U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-10-2013, 08:26 AM

1,093 posts, read 841,863 times
"Hell we could even build a Inland Port to connect us to Wilmington and that would be a genius development that would be critical to Greenville becoming a job center. I'd create zones near the Inland Port that have no taxes for 5 years if you bring 150 jobs at the minimum. I don't mind the budget missing revenues from companies if more people are employed because either way tax-revenues would increase. I still want the Tobacco district to become a robust, innovative district that could help lead Greenville to have more tech jobs. I still would like Vidant to buy some land in Winterville and hopefully build a small medical center there. I know this is a little expensive and unlikely, but I wouldn't even mind the city and ECU building a street-car system along Charles Avenue because I know it would get plenty of usage. I guess I'm a dreamer, but I just believe that Greenville has much under utilizied potential."

Some interesting ideas...I think ECU can have a viable role in redeveloping the warehouse district and I would include their warehouses in that redevelopment. I have made the point before that ECU's art building is one of the worst structures on campus and that site on 5th St would be better suited for on campus housing....the warehouse district (next to the Art Museum) could be an ideal area for ECU to relocate its Arts programs to in the long run, which would be a huge catalyst, a small business incubator near where ECU's business school (to be located between Evans & Contanche on 10th) could also lead to Tech type companies in a warehouse setting...that LoDo (Lower Downtown) area of downtown redevelopment would lead to the Dickinson corridor seeing change. The Federal Courthouse and New Georgetowne are huge projects to get this area moving. The 10th St Connector will be a gamechanger for the area. The transit center and eventually Evans streetscape improvements are others on the books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 AM

286 posts, read 278,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Greenville is a entitlement community and receives federal HUD money every year to allocate in the way they choose, they have chosen to target this area with the money they get every year. Every larger city gets this money...in the east Wilmington, Jacksonville, and Rocky Mount all get it...as does Raleigh and Charlotte...etc...

Someone else's neighborhood is part of the community, the city. Crime affects everyone and if you allow crime to go on, it will spread. Ridding the parts of the community of the areas that harbor crime (like abandoned houses, illegal clubs, or loitering convenience stores) is a deterrent. The police can't do their job if they have to operate in a third world country. And the folks that own property in those areas (being devalued by the problem properties) pay tax dollars to...how would you feel if you had a property next door to you where drug dealers hung around and no one would do anything about it?

Not doing anything is not a solution to a problem. That's what went on for a long time and it made the situation worse.
Federal money still comes from citizens.

I still don't agree with any of this, sorry. If churches and civic groups want to help those areas then that's their prerogative, but the general population should not be forced to.

Either way I satisfied my displeasure by moving out of the city limits. Spirited debate is good though :-)

Old 05-10-2013, 09:42 AM

746 posts, read 594,126 times
From Calvin Mercer's newsletter:

PARKING DECK AND OFFICE BUILDING--CURRENT STATUS AND NEW INFORMATION (item 8)
Increasingly, citizens are asking questions about this project. I relayed some of them to the staff. Here is a brief history and where we stand.
Originally, two structures, an office building and parking deck (Moseley Lot, corner of Fourth and Cotanche), were to be built, with the plan that about 40 deck spaces would be leased to those working in the office building. The empty deck lot was to be used as a staging and construction access site to build the office first so that Evans St. would not have to be closed. The projects are in close proximity.
The potential tenants for the office building, combined with the high bids for the construction, has made the office building unfeasible. The city owns the 180,000 dollar lot where the office was to be built, and it is unclear what the future holds with this lot. Proceeding with the deck first complicates construction of any future office building on this site, because the empty deck lot is needed as a staging and access area so Evans St. will not be closed. Since it is inadvisable to close Evans St., construction activities on any future office building would have to occur off hours. However, this kind of schedule could increase cost of any future office building.
Since we no longer have the 40 guaranteed office workers to lease deck lots, this could impact the servicing of the deck debt.
COST AND NEW INFORMATION
Initially, cost of the deck was 3.8 million. To make sure we have enough, staff said they are putting 4 million in the proposed budget to come before the Council at a later meeting.
Initially, the plan was to expend 1.7 million from a deck savings account that previous councils have tucked away for the time when a deck needs to be built and borrow the rest. Last night, staff said in the proposed budget they will suggest that the entire amount be borrowed, in order to free the 1.7 million for other capital projects.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post

I still don't agree with any of this, sorry. If churches and civic groups want to help those areas then that's their prerogative, but the general population should not be forced to.

Either way I satisfied my displeasure by moving out of the city limits. Spirited debate is good though :-)
Having a philosophical issue with Federal HUD money is a separate issue than whether Greenville should utilize that money for the benefit of their community. Staff are paid with the federal money and things are being done with the federal money as they are in every larger city and state in the country.

Pitt County gets the same money, just not as much...there is nowhere you can move to where this money is not being spent...unless you head to an undeveloped nation...jes sayin'.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
From Calvin Mercer's newsletter:

PARKING DECK AND OFFICE BUILDING--CURRENT STATUS AND NEW INFORMATION (item 8)
Increasingly, citizens are asking questions about this project. I relayed some of them to the staff. Here is a brief history and where we stand.
Originally, two structures, an office building and parking deck (Moseley Lot, corner of Fourth and Cotanche), were to be built, with the plan that about 40 deck spaces would be leased to those working in the office building. The empty deck lot was to be used as a staging and construction access site to build the office first so that Evans St. would not have to be closed. The projects are in close proximity.
The potential tenants for the office building, combined with the high bids for the construction, has made the office building unfeasible. The city owns the 180,000 dollar lot where the office was to be built, and it is unclear what the future holds with this lot. Proceeding with the deck first complicates construction of any future office building on this site, because the empty deck lot is needed as a staging and access area so Evans St. will not be closed. Since it is inadvisable to close Evans St., construction activities on any future office building would have to occur off hours. However, this kind of schedule could increase cost of any future office building.
Since we no longer have the 40 guaranteed office workers to lease deck lots, this could impact the servicing of the deck debt.
COST AND NEW INFORMATION
Initially, cost of the deck was 3.8 million. To make sure we have enough, staff said they are putting 4 million in the proposed budget to come before the Council at a later meeting.
Initially, the plan was to expend 1.7 million from a deck savings account that previous councils have tucked away for the time when a deck needs to be built and borrow the rest. Last night, staff said in the proposed budget they will suggest that the entire amount be borrowed, in order to free the 1.7 million for other capital projects.
Sounds like building a bigger building (and finding additional tenants) is necessary to make the project work (additional leasing of parking spaces)...this may have been expected, downtown developers always want to go up another floor or two to make things feasible....would be a great spot for a downtown hotel that could lease spots in the nearby deck...or maybe condos need to go up top.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:53 AM

232 posts, read 212,189 times
Not really a development, but Channel 9 put a traffic camera on the Hampton Inn. Its a pretty good view for those who arent in Greenville. LiveEye 9 - Greenville Stream - WNCT | 9 On Your Side Greenville NC & Eastern NC News

Old 05-10-2013, 12:43 PM

286 posts, read 278,434 times
That is a very good view. Image quality is good too.

Old 05-10-2013, 01:05 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pf227 View Post
I heard that a Red Robin and Dave and Buster's are coming to town. Has anyone heard those rumors?
Dave and Busters will come to Greenville when it hits 1,000,000 residents. Red Robin? It's not unlikely since they already have a presence in Eastern Carolina (Jacksonville and Wilmington). We already have a Five Guys. Do we really need a Red Robin?

Old 05-10-2013, 01:17 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,557,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frisch View Post
It used to, not so much any more. Last year alone over 1 trillion dollars was borrowed from others and created by the Federal Reserve. The FR creates 85 billion dollars every month to buy treasuries and bad debt from the big banks.

The 17 trillion number you hear is just how much we owe to others. There is intergovernmental borrowing that is at least that much also. And then there are unfunded liabilities that total close to 200 trillion dollars. Don't worry about the money, it will never be paid back. And yes, this is all true.

The reason that interest rates are held so low is if they were to rise by even a few points, the money we'd have to pay on the interest alone for that $17T would consume every dime that the taxpayers give to the IRS.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:11 PM

681 posts, read 747,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Dave and Busters will come to Greenville when it hits 1,000,000 residents. Red Robin? It's not unlikely since they already have a presence in Eastern Carolina (Jacksonville and Wilmington). We already have a Five Guys. Do we really need a Red Robin?
Red Robin is a much different "experience" than Five Guys.

I like both, but Cookout is my favorite burger place these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina