenville Blvd. & rebuild...especially the old McFadden Music building. That place is screaming for a bulldozer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 09:26 AM

286 posts, read 652,781 times
Do you mean the Piano & Organ Distributors building?

McFadyen's old building is at the mall and houses Pier 1 imports I believe.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:29 AM

145 posts, read 266,479 times
Not sure if this would be considered Greenville area development but maybe someone will find it interesting.

Ayden breaks ground on million dollar park
This is a HUGE deal for Ayden right now because there isn't really a place for town events like a July 4th celebration or stuff and we don't have a town commons. I believe that Ayden is going to be important in the future because it provides a small town atmosphere but it isn't far at all (10 min to Winterville) from the city. I know some of y'all think that it is pointless for Ayden to be included in the southeast bypass but Ayden is very smart about thinking about the future and they are very strict about making sure each new business has enough landscaping and looks decent. Sorry about rambling about Ayden but I just wanted to say my thoughts on the importance of the town.

Also, I completely agree with you Mr. Bojangles that Stantonsburg Road needs some improvement. Considering that its basically the main road to get to one of the main employers in Greenville, and its the first road people see when they come into Gville, it deserves a streetscape.

One thing that does sort of trouble me is that with all this development I am not sure that Greenville can afford all of the improvements they need. I thought I heard that the development committee or something has used up it's money for the year already? I would think the City would provide all the resources they need since redevelopment is the main focus of Greenville right now.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:12 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
Not sure if this would be considered Greenville area development but maybe someone will find it interesting.

Ayden breaks ground on million dollar park
This is a HUGE deal for Ayden right now because there isn't really a place for town events like a July 4th celebration or stuff and we don't have a town commons. I believe that Ayden is going to be important in the future because it provides a small town atmosphere but it isn't far at all (10 min to Winterville) from the city. I know some of y'all think that it is pointless for Ayden to be included in the southeast bypass but Ayden is very smart about thinking about the future and they are very strict about making sure each new business has enough landscaping and looks decent. Sorry about rambling about Ayden but I just wanted to say my thoughts on the importance of the town.

Also, I completely agree with you Mr. Bojangles that Stantonsburg Road needs some improvement. Considering that its basically the main road to get to one of the main employers in Greenville, and its the first road people see when they come into Gville, it deserves a streetscape.

One thing that does sort of trouble me is that with all this development I am not sure that Greenville can afford all of the improvements they need. I thought I heard that the development committee or something has used up it's money for the year already? I would think the City would provide all the resources they need since redevelopment is the main focus of Greenville right now.
We gotta increase our tax-base, which is difficult with how much of the land is occupied by non-tax paying entities (Hospital, ECU, City, County, State etc). But it is hard to bring in new business, without cleaning up the area more. Insert chicken-and-egg.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:14 PM

The roof is going onto the basketball practice facility at Minges. The construction company has a webcam to allow anyone to watch the progress here.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:29 PM

The Census came out with their 2012 population estimate for counties.

Pitt County population is now 172,554, up 2.6% from 168,148 in 2010.

Surrounding counties have the following numbers:

Beaufort - 47,507, down 0.6%
Craven - 104,770, up 1.2%
Edgecombe - 55,954, down 1.1%
Greene - 21,429, up 0.3%
Lenoir - 59,227, down 0.5%
Martin - 23,961, down 2.2%

2012 pop estimates for cities are not out yet. Greenville in 2011 was at 86,017.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:09 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post

The roof is going onto the basketball practice facility at Minges. The construction company has a webcam to allow anyone to watch the progress here.
I wonder if they're going to leave the tree inside the building.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:15 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
The Census came out with their 2012 population estimate for counties.

Pitt County population is now 172,554, up 2.6% from 168,148 in 2010.

Surrounding counties have the following numbers:

Beaufort - 47,507, down 0.6%
Craven - 104,770, up 1.2%
Edgecombe - 55,954, down 1.1%
Greene - 21,429, up 0.3%
Lenoir - 59,227, down 0.5%
Martin - 23,961, down 2.2%

2012 pop estimates for cities are not out yet. Greenville in 2011 was at 86,017.
None of this surprises me. I was looking at the detailed stats for Pitt and the surrounding counties a couple of weeks ago. These numbers don't tell the entire story as there has been a significant demographics shift in some of the surrounding counties and towns like Williamston. I've seen it before. It's called White Flight. The demographics for Greenville has been relatively even with a slight bias toward African Americans. Most of the surrounding towns and counties have seen significant numbers of whites leaving and African Americans moving in. Williamston and Kinston have seen remarkable changes in racial bias since 2000 and is continuing.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:04 AM

Unity Free Will Baptist Church on 14th St is moving on up.....eventually.

That congregation is looking to move out of their old digs and into a new $7.2 million facility on Charles Blvd, near Bluebill Drive. That is right southeast of The Bellamy Apartment complex in the Bells Folk area.

The rate-limiting step is the selling of the 14th St church.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
None of this surprises me. I was looking at the detailed stats for Pitt and the surrounding counties a couple of weeks ago. These numbers don't tell the entire story as there has been a significant demographics shift in some of the surrounding counties and towns like Williamston. I've seen it before. It's called White Flight. The demographics for Greenville has been relatively even with a slight bias toward African Americans. Most of the surrounding towns and counties have seen significant numbers of whites leaving and African Americans moving in. Williamston and Kinston have seen remarkable changes in racial bias since 2000 and is continuing.
Another shift in demographics is occurring in Beaufort County. You have significant growth in the western side, due to the proximity of Greenville. While the eastern part is.....not experiencing that type of growth. The political dynamics are prime to meet head on sooner before later, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina