U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2013, 05:22 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,188,387 times

Advertisements

Moral of the story, if you need to drive, stay off of Arlington Blvd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 06:34 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,042,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post

Moral of the story, if you need to drive, stay off of Arlington Blvd.
Ironic and fitting that the ER route is Arlington.
It's gotta be destined to get a median like Charles and Firetower.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:43 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,188,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Ironic and fitting that the ER route is Arlington.
It's gotta be destined to get a median like Charles and Firetower.
That is exactly the reason. At least my theory. The Medical District is the MAJOR place of employment. I think this map illustrates the need for more roads that go to the MD, that are better maintained.

Arlington, in its current condition, can't do it on its own. We really need a limited-access road going through the city. Just something with no stoplights. But that will never occur.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:34 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,362,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Go back and read what I wrote carefully. I didn't say that anybody's white or black population was moving to Greenville. I said that the population growth in Greenville has been even and with a slight bias towards African Americans. I also said the white populations of Williamston and Kinston were leaving and the African American populations were increasing in those cities. Where are the whites going and where are the African Americans coming from? I don't do that kind of research for free. The data is there, you just have to find it.

Insofar as the whites and African Americans that are moving to Greenville goes, I have to assume that they are professionals for the most part. 2 reasons. 1: They are building no new low income housing in Greenville. Either the numbers of low income moving to Greenville is small or the low income housing is getting awfully crowded. They are also building (and haven't for a very long time) no new trailer parks anywhere in Pitt County. In fact, thousands of trailers have been removed from Pitt County. 2: If you dig into the income demographics for Pitt County and Greenville, you'll see that the biggest increases in population have been in Greenville's middle class and up. There have been small increases in the poor population but it pales next to the middle to upper increases. It is reasonably safe to assume that the huge majority of people that are moving here are here to work. They are buying the new homes that are being built hand over fist now.

The next 2 to 3 years is going to see Pitt County and Greenville's population swell like never before. The medical and legal facilities are being built like gangbusters. And all of those new professionals are going to need new homes, places to shop and restaurants. It truly is an exciting time to live in Pitt County and Greenville.
I am amazed by how defensive you are and by how you "assume" things. The reality is the black population is growing in Greenville because many of the younger blacks in ENC are moving to Greenville because it has affordable housing, any jobs, and quality educational and entertainment opportunities. Its just a redistribution of the population when it comes to the blacks and its because of jobs, education and housing. If you were 20 years old and can't find a job in Williamston, where do you go? Greenville...its not white flight as you stated. The reason the black population is growing in these areas is because as I stated the older whites are dying out and younger folks in general are leaving, and the only younger folks staying are typically blacks, who have children, hence the change in population.

Population info is good, but there are reasons for the migrations and changes...I'm talking about the reasons for the changes, not making assumptions based on the numbers published.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:23 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,044,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I am amazed by how defensive you are and by how you "assume" things. The reality is the black population is growing in Greenville because many of the younger blacks in ENC are moving to Greenville because it has affordable housing, any jobs, and quality educational and entertainment opportunities. Its just a redistribution of the population when it comes to the blacks and its because of jobs, education and housing.
Where did you get your data to support your position from?

Old 03-20-2013, 05:20 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,362,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Where did you get your data to support your position from?
Real world...I have worked in these areas for over 15 years and am well versed in the migration patterns and development in most of the communities east of Greenville, specifically the low income population.

Data alone doesn't tell you the reasons people move or live where they are, it just report's the migration. Flooding from Hurricanes is a major reason for migration as is the other reasons I listed which affect Greenville's younger population. Older folks (black or white) that are well established in communities are not leaving because they are deep rooted. Thats why I took exception to the "white flight" comment. It is not necessarily that...in many cases the blacks are trying to get out because of jobs. What you are left with is the very poor and uneducated...as well as the older deep rooted.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 AM

145 posts, read 221,998 times
Ummmmm.... Hello? This is 2013. Why does it even matter if there are more blacks or whites moving or leaving? It's still more population and they obviously aren't low income because there is not any low income housing being built. It really doesn't matter as long as there still is a mix of different races and that they aren't low income. I mean, there is no need to keep arguing about this.

Last edited by piratesrock; 03-20-2013 at 08:39 AM..

Old 03-20-2013, 11:23 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,031 times
holy cow - can we move on...you're slowly killing this thread

Old 03-20-2013, 01:46 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,044,801 times
The BlockBuster video on Charles Blvd at Bells Fork is closing. No surprises there.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:55 PM

839 posts, read 1,040,031 times
The reflector today had an article today that included:

Quote:
Pitt County's economic development office is currently pursuing two projects that could add $80 million to the county's tax base & more than 200 jobs to the workforce
Anyone have any knowledge what these could be?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina