U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 04:59 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,196,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Yeah, I don't think there is anything there. It is pretty much used only as parking. This will remove the "state road" status, and give complete control back to ECU.
Yup, the only thing east of the ECU Steam plant is an apartment complex, until Elm Street. Hopefully ECU will be able to buy that apartment complex soon and tear it down as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
In a news release I got off of Facebook, TD Goodwin Construction announces:

Beginning May of 2013: A new 10,000 Square Foot facility for Greenville Awning & Neon. The building will be located across from the new Walmart on Hwy. 33 East. Construction includes the full renovation of an existing 4,000 SF building and the addition of a new 6,000 SF building. We feel very fortunate to be part of such an exciting project here in Greenville, NC.
Veeeryyy interesting. If you recall, Greenville Awning & Neon is currently shares a location with Scotts Cleaners on the corner of 10th & Evans. That whole block is owned by Ward Holdings LLC, which will be a highly desirable area. Ward Holdings is one of the partners for the Georgetown Commons Apartments.

I wonder if GA&N was coaxed to move, or if it was their own decision. It will be interesting to see if Scott Cleaners is moving. I would think if that occurs, then future redevelopment is coming.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Veeeryyy interesting. If you recall, Greenville Awning & Neon is currently shares a location with Scotts Cleaners on the corner of 10th & Evans. That whole block is owned by Ward Holdings LLC, which will be a highly desirable area. Ward Holdings is one of the partners for the Georgetown Commons Apartments.

I wonder if GA&N was coaxed to move, or if it was their own decision. It will be interesting to see if Scott Cleaners is moving. I would think if that occurs, then future redevelopment is coming.
Check out this article from January about the 10th Street connector.

"It's a steep price for local business owners like those at Scott's Cleaners on 1-th Street and other's along Farmville Boulevard."

"...at Scott's Cleaners on 10th Street it's business as usual despite the very real possibility there soon may be no business there at all."

"Business and property owners say they have until October to move out or close down their businesses."

Road expansion project causes financial pains for local business - WNCT | 9 On Your Side Greenville NC & Eastern NC News

I remember the story when it came out now. I wonder if Scott's Cleaners are indeed closing down/moving. They own another store on Farmville, which sadly will be affected by this roadwork. Hopefully it works out for them, but I could see some nice redevelopment occurring here.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:53 PM

3,288 posts, read 5,446,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
It's a good time to be in the Greenville rubble industry!
LOL; same exact thing I was thinking. It seems like there is more and more demolition going on around these days, and its actually needed demolition. But with demolition, comes that painful thought of the Imperial fire.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:22 AM

1,676 posts, read 2,046,715 times
Quote:
Check out this article from January about the 10th Street connector.

"It's a steep price for local business owners like those at Scott's Cleaners on 1-th Street and other's along Farmville Boulevard."

"...at Scott's Cleaners on 10th Street it's business as usual despite the very real possibility there soon may be no business there at all."

"Business and property owners say they have until October to move out or close down their businesses."

Road expansion project causes financial pains for local business - WNCT | 9 On Your Side Greenville NC & Eastern NC News

I remember the story when it came out now. I wonder if Scott's Cleaners are indeed closing down/moving. They own another store on Farmville, which sadly will be affected by this roadwork. Hopefully it works out for them, but I could see some nice redevelopment occurring here.
Should we not assume that Scott's has to close because the state wants to widen 10th from Evans-westward? Even without a turning lane, that dry cleaners sits very close to the street and is probably in the way. My guess is there will be a right turn lane at that location. I at least hope so anyway.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:30 AM

1,676 posts, read 2,046,715 times
I don't know if any of you have seen Mayor Thomas in person, but I met him yesterday. I was a bit taken aback by his quiet demeanor and the fact that he is not a very big man. Clearly with things becoming progressive since he was elected, he carries a big stick! Haha!

Old 05-06-2013, 12:20 PM

Not development, but bad news still:
Greenville, NC #2 for unmarried moms.
Greenville, NC Ranked 2nd For Unmarried Moms | digtriad.com

Old 05-06-2013, 12:54 PM

910 posts, read 1,168,806 times
Greenville: come for Pirates' football, stay to raise shawty without a man.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:57 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,051,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
Not development, but bad news still:
Greenville, NC #2 for unmarried moms.
Greenville, NC Ranked 2nd For Unmarried Moms | digtriad.com
It's bad news on what level? I can see a whole lot of presuming here.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:37 PM

Well you're right, I'm not particularly suggesting that all woman need to be married before having children but the reason why I say this is bad news is because it seems as if in Greenville most of the people I know who are/were pregnant are younger. It's running rampant there with 70% of woman having children without being married. Now if Greenville were a city full of young professionals, then that would be more understandable because they can actually afford their children meaning the amount on welfare wouldn't keep increasing but for Greenville yuppies are in a minority and most of the people who are having children are those who work at Bojangles, Wal-Mart, or even being unemployed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina