U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 12:52 PM

910 posts, read 1,170,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
There are privacy concerns, but if they don't store the information, then I'm good with ALPRs.
Or more importantly sell it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 11:37 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,205,314 times
MacDonald's is building a new restaurant at the new Wally World. At least this is news to me.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:16 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,058,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
MacDonald's is building a new restaurant at the new Wally World. At least this is news to me.
It was on the plans.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:47 PM

3,291 posts, read 5,456,289 times
Quote:
McDonalds always builds at Wal-Mart; it's like they have a under the table deal that allows both of them on the same site.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:12 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,051,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
McDonalds always builds at Wal-Mart; it's like they have a under the table deal that allows both of them on the same site.
The owner of Hwy 55 (Andy's) is on record in saying he always attaches his business to any new Walmart that gets built in his business' region. Smart man.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:44 PM

145 posts, read 222,442 times
Quote:
I also understand your reasoning but as a urban enthusiast I don't believe that highways such as the South Bypass encourage the growth that's needed within the city limits but instead it encourages sprawl to spring up along the route. If we want to be a proactive community, we need to look to cities such as Raleigh, Charlotte, Etc. and see what they've done right and what they've done wrong, obviously both of them need their beltways but building the outer-loop Beltway has encouraged even more sprawl in Raleigh which leads to even more traffic jams. All cities are prone to heavy amounts of traffic, especially the hubs of a region but I don't think this route will do it's job well.

And I'll be the first to admit that Memorial Drive has terrible traffic, hell I lived in West Haven so anytime I needed to leave I ran into traffic but how many of those cars are really going the route of the Southern Bybass? It seems like most of them are living in Winterville.
Yes, I do agree that it is not exactly the best plan but anything that will help relive traffic off of Memorial will help but I am not sure the other proposed eastern half of the bypass would be needed for a while due to the fact that we really do not need a huge bypass, we really need some sort of limited access road that does bypass most of the city traffic but isn't a huge highway. Maybe just a four lane road divided by a median or something. But I do not think the DMV thinks about this because they don't want to have to upgrade the bypass later when we need a bigger road. I am also opposed to the huge urban sprawl because I believe that we should develop our city carefully by not letting it grow up too fast without planning it carefully. I don't think it would happen very fast but eventually it would start spreading out especially because of all the cheap farmland all around the bypass.

I also think that it largely depends on the city's mayor and city council as well. If they are smart about the planning of it then they won't let it get so huge but unlike Raleigh I do not believe we will have this problem for maybe 10 years or so down the road which would be AFTER they build the bypas which will be built in I think 2020. There simply isn't enough growth in Greenville yet to cause a huge urban sprawl for many years. First we need to get more industrial business before there would be the issue of growth of this size.

Last edited by piratesrock; 05-13-2013 at 03:57 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It was on the plans.
Quote:
Let me rephrase. McDonalds is soon to break ground.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 PM

3,291 posts, read 5,456,289 times
Quote:
Let me rephrase. McDonalds is soon to break ground.
LOL; oh ok, I guess we both lacked proper reading comprehension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratesrock View Post
Yes, I do agree that it is not exactly the best plan but anything that will help relive traffic off of Memorial will help but I am not sure the other proposed eastern half of the bypass would be needed for a while due to the fact that we really do not need a huge bypass, we really need some sort of limited access road that does bypass most of the city traffic but isn't a huge highway. Maybe just a four lane road divided by a median or something. But I do not think the DMV thinks about this because they don't want to have to upgrade the bypass later when we need a bigger road. I am also opposed to the huge urban sprawl because I believe that we should develop our city carefully by not letting it grow up too fast without planning it carefully. I don't think it would happen very fast but eventually it would start spreading out especially because of all the cheap farmland all around the bypass.

I also think that it largely depends on the city's mayor and city council as well. If they are smart about the planning of it then they won't let it get so huge but unlike Raleigh I do not believe we will have this problem for maybe 10 years or so down the road which would be AFTER they build the bypas which will be built in I think 2020. There simply isn't enough growth in Greenville yet to cause a huge urban sprawl for many years. First we need to get more industrial business before there would be the issue of growth of this size.
I understand what you mean, the traffic issue needs to be solved and I can understand the DOT wanting to allocate the funds towards a highway rather than just building a boulevard that will need to be upgraded a few years after its built, but nonetheless it seems like the DOT and Greenville could come up with a much better plan the Southern Bypass. I approved of the highway before solely because I loved seeing new highway construction and beltways, but after living in DC I know that highways don't do a city justice. Yes, DC doesn't have enough highways in the city but the fact of the matter is the outskirts that have massive highways and spaghetti junctions still face heavy traffic although they have highways. We need to realize that traffic congestion will always arise at certain hours of the day such as 5 o'clock rather than wasting money on a highway that will get backed up regardless.

If the DOT or whomever monitors the stop lights need to fix Memorial Drive and plenty of other roads in the Greenville area for they are backed up because of the lack of intelligent design. For one last time I was back home, I could drive down Memorial and a light turns red, when it turns green the next light turns red which is idiotic and will only cause more traffic especially out of drivers like myself that will speed up at a Yellow light as opposed to stopping at the red light. How about they make it so its almost like a limited access road on Memorial, place no turn on red signs with a camera on any road that intersects with Memorial. For example from 4:30-6:30 one cannot make a turn on red on Memorial Drive, and the length of the Green light last for like 10 minutes. That makes things a bit more limited in a sense.

Up here in DC/MD we also have these roads that can reverse at times which helps tremendously. Pretty much it looks as if there are two center lanes and they can change directions depending on the time of the day. I'll post a picture of what I'm talking about from Google Street view for those who don't know what I'm talking about. Imagine driving down Memorial and at 4:30 PM do to the DOT knowing the traffic is leaving a specific area, the road shifts from being three lanes on each side to four lanes on one side and two on the other.

At times of the day the center lane acts as a regular center lane, and sometimes an extra lane. If I'm not mistaken, on this particular road it can expand to five lanes in one direction and two in the other direction. So when traffic is entering DC it has four or five lanes going that direction, when traffic is leaving DC there are four or five lanes in the leaving direction and during regular hours the road has a center lane and three in each direction.

There called 'Reversible Lanes'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversible_lane

I mean we really just need to weigh in on what we really want this city to become; of course people will always want to live in their cookie-cutter homes but so many young families also want to live in the city as well therefore lets turn our focus to the city limits as opposed to building more highways. I want Greenville to be a city with trolleys or light-rail but that won't happen in the near future, and I understand that but highways won't alleviate traffic on Memorial.

Last edited by BMORE; 05-13-2013 at 08:51 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 PM

Check out this 60 Minutes segment.

Counterinsurgency Cops: Military tactics fight street crime - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Cops in Springfield, Mass are bringing counterinsurgency tactics to the city. It sounds very impressive.

FYI, counterinsurgency try contain or quell an insurgency (gangs) taken up against it. In the main, the insurgents seek to destroy or erase the political authority of the defending authorities in a population they seek to control, and the counter-insurgent forces seek to protect that authority and reduce or eliminate the supplanting authority of the insurgents.

I would love for our new Chief to look at this tactic. A 25% decrease in violent crime is very significant.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 PM

A new hanger is being built at the airport, for additional 10 spaces. They will be the first hangers with private space, AND it is being 100% paid for by airport revenue.
Greenville Airport Building $400,000 Hangar For Private Planes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina