U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 01:57 PM

839 posts, read 1,040,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Does anyone know what is going on G'ville Blvd where the old AAA building was located? Looks like 2 separate blds are going in.
probably a yogurt shop & a mattress shop.

Last edited by jpirate; 04-02-2013 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: q
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 02:03 PM

208 posts, read 325,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecusmitty View Post
Does anyone know what is going on G'ville Blvd where the old AAA building was located? Looks like 2 separate blds are going in.
I heard one of the buildings will be a cell phone store, I forgot which carrier.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:07 PM

286 posts, read 553,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalGoldenRetriever View Post
Try living next to one. Get hearing protection.
And that's why they put them in the middle of nowhere.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:03 AM

3,287 posts, read 5,438,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalGoldenRetriever View Post
Try living next to one. Get hearing protection.
Solar farms are loud? I honestly had no clue, I thought it was fairly quite technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
Here are the pictures of the new Vidant Children's Hospital that I said I would post. Sorry for taking a while but I don't go on that side of town too often.

Anyone else notice the stoplight pole in the picture above? Looks they have finally started improving the streetscape of Stantonsburg Road. Even though it probably was just because they needed to replace the stoplights due to the Children's Hospital, maybe they will replace the two other main stoplights in front of Vidant which will improve the look of it even more. Then all they will need to do is to bury the powerlines across the street and then it will look a lot better.
No need to say sorry, I sincerely appreciate those two pictures! I must agree, that area is looking quite nice and modern. If I'm not mistaken, the Children's hospital is supposed to be expandable as well but someone else will need to back up that claim. If the cash is on hand, it would be nice for Vidant to upgrade the facade of the white building(s) that divide the Children's & Heart Hospitals to give the area a uniform look.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:16 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,045,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Solar farms are loud? I honestly had no clue, I thought it was fairly quite technology.
Windmills.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 AM

145 posts, read 222,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
No need to say sorry, I sincerely appreciate those two pictures! I must agree, that area is looking quite nice and modern. If I'm not mistaken, the Children's hospital is supposed to be expandable as well but someone else will need to back up that claim. If the cash is on hand, it would be nice for Vidant to upgrade the facade of the white building(s) that divide the Children's & Heart Hospitals to give the area a uniform look.
It is looking VERY impressive! The Children's hospital is currently 4 stories tall (although for some reason it looks like it is only 3 stories) and they have built it so that in the future they can add 2 more floors to make it a total of 6 stories. It really is a great idea because when they need the space they can add more floors. I haven't ever heard of them doing that before.

I completely agree that the next project should be upgrading the front facade of the main hospital. It is outdated and a couple of coats of paint won't do much good for the long term. Although, I don't think they will be updating the main entrance until they need to expand the main hospital because that is a costly project and they will need to utilize that space as much as possible by building higher. It does seem like they have the same idea of building high because all the major expansions have been built so that they are or will be able to expand to 6 stories.

But Vidant definitely has the extra cash because they had a profit of $112 million last year. Now, if they are allowed to build that new cancer tower/center then they probably will hold off on the main entrance update for a couple more years. Still, a very exciting future for (small...well, not really anymore) Greenville, NC!!!

Old 04-03-2013, 11:00 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,189,357 times
Quote:
It is looking VERY impressive! The Children's hospital is currently 4 stories tall (although for some reason it looks like it is only 3 stories) and they have built it so that in the future they can add 2 more floors to make it a total of 6 stories. It really is a great idea because when they need the space they can add more floors. I haven't ever heard of them doing that before.

I completely agree that the next project should be upgrading the front facade of the main hospital. It is outdated and a couple of coats of paint won't do much good for the long term. Although, I don't think they will be updating the main entrance until they need to expand the main hospital because that is a costly project and they will need to utilize that space as much as possible by building higher. It does seem like they have the same idea of building high because all the major expansions have been built so that they are or will be able to expand to 6 stories.

But Vidant definitely has the extra cash because they had a profit of $112 million last year. Now, if they are allowed to build that new cancer tower/center then they probably will hold off on the main entrance update for a couple more years. Still, a very exciting future for (small...well, not really anymore) Greenville, NC!!!
The six-story total is correct. I hope that the cancer hospital is built on the east side of the Heart Institute, in that grassy area. A project like that neeeds to have a presence shown on Stantonsburg.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
The six-story total is correct. I hope that the cancer hospital is built on the east side of the Heart Institute, in that grassy area. A project like that neeeds to have a presence shown on Stantonsburg.
I just found a application for the cancer hospital and the projected cost of the whole project is $183.5 million. Looks like some kind of medical facilities plan from the State says that there is a need for an additional 65 acure care beds in the Pitt/Greene/Hyde area and of course since Vidant is basically the only hospital in this area with that kind of money they will most likely be building it. At first I heard that they had to apply and get permission before building it but if NC already wants a facility like this in the area then I am almost positive they will allow it. It just isn't enough to build a heart institute and a brand new Children's hospital! Looks like Vidant just won't stop growing!

Old 04-03-2013, 12:13 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,189,357 times
Quote:
I just found a application for the cancer hospital and the projected cost of the whole project is $183.5 million. Looks like some kind of medical facilities plan from the State says that there is a need for an additional 65 acure care beds in the Pitt/Greene/Hyde area and of course since Vidant is basically the only hospital in this area with that kind of money they will most likely be building it. At first I heard that they had to apply and get permission before building it but if NC already wants a facility like this in the area then I am almost positive they will allow it. It just isn't enough to build a heart institute and a brand new Children's hospital! Looks like Vidant just won't stop growing!
That is how it works. The state figures out what the area needs, and then allows hospitals to "apply" for the thing. In this case acute beds.

It gets dicier in metros with more than one hospital system, like Raleigh. There you have WakeMed, Rex/UNC and Duke "fighting" to expand their hospitals.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
That is how it works. The state figures out what the area needs, and then allows hospitals to "apply" for the thing. In this case acute beds.

It gets dicier in metros with more than one hospital system, like Raleigh. There you have WakeMed, Rex/UNC and Duke "fighting" to expand their hospitals.
I sort of thought it was for that. Have you heard anything else about the student housing mixed development downtown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina